PDA

View Full Version : So you need a gun lock purchased in the last 30 days to pickup a handgun

Dont Tread on Me
11-30-2007, 4:59 PM
I understand that you need a receipt saying you bought it in the last 30 days. Is there anything stopping you buying that lock of a friend (i.e. not a gun store) and having a hand written receipt?

If I sell my buddy a gun lock then buy it back from him, have I bought a lock in the last 30 days?

I'm trying to avoid a trip to Wallymart etc. Yes I have a big safe but the new fed law makes you buy a lock. I already have more locks than I know what to do with....

M. Sage
11-30-2007, 5:13 PM
I don't think that qualifies for a handgun, only for rifles. For a handgun, you're getting a lock. Seems like a lot of guns come with locks from the manufacturer.

railroader
11-30-2007, 5:28 PM
I just buy a lock from walmart and return for refund after I pick up my handgun. I don't need more gun locks. Mark

hypertex
11-30-2007, 6:20 PM
Just bought a Remington 700 action...the action only. FFL said I had to get a lock. It was cheap but...whasssssup wit dat?

blkA4alb
11-30-2007, 7:08 PM
Just bought a Remington 700 action...the action only. FFL said I had to get a lock. It was cheap but...whasssssup wit dat?

Because the receiver is a firearm.

fairfaxjim
11-30-2007, 9:01 PM
I once had to buy a cable lock for a bare Fab-10 lower. Now tell me how that's gonna work? (The lock, not the Fab-10!)

M. Sage
11-30-2007, 9:21 PM
I once had to buy a cable lock for a bare Fab-10 lower. Now tell me how that's gonna work? (The lock, not the Fab-10!)

Well, when you get an upper, it'd work. :p

I think I have a cable lock around here somewhere... they keep getting shot somehow.

VegasND
11-30-2007, 9:29 PM
I think I have a cable lock around here somewhere... they keep getting shot somehow.

Thanks for the idea! ;) I've been wondering what to do with the ones I've acquired over the last few years despite the fact none has been bought by itself. One was given to me when I took my CCW class, the others were included with purchase.

tenpercentfirearms
11-30-2007, 9:37 PM
It says the lock and a receipt with date and make and model number of the lock within 30 days.

My plan for when I run out of Project Childsafe freebies is to just do a lock trade in program. You bring me a lock, I give you another lock. There is nothing prohibiting that, I just can't use the lock you bring in without a receipt.

Now why anyone would take their time and effor to drive down to Walmart, buy a lock, drive to your FFL, buy your gun, and then return back to Walmart and stand around for a lock return is beyond me. My time and energy is worth more than a $7 lock. :confused:

hitman13
11-30-2007, 9:57 PM
get a safe??

TonyM
11-30-2007, 10:01 PM
get a safe??

A safe doesn't matter if you're buying a handgun that doesn't come with a lock. It's a Federal thing. At least thats the story from the 4 FFLs I've used in the last 6 weeks.

thedrickel
11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
A safe doesn't matter if you're buying a handgun that doesn't come with a lock. It's a Federal thing. At least thats the story from the 4 FFLs I've used in the last 6 weeks.

I have been successful with signing the safe affidavit for the CA DOJ and bringing a lock to satisfy the federal thing when picking up a handgun.

bohoki
11-30-2007, 10:49 PM
It says the lock and a receipt with date and make and model number of the lock within 30 days.

My plan for when I run out of Project Childsafe freebies is to just do a lock trade in program. You bring me a lock, I give you another lock. There is nothing prohibiting that, I just can't use the lock you bring in without a receipt.

Now why anyone would take their time and effor to drive down to Walmart, buy a lock, drive to your FFL, buy your gun, and then return back to Walmart and stand around for a lock return is beyond me. My time and energy is worth more than a $7 lock. :confused:

it is when you consider you can get 550 rounds of federal 22 for 9.88
if the gunstore wants to keep the reciept you still can take it back for instore credit then get the ammo

of course its not worth driving 20 miles for because even at 20 miles a gallon there and back ,there and back at $3 a gallon is $12

xs2k
12-02-2007, 1:16 AM
Does this apply to Private party transfers OR new handgun only?

EDIT: nevermind, found answer on google. I guess "ALL" means all, including used handguns.

fairfaxjim
12-02-2007, 9:58 AM
Well, when you get an upper, it'd work. :p

The Fab-10 has a closed bottom mag well (as in closed with casting) filled up with a permanently attached magazine. I guess you could possibly get the lock through the charging handle port if you took the bolt carrier group and charging handle out. Wouldn't really need a lock then.

If anyone wants to try it, the project childsafe locks are CA DOJ approved. Have someone give you one with a no charge receipt (you can't resell tham) and see what your FFL does. It doesn't say you have to have paid for it

TonyM
12-02-2007, 10:30 AM
The Fab-10 has a closed bottom mag well (as in closed with casting) filled up with a permanently attached magazine. I guess you could possibly get the lock through the charging handle port if you took the bolt carrier group and charging handle out. Wouldn't really need a lock then.

If anyone wants to try it, the project childsafe locks are CA DOJ approved. Have someone give you one with a no charge receipt (you can't resell tham) and see what your FFL does. It doesn't say you have to have paid for it

I was told by 2 FFLs to go to the local Police Department and get the free lock. Then just have the front desk officer write something to the likes of "Free gun lock given on xx/xx/xxxx".

So, free should work.

Bassxhead
12-02-2007, 12:42 PM
http://www.projectchildsafe.org/tour_info.cfm?state=CA
I may do that next time.

Dont Tread on Me
12-02-2007, 4:31 PM
http://www.projectchildsafe.org/tour_info.cfm?state=CA
I may do that next time.

Cool. i bet they are next to the CCW applications:-))

Seriously, I think I'm just going to buy one off my girlfriend and have her give me a hand written receipt for it.

Salty
12-02-2007, 6:00 PM
If you buy a lock off your friend, just type up a recipt on the computer or what not. I mean, if you bought a lock, you bought a lock, it shouldn't matter who it came from.

railroader
12-02-2007, 7:33 PM
I work across the street from a 24 hour walmart thats why I have no problem returning a gun lock for refund. It's no hassle at all. Mark

davedog665
12-02-2007, 8:39 PM
well what about this i went to the local pd and asks for a couple locks and got um for free heard that did this state wide. i recieved no recept but i can aqurie as many locks as i have firearms. seems kinda silly maybe just go to the local pd and get a sign paper stamped for the locks bingo bango.

N6ATF
12-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Even the desk volunteers who hand out the locks can't be arsed to do that, let alone paid employees.

Speaking from personal experience.

J_Rock
12-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Can someone post a stripped lower with a lock installed in it for posterity stake? :D

Ironchef
12-03-2007, 8:31 AM
I have been successful with signing the safe affidavit for the CA DOJ and bringing a lock to satisfy the federal thing when picking up a handgun.

This is the alternative. Signing the affidavit saying you have an approved DOJ storage device at home.

packnrat
12-03-2007, 6:38 PM
no gun lock needed if you fill out the paper saying you own a gun safe.:TFH:

Dont Tread on Me
12-03-2007, 6:53 PM
no gun lock needed if you fill out the paper saying you own a gun safe.:TFH:

I'm not talking about CA law. I'm talking about the new fed law. No safe afidavid for the fed law.

FortCourageArmory
12-03-2007, 8:41 PM
I'm not talking about CA law. I'm talking about the new fed law. No safe afidavid for the fed law.

This is correct. A gun lock must accompany every gun I sell. I provide the Project Childsafe locks (until they run out) free of charge.

bohoki
12-03-2007, 10:31 PM
yes cause the project childsafe locks are not california approved

tenpercentfirearms
12-04-2007, 9:31 PM
This is correct. A gun lock must accompany every gun I sell. I provide the Project Childsafe locks (until they run out) free of charge.

Is that because of your location? Long guns do not require a gun lock.

yes cause the project childsafe locks are not california approved

Dude, do your research before you make a fool of yourself.

http://safetydevice.doj.ca.gov/dsearch2.asp

Scroll down to "Project Childsafe" and see that they are all on there. It wouldn't make much sense for the state to let PDs hand these out when they are not on the list.

Res
12-05-2007, 7:57 AM
Is there anything stopping you buying that lock of a friend (i.e. not a gun store) and having a hand written receipt?

If I sell my buddy a gun lock then buy it back from him, have I bought a lock in the last 30 days?

ca_brit, i do this everytime i buy a firearm, and haven't had 1 problem. It looks better if its out of a receipt book. But i've used a handwritten note on a piece of paper before as well.

I always put:
who i bought it from
make
model #
price i paid ($0.01):p
date of purchase
and i sign it

I don't know if you need all that, but I haven't had any troubles.

PIRATE14
12-05-2007, 8:50 AM
Man.....I am always amazed at the amount of wanking over a 7 dollar lock.....

Wank to the state and the feds.....

Socal858
12-05-2007, 8:53 AM
Can someone post a stripped lower with a lock installed in it for posterity stake? :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/texaneatworld/0817071636bSmall.jpg

heres my old stag i sold

in this status this weapon is now safe from all small children and will not be able to destroy the innocent inner city lives it is designed to conquer and will not oppress any minorities.

N6ATF
12-05-2007, 11:16 PM
in this status this evil assault weapon is now safe from all small children and will not be able to destroy the innocent inner city lives it is designed to conquer and will not oppress any minorities.

fixed.

bohoki
12-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Is that because of your location? Long guns do not require a gun lock.

Dude, do your research before you make a fool of yourself.

http://safetydevice.doj.ca.gov/dsearch2.asp

Scroll down to "Project Childsafe" and see that they are all on there. It wouldn't make much sense for the state to let PDs hand these out when they are not on the list.

how long have they been approved?

sorry ive been under a rock

socalguns
12-06-2007, 12:02 AM
hand written receipt is fine, just be sure its a valid receipt, and the lock is approved (on the list)

a valid receipt is lists the seller, items sold, the date when sold

socalguns
12-06-2007, 12:08 AM
my project child safe locks are approved (on the list)