PDA

View Full Version : My Pimped Out Remington 870

joel1316
11-30-2007, 7:09 AM
Waiting anxiously for 7 months, I have finally received a key part of my Remington 870 Project; my One Shot Tactical Supply (OSTS) 870/AR15 stock adapter. I just want to thank the guys over at One Shot Tactical Supply in Canada for resurrecting the old Argonaut Armament 870/AR15 (Brobee) stock adapter. This 870 project was supposed to be a simple and practical Home Defense (HD) shotgun, but quickly turned into a Pimp My Shotgun Project, LOL.

The picture of the 870/AR15 adapter is from One Shot Tactical Supply’s website.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/joel1316/9-26-2006-4_56_42-PM_AGW870.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/joel1316/870-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/joel1316/870-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/joel1316/870-8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/joel1316/870-6.jpg

The 870 RAS (Rail Adapter System) is from Knights Armament Company (KAC) which is long enough for back up iron sights (BUIS) from Yankee Hill Machining (YHM) and the EOtech, without looking too crowded in my opinion. The front sight is specially designed to mount on the same plane as the rear sight. The rear adjustable sight flips down when not needed and its large aperture sight works fine when co-witnessing with the EOtech, but I would prefer to have the EOtech reticle to be slightly higher. I did have a small problem mounting the RAS on to the 870’s receiver. I had to open up one of the holes on the RAS to make it work. Supposedly it’s a common problem that 870 RAS owners have had to work with, sad you have to make modifications after paying so much….

The stock and buffer tube are from Rock River Arms (RRA). I had to figure out a way to mount shell holders onto the stock, so I ordered a shell holder by Shotforce (ATI Stocks). I drilled two holes onto the right side of the stock and put two brass inserts for the shell holder to be screwed into. While making the order, I got a Shotforce “M4” recoil pad as I like the feel of it on another shotgun

To round out the project, a PIMPED out shotgun would not be complete without a light source. So, I ordered up a Surefire 918 forend flashlight.

battlehatch
11-30-2007, 7:31 AM
Holy Accessories, Batman! That thing looks wicked. The foreend alone costs more than my Mossberg... I want one.

randy
11-30-2007, 8:02 AM
I'm sure the mall ninjas around the world salute you.

StraightShooter
11-30-2007, 8:23 AM
I like it....... i wouldnt say it all that "mall ninja" like either. Its made of some pretty high end parts. Nice Job.

pullnshoot25
11-30-2007, 9:01 AM
How much does that intruder incinerator weigh?

joel1316
11-30-2007, 9:08 AM
Yeah, I figured it would be a Mall Ninjas tool of choice, LOL...

I suck at trying to gauge weight, but I'd have to say that its above 12 pounds. Its not a field gun, so weight shouldn't an issue as I won't be slinging it on my back for miles of hiking :). I'll be heading out soon when I get the chance to run it through its paces. I'd have to say that the weight will be my friend when it comes to shooting slugs...

rksimple
11-30-2007, 9:10 AM
Looks nice. We'll wait for a range report.

elSquid
11-30-2007, 9:57 AM
Waiting anxiously for 7 months, I have finally received a key part of my Remington 870 Project; my One Shot Tactical Supply (OSTS) 870/AR15 stock adapter. I just want to thank the guys over at One Shot Tactical Supply in Canada for resurrecting the old Argonaut Armament 870/AR15 (Brobee) stock adapter. This 870 project was supposed to be a simple and practical Home Defense (HD) shotgun, but quickly turned into a Pimp My Shotgun Project, LOL.

The picture of the 870/AR15 adapter is from One Shot Tactical Supply’s website.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/joel1316/9-26-2006-4_56_42-PM_AGW870.jpg

Very interesting. I don't know that I could wait 7 months for one though. I guess they are custom made per order?

-- Michael

joel1316
11-30-2007, 10:12 AM
The adapter was originally made by Argonaut Armament, but I guess they discountinued the adapter. OSTS then bought the rights to produce the adapter. They kept running into production issues that just dragged along month by month. I have other shotguns for sporting purposes, so waiting wasn't a problem. I supposedly, have the first adapter from the first batch of adapters.

mxpatriot51
11-30-2007, 2:39 PM
How well does that mount hold zero? What's the cheek weld like as far the EOtech height goes.

DedEye
11-30-2007, 2:51 PM
It looks great, except I would just skip the BUIS altogether with the front and rear sights so close together. There's gotta be a way to attach the front sight at the end of the barrel for a full sight picture.

Also, I'd advise another, no frills shotgun for HD now. Save that badboy for the 3 gun circuit ;).

mm1
11-30-2007, 5:11 PM
LOL, a little overboard IMO for HD, but well done!
Nice 870!

joel1316
12-01-2007, 8:10 AM
It started out to be simple with just the rail and an EOtech.
Then the stock felt too long, so I wanted an adjustable stock.
The BUIS works, but basically put on for aesthetic tacticool purposes.
The Surefire seemed to be a necessity...
I figure it will be a safe queen for the time being until I run it at the range and see how practical it all is in its present form.
I think the BUIS is just about the only thing that is "over the top" :)

The EOtech and cheek weld seems to be fine, I'll know better after I run some shells through the Beast.

You guys have to agree that its looks cool though, LOL.... Maybe not practical, but cool... You gotta do a fun build sometimes.

DedEye
12-01-2007, 11:04 AM
It started out to be simple with just the rail and an EOtech.
Then the stock felt too long, so I wanted an adjustable stock.
The BUIS works, but basically put on for aesthetic tacticool purposes.
The Surefire seemed to be a necessity...
I figure it will be a safe queen for the time being until I run it at the range and see how practical it all is in its present form.
I think the BUIS is just about the only thing that is "over the top" :)

The EOtech and cheek weld seems to be fine, I'll know better after I run some shells through the Beast.

You guys have to agree that its looks cool though, LOL.... Maybe not practical, but cool... You gotta do a fun build sometimes.

Definitely looks cool :). Bone stock configs keep the gun from snagging (such as a side saddle and a couch) in a situation where you really need it.

-hanko
12-01-2007, 2:16 PM
It looks great, except I would just skip the BUIS altogether with the front and rear sights so close together. There's gotta be a way to attach the front sight at the end of the barrel for a full sight picture.

Also, I'd advise another, no frills shotgun for HD now. Save that badboy for the 3 gun circuit ;).
I'd ditch the sights on the rail, and I'd then ditch the rail. Instead, I'd drill/tap the receiver for a rail just long enough to hold the eotech with a quick release mount.

I'd install regular ghost ring sights front and back...either oem or aftermarket.

After shooting the gun, you'll understand why shotgun stocks are built with plenty of drop;). A 12ga with a straight rifle stock (and a rifle with virtually no recoil at that) will give you an interesting experience.:D Not to mention that your stock will make it impossible for you to mount the gun instinctively...like in a life/death situation.

An adjustable stock is of no advantage on a defensive shotgun with a relatively long barrel...it does a nice job on an sbs with a 14" or less barrel, but you won't get an sbs in CA.

A suggestion might be to build the gun to do what you want it to do. So far it 'looks cool'. You can do a lot better if your goal is an hd gun.

Though i could be wrong:D

-hanko

trojanwar2
12-02-2007, 8:46 AM
Great Pic!!! :43::43:

joel1316
12-02-2007, 6:34 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, but I think I've attained my goal of building a "cool" shotgun. :) Maybe I'll pick up a Benelli Super Nova for real HD work.... ;)

Nra-Life-Member
12-02-2007, 7:46 PM
I saw Budsgunshop have the 870 with the folding stock on sale for $ 299. There is also a $ 30 rebate from Remington..

cobra198
12-02-2007, 8:14 PM
Badass... Looks like u put some serious cash into that thing. Nice!

soopafly
12-03-2007, 9:13 AM
Good thing you got that recoil pad on that stock...if you fire slugs out of that thing, you're gonna need it. Ask me how I know.:chris:

ysr_racer
12-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Looks cool, but what the hell do you do with a thing like that?

SFFRONTMAN
12-03-2007, 11:15 AM
I went the mesa Tactical route with my 870 but I absolutely love the feel of the gun now.

joel1316
12-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Good thing you got that recoil pad on that stock...if you fire slugs out of that thing, you're gonna need it. Ask me how I know.:chris:

There is also a thin sorbothane pad inserted inside the pad for added reoil relief, LOL...

soopafly
12-03-2007, 1:49 PM
There is also a thin sorbothane pad inserted inside the pad for added reoil relief, LOL...I learned the hard way that I needed the recoil pad.:kest:
After a while though, I got tired of the shotgun's weight and stripped it back down to a more basic form. I'm now back to a standard stock, sidesaddle, and Surefire fore end–no other accessories.

BTW, I didn't know One Shot Tactical bought rights to produce the Argonaut Armament adaptor and rail for the 870. I bought the adaptor and full length top rail directly from Jason about 5 or 6 years ago. Here's what my 870 used to look like:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/soopafly_photos/gunz/PICT0947-sm.jpg
The EOTech now resides on my Noveske N4 light carbine and the CAR stock and YHM flip ups are going to go on the .22 AR when I get around to buying it.

joel1316
12-04-2007, 7:14 AM
Rights to the adapter went through a couple of other guys before landing with OSTS. We'll see if they hang on to the idea or sell of rights again, LOL... Glad to see my 870 has a brother here... :)