PDA

View Full Version : Dual residency

lower lover
11-29-2007, 2:31 PM
My friend has a house in Montana and in California are there any restrictions if he wanted to buy stag pistol lowers in Montana and then bring them to California, register them, and build them up.

stag1500
11-29-2007, 3:45 PM
Pistols that have magazines housed outside the pistol grip are prohibited by California law.

Glock22Fan
11-29-2007, 3:51 PM
Apparently I was wrong on this comment, so I withdraw it with apologies.

Sgt Raven
11-29-2007, 4:40 PM
You can have as many residences as you can afford, but only one of them is your prime residence or domicile. As you are only allowed one driving license, no matter how many states you live in, the address on your D.L is the one that counts.
Whether these lowers are legal or not, I think your friend would be skating on very thin ice as to me, and I think many LEO's, this would look like deception..

See also this article, which discusses multiple residences in a CCW setting.

http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/gettingstarted/ccwarticle.html

You can have a state ID card for the 2nd home and there's a section on the back of the 4473 that covers it. According to the BATF it's legal. :confused:

hoffmang
11-29-2007, 4:55 PM
It is legal to have two real residences per Federal Law. What is entirely gray is whether you can take your legally purchased "pistol" in Montana, configure it correctly, and import it. California law doesn't really handle dual residency as it regards handguns.

I do think you can bring your own rifles back, but handguns is a place where the law doesn't really go one way or the other and that could be very bad for the importer...

-Gene

chiefcrash
11-29-2007, 5:18 PM
Pistols that have magazines housed outside the pistol grip are prohibited by California law.

only if that's a DETACHABLE magazine...

throw a Bullet Button on that bad boy, and it's no longer an issue

ocabj
11-29-2007, 5:27 PM
The only reason I would consider dual residency with CA and another state (such as AZ), is to keep my existing CA firearms (and CA Assault Weapons) in CA.

I wouldn't ever buy firearms under my other residency and bring them back to California (or vice-versa).

Hunter
11-29-2007, 5:30 PM
It is legal to have two real residences per Federal Law. What is entirely gray is whether you can take your legally purchased "pistol" in Montana, configure it correctly, and import it. California law doesn't really handle dual residency as it regards handguns.

I do think you can bring your own rifles back, but handguns is a place where the law doesn't really go one way or the other and that could be very bad for the importer...

-Gene

This is one area the DOJ actually provided a response in the past. They stated that as long as the resident reported the handguns via "Firearm Ownership Record" form (which is essentially the same form as the "New Resident Handgun Ownership") and paid the $19 ,they didn't see any issues with bringing legally owned handguns back into the state.

chiefcrash
11-29-2007, 5:43 PM
This is one area the DOJ actually provided a response in the past. They stated that as long as the resident reported the handguns via "Firearm Ownership Record" form (which is essentially the same form as the "New Resident Handgun Ownership") and paid the $19 ,they didn't see any issues with bringing legally owned handguns back into the state.

do you happen to have a copy of the letter? if so, i'm sure Hoff would love to get a copy...

caliboy1321
11-29-2007, 5:49 PM
+1 to posting a copy of the letter

hoffmang
11-29-2007, 6:08 PM
I would really like a copy of that letter or a time frame you think it was from. I'll post it to my archive.

-Gene

artherd
11-29-2007, 6:41 PM
Agreed, let's add this to the file.
-Ben

Glock22Fan
11-29-2007, 7:45 PM
I'm not saying anyone is wrong here, but does this mean that you can be considered, for handgun purchases, or CCW permit applications, as a resident of more than one state?

It's possible I am wrong, it has happened before (1957, I think :D)

hoffmang
11-29-2007, 7:58 PM
Glock22,

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b12

-Gene

kermit315
11-29-2007, 8:56 PM
not to threadjack, but how does that legally apply to military....I am from Illinois, have an Illinois address, Illinois DL, FOID, and Illinois license plates...can I buy from both states, here and when I am at home on leave?

hoffmang
11-29-2007, 8:57 PM
Kermit315,

I think you'd have a hard time buying a firearm in California.

-Gene

kermit315
11-29-2007, 9:07 PM
really, because i have bought 3 since I have been here. copy of orders, insurance card for local address, and military id/drivers license is all I needed.

I was wondering more about buying when I am in Illinois temporarily on leave, instead of being out of the Navy and moving back perm.

edit to add: not trying to sound like a smart-a#$, if I screwed up I would like to know now, rather then when DOJ comes knocking on the front door.

brassburnz
11-29-2007, 9:16 PM
There are different rules for non-resident military. As long as they have a copy of their orders, they are treated as residents for the purpose of purchasing personal property such as cars, guns, etc.

They can also bring non-listed handguns into the state and sell them as residents i.e. PPT. I know because I've done this a couple of times.

Randy
NRA Life Member

Hunter
11-29-2007, 9:17 PM
not to threadjack, but how does that legally apply to military....I am from Illinois, have an Illinois address, Illinois DL, FOID, and Illinois license plates...can I buy from both states, here and when I am at home on leave?

A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the memberís permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained.

The key here maybe the words "commutes each day".

hoffmang
11-29-2007, 9:20 PM
I forgot that you'd have orders and a military ID. Quite honestly, tracking acquiring firearms as a member of the military isn't high on my memory bank. But to answer the part that is on topic, you'd still be able to purchase firearms in your home state as well.

-Gene

M. D. Van Norman
11-29-2007, 9:22 PM
Ostensibly, all these laws we fret over are intended to keep criminals from getting firearms.

Glock22Fan
11-30-2007, 6:49 AM
Glock22,

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b12

-Gene

Thank you, Gene, I stand corrected.

Mute
11-30-2007, 7:23 AM
The only reason I would consider dual residency with CA and another state (such as AZ), is to keep my existing CA firearms (and CA Assault Weapons) in CA.

I wouldn't ever buy firearms under my other residency and bring them back to California (or vice-versa).

My feelings exactly. When I get my second home in Nevada, it's going to be for one purpose only. Title 2 and SBRs galore.

Sgt Raven
11-30-2007, 7:39 AM
My feelings exactly. When I get my second home in Nevada, it's going to be for one purpose only. Title 2 and SBRs galore.

I know a guy that lives in Ca, but has a Nv Corp. and that Corp owns some NFA stuff that lives in a safe deposit box in Nv.

Hunter
11-30-2007, 7:49 AM
I know a guy that lives in Ca, but has a Nv Corp. and that Corp owns some NFA stuff that lives in a safe deposit box in Nv.

That is because the "Corporation" is treated as an "individual". So the CA resident really doesn't have any ties to residency status in NV. But since he is an officer of the corp, he gets to use the toys.