PDA

View Full Version : Mental health records submitted to NICS up 100%

Patriot
11-29-2007, 7:24 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/29/gun.checks/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- States appear to be taking more action to keep guns out of the hands of people with mental health problems in the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings, new figures show.

Mental health problems would prohibit potential buyers from purchasing a gun.

Submissions of mentally ill patients' records to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System for gun buyers have more than doubled since the massacre in April, the Justice Department announced Thursday.

Currently, states are not required to send reports of mental health problems, which would prohibit buyers from purchasing a gun.

But after the shootings -- when a student with a history of mental health problems killed 32 people before taking his own life -- the number of submissions to the database grew from 174,863 during the first half of the year to 393,957 from July to November.

The number of states submitting the information also grew, from 23 before the Virginia Tech tragedy to 32 after it.

The majority of the new records came from California authorities, who submitted more than 200,000 entries, the Justice Department said. Ohio boosted the amount of entries from three in March of this year to 7,845 in November.

"Instant background checks are essential to keeping guns out of the wrong hands, while still protecting the privacy of our citizens," Attorney General Michael Mukasey said to the National Association of Attorneys General.

"But as we learned in the tragedy at Virginia Tech, the checks must be accurate and complete to be effective."

Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho was judged a danger to himself and ordered to get outpatient mental health treatment in 2005, but there was no indication he followed up.

Virginia did not report his name to the FBI system because he hadn't been committed to a mental health facility.

Cho bought one of the guns he used in the massacre online from an out-of-state dealer, picking it up from a Blacksburg, Virginia, pawn shop after background checks were complete. He bought his other pistol from a Roanoke gun dealer a month before the shooting.

Officials say making sure information -- such as mental health records -- that would keep a person from buying a gun is available at a national level ensures that the individual doesn't go across state lines to try to make a purchase.

Background checks, however, aren't necessary for firearms purchases made at gun shows or from a private seller, which, according to estimates, account for about half of the guns sold in the United States each year.

I wonder what mental health professionals think about this whole business. IIRC from my psych class, one of their concerns is that negative consequences and social stigmas deter people from seeking help (in general, not in relation to guns at all).

I might be being too sensitive, but the "private seller" wording seems to intentionally fudge the distinction between a dealer/retailer and a private party transaction.

Bizcuits
11-29-2007, 7:32 PM
I don't like the whole mental ill issue, many people may be simply suffering depression, happens to a lot of us. Doesn't mean they aren't, shouldn't or wouldn't be able to safely handle a firearm.

What determines you to be mentally a danger? I've had several friends in bad relationships, make comments about "ah I just want to end it" as a reference to suicide. One ended up having his house raped for guns, knives and pills by Stockton PD.

Would he be barred from ever owning a gun? Because if so, the department he is with now better hurry up and fire him! :mad:

AJAX22
11-29-2007, 8:12 PM
I'd love to see the break down of the people who's names are getting submitted to NCIS by political party.

Don't believe in socialized XXXXXX? He must be antisocial!!!! take away his guns!!

ok so maby I'm a little parinoid.... wait... nevermind... can't even admit to that.

what do they call it when people are actually out to get you? Being Perceptive?

FortCourageArmory
11-29-2007, 8:19 PM
ok so maby I'm a little parinoid.... wait... nevermind... can't even admit to that.

Remember, it's not paranoid if everyone really is out to get you.....

Fjold
11-29-2007, 8:35 PM
Why would California submit the names to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System?

California doesn't use it.

1911_sfca
11-29-2007, 9:29 PM
Why would California submit the names to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System?

Sure they do. BOF submits your info to NICS, and gets an instant answer. Then they sit on it for 10 days.

DedEye
11-29-2007, 9:48 PM
I don't really see a problem with mental health info being forwarded to NICS. If it had happened in VA, at least that bastard wouldn't have been able to purchase the guns from a gunshop. From what I've read/been told, VA doesn't forward the info to NICS so the fact that he'd been institutionalized didn't turn up when he lied on his 4473.

arguy15
11-29-2007, 10:00 PM

People that are crazy could move out of California, and buy a gun if they would not have submited this information.

Bizcuits
11-29-2007, 10:16 PM
I don't really see a problem with mental health info being forwarded to NICS. If it had happened in VA, at least that bastard wouldn't have been able to purchase the guns from a gunshop. From what I've read/been told, VA doesn't forward the info to NICS so the fact that he'd been institutionalized didn't turn up when he lied on his 4473.

Heres the problem though, when the person gets out and is found sane. Or is wrongly institutionalized and released... Who is going to over see them being removed from NICS

M. Sage
11-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Umm, isn't this of people who've been committed? How is this really a bad thing?

There are just more loony people in CA. Cali attracts nutcases like a magnet.