PDA

View Full Version : Cali Bushmaster Varmint

weazel
11-29-2007, 9:15 PM
I own a Bushmaster Varminter rifle that I bought a few years back out of state in the military. If I remove the pistol grip and added a monstermangrip or equivelant I can legally posses it in california. The law says Bushmaster Assault Rifle.. Just wondering if anyone knows about this??
Thanks

Hoop
11-29-2007, 9:22 PM
I'm not sure I'd try it.

Just sell it out of state & use the money to build a cali-legal one. They're almost more fun to build than they are to shoot anyways :)

Prc329
11-29-2007, 9:24 PM
I'm pretty sure you would need to replace the lower with an off list one. There are a couple of bushmaster off list ones but you may be pushing your luck.

5150-417
11-29-2007, 9:25 PM
Check the ban list and make sure it's not on there. Instead of removing the pistol grip get a bullet button.http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28&products_id=308

bwiese
11-29-2007, 9:34 PM
I own a Bushmaster Varminter rifle that I bought a few years back out of state in the military. If I remove the pistol grip and added a monstermangrip or equivelant I can legally posses it in California. The law says Bushmaster Assault Rifle.. Just wondering if anyone knows about this??

NO!!

Bushy Varminters are built on Bushmaster XM15 lower receivers.

I believe any Bushmaster AR-pattern rifle that has a *metal* receiver is in fact built on a Bushmaster XM15 receiver.

The Bushy XM15 is indeed a banned gun on the Kasler list (11 CCR 5499) of formally-identified AR/AK 'series' members. [Bushmaster does make one 'unlisted' receiver ("OLL") - the Bushmaster Carbon 15, which is a carbon-fiber receiver.]

[For a variety of reasons a possible criminal defense to possession of a Bushmaster Varminter may indeed exist, but possession of a Bushy Varminter in CA that's not reg'd as an AW is in no way recommended.]

The "Bushmaster Assault Rifle" to which you refer is listed in the original Roberti-Roos list, and is not an AR15 'series' member. I believe there's a Bushmaster pistol too. It's a quite a bit different semiauto survival? rifle that, IIRC, was mfgd before the Bushmaster/QPI that we know existed as a real company. Again, it bears no relation to any Bushmaster product of today and is not really an AR even though it takes a few AR parts and magazines.

You're best off stripping the XM15/Varminter lower, acquiring a truly "off-list" lower receiver (there's dozens of different makes/models that ain't listed) and building up your Varminter rifle on this new receiver with MonsterMan grip. Sell the spare receiver to someone outside of CA, observing the laws of whatever state you're in as well as Federal laws regarding interstate transfers.

I am assuming (from dim recollection) that the Bushmaster Varminter upper does not have a flash hider and instead has just a plain crowned muzzle. If you are gonna use a MonsterMan grip + detachable magazine, you can have no evil features like flash hiders, folding stocks, etc. etc.

weazel
11-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Bill,
Thanks for the info I will by a "off-list" lower receiver and build it up, also I own the carbon 15 so I'LL I have to do is add the bullet button ??
Thank in advanvce
Rob

bwiese
11-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Bill,
Thanks for the info I will by a "off-list" lower receiver and build it up, also I own the carbon 15 so I'LL I have to do is add the bullet button ??

OK, we got you squared away on the Bushmaster Varminter.

Now onto the Carbon 15....

If it's indeed a Bushmaster Carbon 15, and has no markings saying "Professional Ordnance", then it's truly unlisted. [The earlier Professional Ordnance Carbon 15 AR-type rifles & pistols of the late 1990s - before Bushmaster bought out the company - are, however, formally listed as banned AWs and you can't bring 'em in in any form.]

If unlisted, you can render it into a non-AW before entering California by either fixed mag + BB, or another Monsterman or U15 setup.

Do remember that fixed magazines in semiauto centerfire rifles must NOT be hicap mags, or you've triggered another alternate definition of a CA AW. So use locap mags - and you cannot anyway bring in hicap mags into CA for anything - ARs, Glocks, Sigs, etc. so that should be moot.