PDA

View Full Version : police officer background process & owned firearms {update: what about OLL!}

swhatb
11-28-2007, 1:07 PM
hi. back in the day, one didn't have to supply a list of owned handguns and rifles with serial numbers during the background process to become a police officer in kali. a buddy of mine is going through the process and the background detective requested this information. does anyone know if this is legal or not to have to supply a list of handguns and rifles with serial numbers :confused: couldn't find anything on the law books during a search. one would THINK this violates a law. thnx.

11-28-2007, 1:17 PM
I have never heard of this practice either. If you don't mind, what department is he applying for?

Bobula
11-28-2007, 1:27 PM
I had to for a few agencies

enchantor
11-28-2007, 2:02 PM
Is that to see if the firearms were involved in a crime at some point?

1911_sfca
11-28-2007, 2:49 PM
Doesn't matter.. they are gonna do an AFS check during the background process anyway. I never had to supply a list, but my background investigator (also the dept rangemaster) made a comment "Gee, you do like Kimbers don't you?" I just chuckled and said, "Yep." I think we had a short conversation and I mentioned that I liked to go to the range for target practice. Then we moved on to another topic.

Not a big deal unless he makes it into one. It is legal to own firearms...

1911_sfca
11-28-2007, 2:54 PM
It is legal to own firearms...

(For now) :chris:

tyrist
11-28-2007, 3:34 PM
LAPD does the same thing during the background process. It is to check that you own only legal firearms I believe. they are looking for undetected felony charges I think.

1064chubbs
11-29-2007, 2:40 PM
I've heard of this but did not know if it was true or not.

erblo
11-29-2007, 3:29 PM
LAPD does the same thing during the background process. It is to check that you own only legal firearms I believe. they are looking for undetected felony charges I think.

What about OLL's?

derek@thepackingrat.net
11-29-2007, 3:54 PM
They can tell which pistols you've bought since it's DROS'd with the serial number, make and model.

I recall that the only thing they know about your OLL is that it's just another long gun.

swhatb
11-29-2007, 7:02 PM
What about OLL's?

good question... what about OLL :confused: i'll ask him if he got some.

in the mean time, hey hoffmang, artherd, bwiese, what's your thoughts on this!?!? anyone else?

If you don't mind, what department is he applying for?

he applied for two places so not sure whoes doing the background... the places were the chp and sfpd.

Bizcuits
11-29-2007, 7:37 PM
likely it was sfpd, I know several friends who've applied for CHP, none reported having to supply a list of firearms..

I've applied for multiple departments, never had to supply a list of firearms. I did have to answer if I thought I was possessed by evil spirits though.

pepsi2451
11-30-2007, 11:58 AM
I did have to answer if I thought I was possessed by evil spirits though.

So are you?

5150-417
11-30-2007, 12:06 PM
My background investigator only knew i owned 3 long guns. He asked why I owned so many at my age, I told him that i'm an American and I have the right to bare arms and that I've been shooting for a sport since the day i can walk. He asked me what i owned an sks,ar-15, and an ak-47. I explained the laws to him and guess who has a black rifle now? That's right my investigator bought himself a black rifle.

schizrade2
11-30-2007, 3:05 PM
My background investigator only knew i owned 3 long guns. He asked why I owned so many at my age, I told him that i'm an American and I have the right to bare arms and that I've been shooting for a sport since the day i can walk. He asked me what i owned an sks,ar-15, and an ak-47. I explained the laws to him and guess who has a black rifle now? That's right my investigator bought himself a black rifle.

Education works. :D

bwiese
11-30-2007, 3:07 PM
How the HELL did the bkgrd investigator know you own 3 long guns and what type they were?

Was this information extracted from family members & fellow shooters, or is CA DOJ keeping illegal records of long guns?

DedEye
11-30-2007, 3:22 PM

So you were wearing a tank top :p?

11-30-2007, 4:08 PM
likely it was sfpd, I know several friends who've applied for CHP, none reported having to supply a list of firearms..

I've applied for multiple departments, never had to supply a list of firearms. I did have to answer if I thought I was possessed by evil spirits though.

Did you get the "Are you a messenger of God" question too?

tyrist
11-30-2007, 5:35 PM
I think the investigator is looking for firearms registered to other people, reported stolen, or not registered at all. Just to make sure an applicant is following laws. I am sure it is not uncommon for people to write down serial numbers for stolen firearms.

I know of one applicant who showed up for a polygraph test and was booked for a felony burglary warrant instead. Some people are just not very bright.
As far as OLL go, I am not sure how the background investigator would approach it and be prepared to file an appeal.

artherd
11-30-2007, 5:38 PM

HOW did he know this?

Long-gun records are supposed to be gone in 24 hours on the fed level (as long as 30 days on the state?)

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/06jun20041800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2004/04-16817.htm

tyrist
11-30-2007, 5:45 PM
The info on long guns was provided by the applicant most likely as lying is pretty much an immediate DQ

zeekster
11-30-2007, 6:29 PM
I am currently in the process with the city of LA and they asked for a list of my guns, one of them was an OLL. The didn't ask me about it and my background has been finished as is awaiting Personel to approve my package.

Trempel
11-30-2007, 6:38 PM
I went through background with SFPD back in '02. I also had to supply info on owned firearms. Wasn't a huge deal.

hoffmang
11-30-2007, 8:32 PM
If a LEA requires a list of your legally owned firearms and you own OLL, then just write down:

Lauer Custom .223 Serial No SML 25XX

If they ask about it you explain Harrot and that you have configured it without 12276.1 features or without a 12276.1 detachable magazine.

Not breaking the law is still not breaking the law.

-Gene

5150-417
12-01-2007, 10:48 AM
The info on long guns was provided by the applicant most likely as lying is pretty much an immediate DQ

We have a winner!! Anything omitted from the department you get disqualified.

OC Gunner
12-01-2007, 12:03 PM

How can they find out that you own illegal firearms? You give them a list of your legally owned firearms, and they check it with the DOJ records right? DOJ records won't show illegally obtained firearms unless you mean 'assault rifles' that were not properly registered after the ban.