PDA

View Full Version : Decided not to buy brass

wildcard
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Well.. I'm running low on brass but decided not to buy brass. Here's the way I see it since Federal Gold Medal Match Brass functions fine for me..

I can buy FGMM rounds for $1 a piece and reload the brass

or

$.50 per piece of Lapua brass
$.25 per 168 gr. SMK bullet
$.10 per 42.5 gr. IMR 4064 powder
$.03 per primer

I figure for the extra $.12 per round to buy the factory stuff, it's worth it since it comes with the box/ holders and saves me a bit of labor.

Prc329
11-27-2007, 12:13 PM
How about Black Hills 168g. For me at least it seemed to be just as accurate, cheaper and uses Winchester brass.

rksimple
11-27-2007, 12:15 PM
+1 on BH. Better brass and cheaper to boot.

Prc329
11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Midway with my C&R has Federal gold medal match for $32 a box of 20. Black Hills is $20 a box of 20.

wildcard
11-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Midway with my C&R has Federal gold medal match for $32 a box of 20. Black Hills is $20 a box of 20.

Wideners has FGMM for $20/ 20 without any fancy discounts :)

Black Hills can be had for the same from Fulton Armory except that if you buy 500 for $487.. you get free shipping!

Prc329
11-27-2007, 12:34 PM
I'd go black hills. I haven't shot any factory ammo threw my Remmy except FGMM but I had tremendous luck with BH in my Savage I had. Remember BH uses winchester brass with there own headstamp on them.

rksimple
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
In your comparison, substitute winny brass for the Lapua. The price difference becomes much greater.

Prc329
11-27-2007, 12:38 PM
So far I have gotten 4 reloads out of my BH and have not needed to trim them yet.

rksimple
11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Don't you load them pretty mild, Jason? If thats the case, that winny brass should last you longer than the fgmm. It should last longer regardless.

Jicko
11-27-2007, 12:48 PM
You can get them around $25-29 / 20

Lapua brass + 155gr Scenar
*what more do you want??*

for $27.59 (may have discount for C&R too)

http://www.grafs.com/fc/browse.php?q=&v=445&s=az&p=232

(now, if someone is ordering, please include me on some...)

Prc329
11-27-2007, 12:51 PM
You can get them around $25-29 / 20

Lapua brass + 155gr Scenar
*what more do you want??*

for $27.59 (may have discount for C&R too)

http://www.grafs.com/fc/browse.php?q=&v=445&s=az&p=232

(now, if someone is ordering, please include me on some...)

$24 a box.

wildcard
11-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Yeah.. my loads are pretty mild. 42.4 gr of 4064 behind a 168 SMK. Getting 8 reloads even with my FGMM brass.. no signs of the brass failing or loose primer pockets.. I only stop at 8 because all the talk about case neck separations. Plus at about 8 reloads after beings full length sized, I start to notice a slight bulge forming right where the full length sizer stops.

Prc329
11-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Hey Jicko, I may buy some after christmas just for ****s and giggles. I'll hit you up if I do.

Budd
11-27-2007, 1:15 PM
Just an FYI - Proraptor only got 1 reload out of Federal brass. Was over there on Friday loading up some 175gr Berger VLD's - and he was wondering about our loads as some wouldn't chamber anymore. Every single Federal case had a base expansion - winchester(BHA) brass was fine.

Prc329
11-27-2007, 1:16 PM
Hey Budd, how are you loading them?

Budd
11-27-2007, 1:29 PM
COL of 2.818"
44gr Varget
Fed 210 Primer.

All Winchester(BHA) cases were fine. Just Federal brass was dust. This is under max load recommendations.

The COL is long for these and the profile is very long for the 175 VLD's. Other loads are at 2.800".

Neck sized only - we don't share brass. Good thing he has a bullet puller to salvage the powder and bullets he had.

wildcard
11-27-2007, 2:01 PM
I will happily dispose of any FGMM Brass y'all have!

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 2:32 PM
only issue i see shooting the 168gr fgmm is that it might not be exact to your current load unless you already know the ballistics well enough.

i needed new brass a few months ago. i bartered with timber for 250 pieces of brass for some powder. all in all it was a pretty good barter.

in reguards to fgmm brass. it's not the strongest, but it sure works well enough if you know how to prep it well.

i fullsize once in about every 4 reloadings, and usually only necksize using hornady competion neck sizing die to .336 for fgmm. i've had no issues with fgmm, and have realoaded it successfuly for about 8-9 reloadings. brass in fact still looked good, but i threw that batch away.

we'll see how it holds up on my next load which will run hot.

wildcard
11-27-2007, 2:37 PM
only issue i see shooting the 168gr fgmm is that it might not be exact to your current load unless you already know the ballistics well enough.

i needed new brass a few months ago. i bartered with timber for 250 pieces of brass for some powder. all in all it was a pretty good barter.

in reguards to fgmm brass. it's not the strongest, but it sure works well enough if you know how to prep it well.

i fullsize once in about every 4 reloadings, and usually only necksize using hornady competion neck sizing die to .336 for fgmm. i've had no issues with fgmm, and have realoaded it successfuly for about 8-9 reloadings. brass in fact still looked good, but i threw that batch away.

we'll see how it holds up on my next load which will run hot.

Good thing I tailored my rounds to match factory FGMM since its what I keep in my "emergency stash" :) Well.. i've tested it to be the same out to 500 yds at least.. i'll check at 1000 yds next time i go. Should be the same as long as the velocities match..

I only trim, chamfer, and debur for the 1st loading, and for the 5 loading when the cases reach a length of 2.015". And I of course full length size for every load. Seems to work well for me. As for loose primer pockets, I'm using CCI BR2 which are said to be a little larger than Federal primers.. I haven't actually measured this out though.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 2:44 PM
if your testing it to be the same out to 500yards, you should be totally fine.

i'm gonna end continue using fgmm and nosler brass. i've had good success with these two brasses. if i buy brand new, i'll probably end up with winchester brass. lupua, supposed to be the best but for me ended up quiting on me very early.

plus, if your shooting in a match and you loose a couple of fgmm brass it's all good. i don't trip on losing fgmm. i have sooo many right now.

rksimple
11-27-2007, 3:14 PM

I prep it as normal and it still blows primers after the 3rd loading. If you load on the light side, and don't push the fgmm that hard, it may last a while. If you do 44gr Varget with a 175, its gonna die pretty quick. I've blown my share of primers with fed brass, and have the busted boltheads and extractors to prove it. I don't need to blow any more to know not to use it past a couple reloads with stout loads.

Pete-be careful on the hot loads in fgmm brass. The primer pockets can open up huge in just one firing.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 3:42 PM
I prep it as normal and it still blows primers after the 3rd loading. If you load on the light side, and don't push the fgmm that hard, it may last a while. If you do 44gr Varget with a 175, its gonna die pretty quick. I've blown my share of primers with fed brass, and have the busted boltheads and extractors to prove it. I don't need to blow any more to know not to use it past a couple reloads with stout loads.

Pete-be careful on the hot loads in fgmm brass. The primer pockets can open up huge in just one firing.

hmm, what if i use CCI Br2 primers? do you think they'll blow? they will be loaded hot with varget and rl15.

i'm only going to use 155 and 168. i've taken the 175smk out of the equation for me.

wildcard
11-27-2007, 3:55 PM
hmm, what if i use CCI Br2 primers? do you think they'll blow? they will be loaded hot with varget and rl15.

i'm only going to use 155 and 168. i've taken the 175smk out of the equation for me.

Got any of the 175's left? I wouldn't mind loading up a few to try..

Timberwolf
11-27-2007, 4:25 PM
Those 175s don't shoot worth a sh*t so no one else should try 'em. Since we're friends just send 'em my way and I'll dispose of 'em. :p

rksimple
11-27-2007, 5:03 PM

I was using 155 A Maxes and a ball powder and they blew. It was not an overly hot load, about 2850 fps, but on the third firing...BOOM...my ejector was jammed back into the bolt head so hard it must've peened itself in place because I couldn't even drill it out. Thats why the bolt head on my 10fp is stainless and the rest of the bolt is matte. When I seated the primers, they felt pretty snug. I guess they were just ready to give up the ghost. FWIW, the primer pockets opened up before I saw any issues with rings around the base or necks splitting.

Just watch for signs of pressure. If you see blackening around the edges of the primers, it means you're REALLY close.:D

sargenv
11-27-2007, 6:35 PM
Something I did recently was since I couldn't find the 308 brass I wanted, I asked around the range seeing if anyone might swap me 45 acp brass for 308's. I have a bunch of once fired 45 acp that I was willing to trade 3 or 4 for 1 piece of 308 brass. I think I ended up trading him 4 for 1.. he got 1k of 45 acp federals, I got 250 once fired WCC 308 brass. I now have enough brass for quite some time.

Prc329
11-27-2007, 6:51 PM
Those 175s don't shoot worth a sh*t so no one else should try 'em. Since we're friends just send 'em my way and I'll dispose of 'em. :p

You might get a surprise in your box. I just need that address. I think I have a box left.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 7:02 PM
the 175 work good in the mid to long range, but i didn't have the success i wanted in the short range. i ended up going through most of them. i might have a few left.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 7:12 PM
I was using 155 A Maxes and a ball powder and they blew. It was not an overly hot load, about 2850 fps, but on the third firing...BOOM...my ejector was jammed back into the bolt head so hard it must've peened itself in place because I couldn't even drill it out. Thats why the bolt head on my 10fp is stainless and the rest of the bolt is matte. When I seated the primers, they felt pretty snug. I guess they were just ready to give up the ghost. FWIW, the primer pockets opened up before I saw any issues with rings around the base or necks splitting.

Just watch for signs of pressure. If you see blackening around the edges of the primers, it means you're REALLY close.:D

i don't want to take a chance with that on my new rifle. i'll end up using the fgmm on my 168 loads, and i'll just buy some new winchester brass for the 155 scenar loads cause i want them to go hot like 2850-2900fps.

Cypriss32
11-27-2007, 7:21 PM
I got 2 firing out of some federal gold medal brass:
Loads are
168gr VLDS 46.5grs of varget jam fit
178gr AMAX 45.5grs of RL15 mag lengh
DONT USE these threw your tight chamber rifles, these are moly bullets
and fired threw my savage. WORK UP TO!

I use win brass for my 175gr and 190gr SMKS loads.
For my VLD loads im using hornady gold medal match brass, from Canada, Very high case capacities.

175gr SMKS get the Job done for awhile now. I will prolly build my AR10 around that and switch to 155gr Scenars in my 308 bolt guns. Been wanting to give the 155's a try in the 300wsm @ 3300fps.

rksimple
11-27-2007, 7:24 PM
i don't want to take a chance with that on my new rifle. i'll end up using the fgmm on my 168 loads, and i'll just buy some new winchester brass for the 155 scenar loads cause i want them to go hot like 2850-2900fps.

Good call. I'm going to be doing the same when my R&D rifle arrives. 155 scenars in win cases to about 2875 with Varget. That will work out pretty well. I'll have you go ahead of me at the matches, and I'll get your dope after you ring 'em!:D

Cypriss32
11-27-2007, 7:28 PM
2875 you guys are weak. RUN EM hard and fast.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 7:41 PM
Good call. I'm going to be doing the same when my R&D rifle arrives. 155 scenars in win cases to about 2875 with Varget. That will work out pretty well. I'll have you go ahead of me at the matches, and I'll get your dope after you ring 'em!:D

just got an email from Randy. I'm gonna dros my rifle soon, and he said I'll have it, b4 Xmas.

Santa Claus is real!

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 7:46 PM

i'm gonna run the scenars to what my barrel likes. i'm hoping for 1/3-1/2moa at the 100yard line, all day long on a hot barrel. once i get that load finished, time to go mid to long range! once i get my dope down in Mils, hold under shots are gonna be a cinch!

rksimple
11-27-2007, 7:52 PM

There comes a point where if you want to run them that fast, you should've got a different caliber. For 2900+, I'd rather go with an '06 or WSM.

At 2875, case life should be OK and barrel life shouldn't suffer.

Hey Pete- how long did you tell him to leave your barrel, with the brake?

Cypriss32
11-27-2007, 7:52 PM
We shall see, Im gona test the fact that 308 can not last 5k rounds pushing the envelope super hard. Plus Im keeping them in 1/2 MOA at load development. Being the only time im at the range is load development, other wise im up shooting at UKDs up in the mountins. Life is good, got an FFP premier scope, working on my IOR 3-18x next for an AR10 rifle. I hope to run 500 rounds an month atleast threw it. It will be an user.

I got an 300wsm, and 30-06. They shoot heavies and shoot them hard. My 308 is a savage POS so I dont care how hard it is, Im super motivated to shoot out the barrel. It will be the best day of my life, shooting life that is.

rksimple
11-27-2007, 7:55 PM
It will be an user.

...and abuser!:D Where do you do your UKD stuff? Anytime you want to come up my way, I'm game. Got plenty of steel...should be thick enough for the WSM.:confused:

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 7:56 PM
There comes a point where if you want to run them that fast, you should've got a different caliber. For 2900+, I'd rather go with an '06 or WSM.

At 2875, case life should be OK and barrel life shouldn't suffer.

Hey Pete- how long did you tell him to leave your barrel, with the break?

i'm going with the old badger brake for the flush look, oal is 24inches.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 7:59 PM
...and abuser!:D Where do you do your UKD stuff? Anytime you want to come up my way, I'm game. Got plenty of steel...should be thick enough for the WSM.:confused:

that's what i did a few weeks ago, but i used my rangefinder. one shot, one hit was the norm over 90% of the shots from 400-750yards. if it was strickly using the recticle, i'm sure it would have been much lower. it's hard to estimate rocks, and small boulders.

it would be fun to do UKD on known size steel targets! i'm gonna see if this guy i know can make some for me.

rksimple
11-27-2007, 8:00 PM
i'm going with the old badger brake for the flush look, oal is 24inches.

I went with the thruster brake as well, only to 25 inches finished. They should be some shooters!

rksimple
11-27-2007, 8:06 PM
Pete-unrelated question...Joe Hernandez...is he the guy doing a rebarrel job on your remmy? Is he the same dude that shoots the APS matches with us? That would be cool to have another option for rifle work thats local.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 8:15 PM
Pete-unrelated question...Joe Hernandez...is he the guy doing a rebarrel job on your remmy? Is he the same dude that shoots the APS matches with us? That would be cool to have another option for rifle work thats local.

this is going on a different route, but i'll spill a few beans. Joe Hernandez is a machinist i met through the APS matches. He has a passion for firearms and precision tactical shooting. I am trying to get him to transition him into a Remington 700 custom rifle builder. Nayt's rifle will be the first rifle that Joe will be working on. I am buying a few tools for him at this minute so he can blueprint Nayt's action. He will also be installing a Rock barrel, recoil lug, and installing a custom muzzle brake. There are high expectations on this rifle, and field testing for accuracy will be videotaped.

Machining is an acquired skill that takes numerous years to get. His father is a lifetime machinist, and Joe is also a fulltime machinist that's been doing it for years and years. Gunsmithing is machining with knowing the gun "theories." I think he is the perfect candidate.

If all goes well, a business is intended to arise with new products out for both Remington 700s and assesories for the Savage. We'll see how the first one comes out though. The goal is to have the rifle will hold 1/2moa or less all day long on a hot barrel.

My first custom rifle is being built by R+D. My second rifle will be built by Joe Hernandez, but probably will be put on a McMillan Stock for commercial purposes, and will be resold later in the future with a very low round count.

Prc329
11-27-2007, 9:04 PM
I went with the thruster brake as well, only to 25 inches finished. They should be some shooters!

I was going to use an FTE brake but Pete changed my mind. I'm shooting for 24 to 25" OAL depending on how long the brake is. I don't want the barrel below 22 inches.

BTW, I noticed with my Savage and its 1-10 twist. 2900 fps was the love spot. On my Remmy 2800+ is more accurate at short ranges but the 2900 HOT load was good for long range one shot one hit stuff. Groups were just over .6 with the hot load and .3 with the "slow" load. I like the hot load cause I can get to 900 without making a complete turn of the dial on my IOR. I think I am going to stick with the slower load till I get my barrel installed.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 9:18 PM
i have been debating to keep my barrel at 24inches plus the brake which should be around 25.75inches. reason being is most gunsmiths say stay between 24-26inches. does brakes give a little extra velocity?

Prc329
11-27-2007, 9:21 PM
http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/

Read that. Very interesting stuff. I think I will do the same though. That way I can use less powder and still get the same results. Plus I have read rock barrels are fast.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 9:35 PM
yep, just sent a email to Randy. i will be going 24inches plus the brake which is 25.75inches. i'm more of a traditionalist. i can always cut the barrel down the road if i'm not happy.

i've been worrying if the barrel would be too short to burn all the powder on my scenar loads. better safe than sorry. my twist rate is slower at 1:11, so i might need the extra length to reach my intended velocities without going extra hot on the loads.

if i can go 2900fps and have it group 1/2moa consistantly on a hot barrel, i will be a one happy camper. :)

rksimple
11-27-2007, 9:49 PM
Randy will measure the barrel from the lug while most manufacturers measure from the beginning of the chamber. A 25.75 inch barrel from him will probably be like a 26.25 standard barrel. You shouldn't have a problem hitting 2900.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 9:53 PM
only draw back on my rifle is it's designed for prone action. offhand will be a killer. i just started to work out again. if i can get my 10 pounds of muscles back, my 18pound rifle should be okay to shoot offhand.

Prc329
11-27-2007, 9:54 PM
My Savage used 45.5 g to get over 2900fps from its 24" barrel. My Remmy needed 46.5 to get the same speeds. That could be both the faster twist and longer barrel in play.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 10:11 PM
nayt, you got a eta on the barrel?

Prc329
11-27-2007, 10:25 PM
On friday they said it would ship monday. I'll call them again tomorrow to see if I can get a firm date.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 11:08 PM
all this barrel talk got me to thinking about chambers. in a match chamber, how tight are the tolerances?

nevermind, Randy said it should be set at "0" where it should be.

ar15barrels
11-28-2007, 9:54 AM
this is going on a different route, but i'll spill a few beans. Joe Hernandez is a machinist i met through the APS matches. He has a passion for firearms and precision tactical shooting. I am trying to get him to transition him into a Remington 700 custom rifle builder. Nayt's rifle will be the first rifle that Joe will be working on. I am buying a few tools for him at this minute so he can blueprint Nayt's action. He will also be installing a Rock barrel, recoil lug, and installing a custom muzzle brake. There are high expectations on this rifle, and field testing for accuracy will be videotaped.

Machining is an acquired skill that takes numerous years to get. His father is a lifetime machinist, and Joe is also a fulltime machinist that's been doing it for years and years. Gunsmithing is machining with knowing the gun "theories." I think he is the perfect candidate.

If all goes well, a business is intended to arise with new products out for both Remington 700s and assesories for the Savage.

It looks like our lunch at Titos turned out to be very valuable after all. :rolleyes:
I guess the several hundred $$$ worth of fixtures I bought to do Nayt's rifle will just have to wait until the next one comes along.

So much for collaboration huh? :mad:

wildcard
11-28-2007, 10:06 AM
It looks like our lunch at Titos turned out to be very valuable after all. :rolleyes:
I guess the several hundred $$$ worth of fixtures I bought to do Nayt's rifle will just have to wait until the next one comes along.

What kind of work are you able to do with the new tools?

rksimple
11-28-2007, 11:06 AM

There will be plenty of others. Especially with other repuatable smiths booked well in advance. With your reputation and the right tools, you may become very, very busy. I'll let you know when my 700sps arrives...its been "not available" at Jerry's for months.

Prc329
11-28-2007, 11:08 AM
I also plan on building a second rifle later in the year. Something lightweight. Randall you get my PM?

PistolPete75
11-28-2007, 11:12 AM

your tools are not wasted. i'm sure you'll need it in the future. there are plenty of remington 700 to work on the future. we are in southern california. :)

Nayt rifle was the perfect candidate. He already has all his parts in hand, since there is no waiting time from the barrel maker and it's nearly identical to my R+D rifle that will be finished in the next three weeks! Should be a great comparison to make.

Prc329
11-28-2007, 11:15 AM
I plan on building a "light weight rifle later in the year with probably a take off PSS stock and a lighter contoured barrel. Haven't decided what yet though. Probably a 20" since my rifle is to damn heavy to really be doing off hand.

PistolPete75
11-28-2007, 11:19 AM
I plan on building a "light weight rifle later in the year with probably a take off PSS stock and a lighter contoured barrel. Haven't decided what yet though. Probably a 20" since my rifle is to damn heavy to really be doing off hand.

easier solution is just work out. it's cheaper and healthier.

plus, using two different stocks will throw you off. unless you go the mcmillan route, and forget about your aics. but that would be such a waste.

i'm back on my 5 days a week work out schedule. i figure with my uptake in protein and my strict workout schedule, i can get my strength back to where is was before in about 6-9months. i should have no problem offhanding 18pounds in that time.

wildcard
11-28-2007, 11:27 AM
easier solution is just work out. it's cheaper and healthier.

plus, using two different stocks will throw you off. unless you go the mcmillan route.

A lighter rifle has other uses than just being lighter in your arms when position shooting. Try carrying around your rifle on a hike.. the extra ounces start taking a toll on you. Heck.. backpakers will drill holes in their toothbrushes and remove tags from their clothes for every bit of weight reduction they can get!

I've carried my heavy 700P (haven't weighed it) on hunting trips where i'm humping through the mountains.. and i'm man enough to admit that it is too friggin heavy. While it works.. there is a better tool for the task: a lighter rifle. Plus when your heart is pumping after a hike and you need to bring your rifle up, you need all the help you can get to keep that reticle from bouncing around.

Working is of course a great idea too.. doing that myself :)

PistolPete75
11-28-2007, 11:32 AM
A lighter rifle has other uses than just being lighter in your arms when position shooting. Try carrying around your rifle on a hike.. the extra ounces start taking a toll on you. Heck.. backpakers will drill holes in their toothbrushes and remove tags from their clothes for every bit of weight reduction they can get!

I've carried my heavy 700P (haven't weighed it) on hunting trips where i'm humping through the mountains.. and i'm man enough to admit that it is too friggin heavy. While it works.. there is a better tool for the task: a lighter rifle. Plus when your heart is pumping after a hike and you need to bring your rifle up, you need all the help you can get to keep that reticle from bouncing around.

Working is of course a great idea too.. doing that myself :)

ya, after my baby was born i lost a 100 pounds off my bench and about 10 pounds of muscle. with my body type, if i don't maintain i loose it quick. gotta get back what i lost. muscle does have memory, so it shouldn't be too hard to get it back.

Prc329
11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
I definately do need to workout but having a smaller, lighter "carry" rifle will be nice to have.

rksimple
11-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I definately do need to workout but having a smaller, lighter "carry" rifle will be nice to have.

I agree. I plan to hunt a bit with my R+D rifle. I got the standard 700 varmint contour instead of the #7 or M24. That should shed a couple pounds right there. If you were to cut a varmint contour barrel to say 21 inches, it should be light enough to pack around pretty well...even with the AICS.

Prc329
11-28-2007, 12:07 PM
What I will probably do is this. Buy a Stiller or some other sort of action and swap the action on my current 700 action/rock barrel and keep my factory barrel and build a light weight rifle with that.

Decisions, decisions. All I know is I want a second lightweight rifle probably also in 308.

PistolPete75
11-28-2007, 1:12 PM
What I will probably do is this. Buy a Stiller or some other sort of action and swap the action on my current 700 action/rock barrel and keep my factory barrel and build a light weight rifle with that.

Decisions, decisions. All I know is I want a second lightweight rifle probably also in 308.

I would go in on a Stiller group buy in a few months. I so regret not getting into the last one. I think the tac30 were down to like $600.

wildcard
11-28-2007, 1:32 PM
I would go in on a Stiller group buy in a few months. I so regret not getting into the last one. I think the tac30 were down to like $600.

Dude.. i'm in the same boat as you. We can still get it for a good price if a dealer will hook us up with a group buy. If even just six of us get in on it.. it's down to $650! I want the TAC338 though.. anybody want to set this up?

http://www.viperactions.com/

Though if I had an option.. i'd get a Surgeon.. it's worth the extra $$$

rksimple
11-28-2007, 1:40 PM
I'll be down with a tac30, maybe a 338. After the new year, Randy is supposed to be coming out with a "signature" rifle based on a stiller action. No truing of the receiver needs to be done so you save a little there. The 20 MOA base you can get with it adds like $20 to the cost, so you save money there say, over a badger base. You have to buy a trigger, but most do that anyway with a remmy custom. You also get a tac bolt handle standard, so theres a little more savings. When I had Randy spec out my rifle with a stiller and a remmy action, the price difference was like $50 bucks. I would have had to wait till feb or march for the stiller action so I just drosed the remmy while I was there.

ar15barrels
11-28-2007, 2:31 PM
Nayt rifle was the perfect candidate. He already has all his parts in hand,

You must have missed the part where Nayt was originally planning to come see me to do the work...
This was well before you and Joe came over to talk.
Did you also know that Nayt's rifle was the job that was kicking me in the butt to buy the extra tooling I needed in the first place?

PistolPete75
11-28-2007, 2:50 PM
You must have missed the part where Nayt was originally planning to come see me to do the work...
This was well before you and Joe came over to talk.
Did you also know that Nayt's rifle was the job that was kicking me in the butt to buy the extra tooling I needed in the first place?

I just got an email from Nayt. I told him to take the rifle over to you. I think the issue is that it's taking from the same "pot".

You were supposed to be doing ar15 stuff which was my understanding and did not want to cross over to 700 stuff. Anyways, it's all good. I still have two other 700 actions.

all good, no harm no foul.

hey, i would still like to do a comparison test against my R+D and Joe's build against Nayt's. I want want to see if there is a "magic" gunsmith or if it's all the same if you follow the procedures. Not the best group of that whole day, but serious round pounding through a hot barrel. We'll have a contraption made up to hold down the rifles.

I'm hoping that a competent gunsmith with the right parts does not add extra voodoo magic in accuracy as long as the proper procedures have taken place.