PDA

View Full Version : WENT TO THE DARKSIDE - KINDA

Timberwolf
11-28-2007, 10:05 PM
I've been looking for a small bore rifle (22lr) that has a similar feel to my prec rifles to use as a training tool and also conserve barrel life on Savannah for another season.

After a lot of research and handling numerous rifles the closest to the feel of my AICS stock was a Savage MK II BTVS. So I am now a Savage owner, Accutrugger and all. I picked it up on Monday evening and am awaiting the delivery of scope and rings on Friday.I'm working Sat so I plan on trying her out a little then, if I can get my hands on some 22LR target ammo. Just hope Savannah doesn't get jealous or it'll be hell to pay.

rksimple
11-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Sounds awesome, but we need pics! I'll probably end up going the same route as those MkII's are pretty economical. And Wolf MT is much cheaper for off hand practice than 308.

Timberwolf
11-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Sounds awesome, but we need pics! I'll probably end up going the same route as those MkII's are pretty economical. And Wolf MT is much cheaper for off hand practice than 308.

I haven't even taken it out of the box yet :D But I'll try to snap some pics this weekend. It'll look very tacticool with its laminate thumbhole stock, and silver everything else including the scope and rings. :eek: But the spare bipod I have is Kryloned OD green and it'll wear my spare TIS quick-cuff. Hell I might even put a stock pack on it for good measure. ;)

rksimple
11-28-2007, 10:29 PM
It'll look very tacticool with its laminate thumbhole stock, and silver everything else including the scope and rings...

Nothin' a little Krylon can't fix...

When you get it all set up, I'd love to come down to APS and have a look see. It'd be a great way to practice with about the same ergos as the AICS.

Timberwolf
11-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Bar any unforseen murphy visits I should be shooting her this weekend, at least breaking her in. I'll let you know how it goes.

CamW
11-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Geez TWolf, you had me worried there for a second. I thought you were going to say you started shooting Cowboy matches!:D

ar15barrels
11-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Geez TWolf, you had me worried there for a second. I thought you were going to say you started shooting Cowboy matches!:D

Now THAT would be something...

Timberwolf
11-29-2007, 8:01 AM

Hmmmm . . . wonder how I'd look in a pair of chaps and a ten gallon hat. :eek:

Prc329
11-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Savage should give you a commission. You probably just sold about 4 or 5 of these rifles.

Vu 308
12-01-2007, 2:38 PM
Savages are hands down one of the best shooting rifles out there out of the box.

The only kill joy is 0 magazine system for high level competition and weaker ejection system than the Remmy and Win actions.

Great starter rigs for this type of shooting and perfect FTR rifles for F-Class.

Timberwolf
12-01-2007, 7:54 PM
Took the new rifle to the range with me today. Due to a SNAFU with the rings I was only able to mount my Bushnell 10X40 mildot instead of the Mueller 8.5-25X50 as I had planned. Even with the lack of an adj objective for close range I was well impressed with this rifle. Yes you heard me, I was impressed with a Savage.

I tested several brands of target ammo (CCI Green Tag, Eley Target, Fiocchi Target, Federal Semi-Auto Match [HV] and GI White Box [that brought back memories])and this rifle kept all under 1" @ 50 yards if I did my part. The Fiocchi went four rounds into one neat hole with one lone hole about 1/4" from the group. The CCI and Fed also did well.

From 50 yards I switched to a steel plate at 100, got my dope (up 7MOA from 50) and proceeded to keep most shots inside the 1 1/2 " circle I had painted on the steel (this is where the Fed shined since it flies at 1200 fps instead of the other std vel 1070 fps).

From there I got my dope for the steel @ 125, 150, 200 and 400 (holdover is at the bottom of the scope for 400). Talk about wind doping, try a .22LR at 400 - most I was able to get in a row was 5 and that was when the wind calmed to a dead still. Here again the Fed shined due to its beginning velocity.

All in all I'm quite pleased with my new toy and think it'll make a great training tool.

DJDace
12-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Hmmmm . . . wonder how I'd look in a pair of chaps and a ten gallon hat. :eek:

Hey! Enough sass-talk about the cowboy shooting you scope-jockeys! ;)

ar15barrels
12-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Hey! Enough sass-talk about the cowboy shooting you scope-jockeys! ;)

I thought the jockeys were the guys on horses.
Guys on horses are the ones wearing the chaps.

Guess that makes YOU the jockey. ;)

DJDace
12-06-2007, 2:09 PM
I thought the jockeys were the guys on horses.
Guys on horses are the ones wearing the chaps.

Guess that makes YOU the jockey. ;)

You're crazy man! Those jockeys are midgets in satin pajamas!