PDA

View Full Version : USGI M4/M16 Cleaning Kit

Razgrizo
11-29-2007, 2:51 AM
I have been hearing a lot of people saying the best cleaning kit is the USGI M4/M16 Cleaning Kit. Does anyone know where I can get them? I've been searching everywhere for it...Unless I'm missing one place..

hitman13
11-29-2007, 3:09 AM
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR041-3322-2702.html

Razgrizo
11-29-2007, 3:12 AM
WTF? They sell em' too? Of all the places I didn't check... Thanks so much hitman!

chuck762
11-29-2007, 3:47 AM
The GI kit is ok for emergency use (I have one in my bag at all times) in the field such as a mud plugged barrel and such but I won't use them for regular cleaning. For home and range use I use a 1 piece rod in either nylon coated or stainless. The multi piece rods can break but the reason I don't like them is because the sections never line up 100% and with one not concentric with the others can scratch the bore.

The Otis cleaning kits are a smaller and easier to carry alternative to the old GI ones. Not shure if it would do the trick with a plugged barrel but for cleaning it should work.

http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=308&products_id=783&zenid=44557cd2f70e0352f7363a2b26a601ad

Razgrizo
11-29-2007, 3:52 AM
The GI kit is ok for emergency use (I have one in my bag at all times) in the field such as a mud plugged barrel and such but I won't use them for regular cleaning. For home and range use I use a 1 piece rod in either nylon coated or stainless. The multi piece rods can break but the reason I don't like them is because the sections never line up 100% and with one not concentric with the others can scratch the bore.

The Otis cleaning kits are a smaller and easier to carry alternative to the old GI ones. Not shure if it would do the trick with a plugged barrel but for cleaning it should work.

Is the one you are talking about this one chuck?

http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=308&products_id=783

ocabj
11-29-2007, 6:18 AM
I watched a guy at my club's range use a GI kit to clean a nice looking SPR clone from the muzzle end. I politely told him that he is cleaning incorrectly and that he is going to damage the bore/crown with the GI rod (and to at least clean from the breech end). He said the military does it this way and therefore it is correct. I let him be.

Paratus et Vigilans
11-29-2007, 7:35 AM
I watched a guy at my club's range use a GI kit to clean a nice looking SPR clone from the muzzle end. I politely told him that he is cleaning incorrectly and that he is going to damage the bore/crown with the GI rod (and to at least clean from the breech end). He said the military does it this way and therefore it is correct. I let him be.

My understanding is that the only way to safely clean an M16/M4/AR-15 from the bore end with a USGI multi-piece rod or its equivalent is to PULL everything through from breech to bore, and NEVER use that multi-piece rod to push anything, brushes or patches. It is slow and inefficient, but you can't really have the luxury of one piece cleaning rods and other such niceties in the field on duty, so you do what you need to do. I assume that is not the way you saw the guy doing it!

I long ago went to Tipton Ultra-jags and carbon fiber one piece cleaning rods. The only way to clean, IMHO. :)

chuck762
11-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Is the one you are talking about this one chuck?

http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=308&products_id=783

Otis has several kits but I was thinking about getting one of those to carry in my pack as the GI one is longer and bulky. They haven have a tiny one that fits in the grip.

chuck762
11-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Because everything the military does is the best way and always makes sense. ;) They also don't worry about the cost of barrels plus until the war started the weapons the military has saw more wear and tear (like that guy)from unnecessary cleaning then from actual shooting.

hitman13
11-29-2007, 12:58 PM
funny, i was never taught to clean mine that way

THE PATCHES GO THROUGH THE SAME DIRECTION THAT THE BULLET DOES!!!

11-29-2007, 6:19 PM
I have been hearing a lot of people saying the best cleaning kit is the USGI M4/M16 Cleaning Kit. Does anyone know where I can get them? I've been searching everywhere for it...Unless I'm missing one place..

I don't know about the cleaning kit that came with my M16A2 when I was in the service being best, but I really like the Otis cleaning kits. They are small/compact and they make several different kits. I am sure that you could find one that suits your needs.

TheDM
12-01-2007, 3:31 PM
Y'all are doing this the hard way. Bore snakes rule! Seriously. It's easy and non destructive and goes the right direction.

Just as a note, I also use a USGI cleaning kit, but mine the rods are brass. Hoppes also makes an aluminum but they put a bright orange handle on the thing. Nothing like screaming, "Hey I'm cleaning over here, you can shoot me now".

docsmileyface
12-01-2007, 10:16 PM
The old USGI cleaning kits are no longer being issued. We started getting issued Otis cleaning kits that come in these little clamshell zippered-up pouches with MOLLE webbing on the back. Nice little kit, has the one piece cord to pull through the bore as well as a lot of nice little picks and scraping tools useful for getting those hard to reach spots like the star-chamber.

DrjonesUSA
12-06-2007, 11:35 AM
It's pretty common knowledge that sectional rods should only be used for field expedient cleaning when you absolutely cannot have a one-piece rod and bore guide.

For field cleaning, use a boresnake or the Otis kit as recommended.

For home, get a nice one-piece rod. I like the Tipton Carbon Fiber rods as they are harder than nylon and plastic-coated rods and cannot embed gunk that will scratch your bore and crown.