PDA

View Full Version : A gunsmith has declared the Bullet Button illegal. :rolleyes:

tenpercentfirearms
11-26-2007, 8:17 PM
I got this from a customer.

Hi Guys,

I bought a bullet button from you some time ago (earlier this year), and when I went to have it installed in my OLL, my smith said that the CA DOJ had again revised the rules (actually showed me a faxed copy) that amounted to making the Bullet Button not compliant. So I then bought a Monsterman grip from you. Its ok, but on a recent trip to AZ I shot with a standard pistol grip and it was so much better. That got me thinking about the bullet button again so I wondered if you had any more recent information from the CA DOJ? I've looked at your CA Legal page, but there's no dating on it, so its hard to know how current it is.

Thanks,

TPF CustomerI certainly appreciate all of my loyal customers and am appreciative he continues to use me. However, how would you respond to this e-mail?

oaklander
11-26-2007, 8:22 PM
Ask him to ask the gunsmith for a copy of the "fax" from the DOJ.

Maybe since they pulled the AK/AR "memo" off the site, they've decided to start faxing it out???

Paging Gene and Bill, paging Gene and Bill!!!!

tenpercentfirearms
11-26-2007, 8:27 PM
Ask him to ask the gunsmith for a copy of the "fax" from the DOJ.

Maybe since they pulled the AK/AR "memo" off the site, they've decided to start faxing it out???

Paging Gene and Bill, paging Gene and Bill!!!!

I seriously doubt it. It was probably the old memo from when they first came out with it. The gunsmith is just spreading FUD.

M. Sage
11-26-2007, 8:31 PM
I seriously doubt it. It was probably the old memo from when they first came out with it. The gunsmith is just spreading FUD.

I agree. Show him the thread on the "underground regulation." :p

You could also show him Iggy Chin's statement to a court on what is a fixed magazine. :43:

NRAhighpowershooter
11-26-2007, 8:34 PM
not trying to be a butthead about it (and a little off topic to boot).. but why is this person letting a gunsmith assemble a OLL for him? Mistake #1

WokMaster1
11-26-2007, 8:50 PM
not trying to be a butthead about it (and a little off topic to boot).. but why is this person letting a gunsmith assemble a OLL for him? Mistake #1

must be a carbon lower that cracked & the gunsmith was just super glueing the pieces together.......:p

hoffmang
11-26-2007, 9:01 PM
Wes,

Give him a copy of this: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/oal/OAL-280-Suspension-Notice-2007-09-21-w-Attachments.pdf

-Gene

Crazed_SS
11-26-2007, 9:18 PM
I got this from a customer.

I certainly appreciate all of my loyal customers and am appreciative he continues to use me. However, how would you respond to this e-mail?

Sir, nothing has changed regarding the laws surrounding the BB, detachable mags, etc. If you dont feel comfortable with the BB and dont like the MM Grip, then maybe I could interest you in a Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 :)

hoffmang
11-26-2007, 9:26 PM
Sir, nothing has changed regarding the laws surrounding the BB, detachable mags, etc. If you dont feel comfortable with the BB and dont like the MM Grip, then maybe I could interest you in a Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 :)

Yeah, nothing changed except the CA DOJ admitted they were breaking California law... :rolleyes:

-Gene

tenpercentfirearms
11-26-2007, 9:37 PM
Wes,

Give him a copy of this: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/oal/OAL-280-Suspension-Notice-2007-09-21-w-Attachments.pdf

-Gene

Ok, I am adding that to my website, but I would also like a link to their proposed regulation change too if anyone has it. I want to post those things up and demonstrate that they no longer apply.

hoffmang
11-26-2007, 9:40 PM
Wes,

You could like to an internet archive version of the rulemaking and state that they took it down in response to my petition. Check out http://www.archive.org and enter http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

-Gene

1911_sfca
11-26-2007, 9:51 PM
However, how would you respond to this e-mail?

I would be wary of giving out legal advice on a topic like this. Especially to someone who tends to get their legal updates from a gunsmith.

But that's just me.

tenpercentfirearms
11-26-2007, 10:01 PM
I would be wary of giving out legal advice on a topic like this. Especially to someone who tends to get their legal updates from a gunsmith.

But that's just me.

I am not a lawyer. I do not give out legal advice. If you take any advice from me, that is on you.

I updated my website a bit. The second part of 4. is kind of weak and need some proof of what they tried to do. www.calgunlaws.com is down.

WokMaster1
11-27-2007, 7:11 AM

But that's just me.

1911_sfca, you're a peace officer, right? what does your fellow officers think of OLL?

chiefcrash
11-27-2007, 8:02 AM
must be a carbon lower that cracked & the gunsmith was just super glueing the pieces together.......:p

wes, you wouldn't know anything about this, would you? ;)

xrMike
11-27-2007, 8:05 AM
Ok, I am adding that to my website, but I would also like a link to their proposed regulation change too if anyone has it. I want to post those things up and demonstrate that they no longer apply.95% of people who read that document (OAL-280-Suspension-Notice-2007-09-21-w-Attachments.pdf), or attempt to, are going to say with a blank look on their face: "WTF does all this lawyer-speak gobbledeegook mean? Can somebody just please give me the Reader's Digest Condensded version? Please?"

I'm just saying, be prepared for that.

fuegoslow
11-27-2007, 8:27 AM
wes, you wouldn't know anything about this, would you? ;)

Yeah Wes, I've heard about exploding carbon-15's. I think a thread on burro canyon had a story about a guy whose bushy blew up and had parts hit some guy a few spots from him. I own one, and am curious to what you might know or have heard.:eek:

P.S. I'm the guy who purchased the Centermass EGA lowers and waited forever to have Gunrunners send you their FFL info.

chiefcrash
11-27-2007, 8:44 AM
Yeah Wes, I've heard about exploding carbon-15's. I think a thread on burro canyon had a story about a guy whose bushy blew up and had parts hit some guy a few spots from him. I own one, and am curious to what you might know or have heard.:eek:

P.S. I'm the guy who purchased the Centermass EGA lowers and waited forever to have Gunrunners send you their FFL info.

that was supposed to be an inside joke. your C-15 has the same chances of blowing up as anything else. Remain calm, all is well...

Sgt Raven
11-27-2007, 8:44 AM

It was worth the $25.00 it cost me, 'cause I didn't want to slip and scratch my lower, and I didn't feel like buying the tools for 1 lower. ;)

Jicko
11-27-2007, 8:49 AM
Now, WHO is this ill-informed gunsmith? Let's go educate him.... :)

tankerman
11-27-2007, 9:41 AM
That's what you get for going to Evan's in Orange.

bwiese
11-27-2007, 9:48 AM
That's what you get for going to Evan's in Orange.

Hahah, "Evan's Gunsmithing: unlisted by the grace of Iggy".

Anytime your guns are the subject of a 4.5 hour DOJ meeting in Sacto, you or the guy who approved your guns is really friggin' questionable.

Alison Queen of Gun Bans must be a contortionist to bend herself around so much to cover for Iggy.

4 Brigada
11-27-2007, 9:56 AM
Hey whats with all this "gunsmith" bashing are they not the all knowing? I know the ones I dealt with were know it all`s. Specially when it comes to OLL receivers being almost illegal. We should listen :smilielol5:

1911_sfca
11-27-2007, 10:54 AM
1911_sfca, you're a peace officer, right? what does your fellow officers think of OLL?

A couple have them, a few don't really care about them / think they're nice, and the majority probably don't have any idea what an OLL is.

I don't work in Richmond/ Oakland, so we don't uncover a lot of AR/AK style weapons in peoples' trunks. So the topic hasn't really come up very much and I don't generally start conversations about it with random officers.