PDA

View Full Version : ABC National News tomorrow gun story 11-27

LECTRIKHED
11-26-2007, 6:39 PM
There is going to be a story tomorrow on the ABC national news on the arms race between cops and criminals. I imagine it will be a story about why cops need AR-15, and 50 cals. Maybe it will be anti, maybe not. I'd like them to have a story about how civilians need heavier firepower to protect themselves against armed criminals.

Be sure to watch this story and be prepared to respond if necessary.

RRangel
11-26-2007, 6:48 PM
More than likely the story will have a victim disarmament slant. When does it not? Unless you're talking about John Stossel.

wilit
11-26-2007, 6:55 PM
Or why civilians need guns to protect themselves from the government

http://www.uiowa.edu/~policult/assets/VietNam/KentState.jpg

M. Sage
11-26-2007, 7:16 PM
Gee, CNN does a story on this, a local station ran a story, and now ABC? Are we feeling the push yet?

Tell me it's not coordinated.

hoffmang
11-26-2007, 7:21 PM
Gotta hope and do that thing that isn't prayer that SCOTUS will ignore the text... Time to use those First Amendment protected airwaves to obliterate the Second. It's going to be funny when it doesn't work.

-Gene

zefflyn
11-26-2007, 8:50 PM
Hope it shows up on YouTube, 'cause I don't have cable and don't get broadcast in my neck of the hills.

bobfried
11-26-2007, 8:51 PM
Hope it shows up on YouTube, 'cause I don't have cable and don't get broadcast in my neck of the hills.

OMG, all you have is the Internet!!!!!!!

M. Sage
11-26-2007, 9:35 PM

Pretty much the same boat.

oaklander
11-26-2007, 9:36 PM
It's being coordinated by the Brady Bunch. Since I work in PR, I can see their unseen hand behind these stories.

oaklander
11-26-2007, 9:48 PM
Here's an example of a "story" (actually an editorial) that was PLACED by the Brady Bunch:

http://www.miamiherald.com/418/story/239241.html

IN MY OPINION
There's no good reason to have an assault rifle
Posted on Sun, Sep. 16, 2007
Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
By ANA MENENDEZ
amenendez@MiamiHerald.com

Officer Jose Somohano, 37, father of two, was the 151st person in Miami-Dade shot dead this year.

Outrage came quickly after Thursday's shooting. But it followed a numb, familiar pattern: Death followed by grief followed by some new atrocity that serves to inure us further to violence.

By now, only the most sheltered television-bereft hermit would be shocked at the image of cops in fatigues and combat helmets going after a madman with an AK-47.

Is this normal? A major American city that acts like it's at war?

Is it right that a place with a population of just over two million should lose more than 150 people yearly to guns?

We've created such a thoroughly messed up society, no one even remembers what safe means.

WHERE GUN LAWS WORK

Spare me the guns-don't-kill-people, people-kill-people platitude. Other countries are also full of people. And, with the possible exception of Iraq, few populations are killing each other with the competence we manage.

Take Sweden. In 2004, the country of nine million lost just 37 people to guns -- an entire country with fewer gun murders than Miami-Dade. England and Wales lost 73 people. Australia lost 56.

The number of people murdered with guns in the United States during the same period: 9,326 -- almost 10 times the rate in Sweden and three times the number of victims lost in the 9/11 attacks.

The difference is not that Sweden has fewer crazies. Or that Australians are unusually peace-loving. The difference is the law.

''European countries have extraordinarily strict gun laws,'' said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign, which seeks to reduce gun violence here. ``In some countries, it's virtually impossible to get a handgun.''

It's tragic that thousands of men, women and children are perishing in this country. It's terrifying that the people meant to protect them can't protect themselves.

''Sometimes we feel like we have water pistols against these guys,'' Police Benevolent Association president John Rivera told me Friday. ``Our weaponry does not match up with theirs. Even our vests don't match what they have.''

It's a problem facing police departments nationally, and some, including Miami, have opted to equip their cops with assault rifles. Rivera would love every officer to carry those kinds of weapons.

Even the Brady Campaign supports the idea. Said Hamm: ``Police officers should not be outgunned on the streets.''

Of course not. But I have a hard time accepting that more firepower is the solution. It sets in motion an endless arms race. So the cops get better guns. And the thugs get better guns. And the cops get better-better guns. And 100 years from now, everyone is packing customized nukes.

A CULTURE OF GUNS

There is, of course, a more sane solution. Though it's doubtful that we could reverse the damage of an out-of-control gun culture, at least we might outlaw assault rifles. Is that too much to ask?

It's still not clear how Shawn LaBeet got the assault rifle he used to kill a cop in Cutler Bay on Thursday. But most people are allowed to own one. That's right, unless you're a convicted felon or mentally ill, it's perfectly legal to own a weapon that can fire 600 rounds in one minute.

That's insane. These aren't made for hunting animals; they're for killing people. Why are these things even for sale?

Renew the assault weapons ban. It will be too late to save Jose Somohano, but it might save the next victim. Maybe even you.

oaklander
11-26-2007, 9:52 PM
The way this works is that Brady's PR firm will "pitch" stories to national media.

These pitches include canned story ideas and canned quotes.

What they are pitching right now to the national media is probably something along the lines of "We need to give assault weapons to our cops because they are fighting criminals with assault weapons, all because of the sunset of the AWB."

I would venture to say that Brady is behind MOST if not ALL of the stories on this topic.

When you see the quote "600 rounds per minute" - that's most likely from the story pitch.

See http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=3xD&q=600+rounds+per+minute+brady+campaign&btnG=Search for evidence.

WokMaster1
11-26-2007, 9:54 PM
If the Bradys want a gun free society, they should all just bloody move to Singapore. There they can happily live side by side with the no chewing gum policy.:mad:

Stanze
11-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Wayne LaPierre takes on CNN's slanted media reporting!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60aIaNZA0h8

Piper
11-26-2007, 10:52 PM
If the Bradys want a gun free society, they should all just bloody move to Singapore. There they can happily live side by side with the no chewing gum policy.:mad:

Why move to a country that's already phuqt up when you can stay home and phuq up your own? :mad:

M. Sage
11-27-2007, 6:29 AM
It's being coordinated by the Brady Bunch. Since I work in PR, I can see their unseen hand behind these stories.

I knew it!

Paranoia is justified when they really are conspiring against you.

M. Sage
11-27-2007, 6:32 AM

Hahah, I love that. He obviously knows that he could prove that the story was BS in a court, and was probably hoping to do just that!

I remember catching that story on Youtube, too. The reporter had someone shoot a banned AK at some cinder blocks, blowing them to pieces, then he had the same guy shoot an un-banned AK toward the blocks, but into the ground, to "show" how much less dangerous that one was. :sleeping:

aileron
11-27-2007, 7:07 AM
Gotta hope and do that thing that isn't prayer that SCOTUS will ignore the text... Time to use those First Amendment protected airwaves to obliterate the Second. It's going to be funny when it doesn't work.

-Gene

God I hope so. Its treasonous for the press to be doing this.

Smokeybehr
11-27-2007, 8:40 AM

Singapore is a beautiful country, but disobey one of their laws, and you're totally phukt. Getting caned isn't like daddy taking a willow switch to your behind for being bad: they take a 20' piece of ratted, wet bamboo; take a wind up, and then hit you with it. If you pass out before getting all your lashes, they'll take you back to your cell, and let you recover for a couple days, and they'll complete the sentence.

pnkssbtz
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Wow... I've not seen that vid by Wayne LaPierre.

He is no-BS, straight-to-the-point.

I like!

ghettoshecky
11-27-2007, 10:58 AM
I don't understand why antis always love comparing us with countries that are ethnically homogeneous. Sure Japan and Sweden have some of the lowest murder rates, but how can you compare with a country that is very ethnically diverse and has porous borders? Remember Japan is an island and Sweden is a peninsula. You just can't compare us.

tyrist
11-27-2007, 11:14 AM
I wish they would take out suicides caused by guns and then also compare relative murder rates by any means.

mecam
11-27-2007, 2:41 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3919547

By JEFFREY KOFMAN
Nov. 27, 2007

Share The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Department is building up an arsenal of bigger weapons. Handguns and shotguns are no longer enough, and officers are being equipped with semiautomatic assault rifles instead.

Cpl. Paul Rubino of the sheriff's department had a matter-of-fact explanation for the upgrade, "All I know is that we should have the same firepower as the bad guys."

Watch Jeffrey Kofman's full report tonight on "World News With Charles Gibson" at 6:30 ET. This is part two of the two-part series "Officer Down."

His explanation is justified by multiple incidents. In September, a suspect wielding an AK-47 fired on Miami-Dade County police officers, killing one and injuring three. This month, a West Palm Beach gang member fired an AK-47, killing an 8-month-old baby.

Police departments from Danbury, Conn., to Dallas to Portland report that they are encountering more assault weapons and are arming their officers accordingly.

This surge of deaths stemming from semiautomatic assault weapons seems unnecessary. In 1994, President Clinton signed a law banning the sale of these weapons. But in 2004, President Bush and Congress allowed that ban to expire. Since then, Congress has made it illegal to keep nationwide statistics data on crimes committed with assault weapons.

But the city of Miami has its own data, which shows that last year, the police department seized 10 assault rifles. So far this year, it has seized 50.

Miami police Chief John Timoney said, "There's a need for Congress to step in here and pass some reasonable legislation that reduces the availability of these weapons in the hands of people who shouldn't have them."

Until that happens, the arms race between the criminals and the police will continue.

shark92651
11-27-2007, 8:43 PM
What a lop-sided story. You would think they would get at least a single quote or statement from someone that is pro-gun to counter all this FUD. The implication in the story, and what anyone ignorant of the 1994 AW ban would believe, is that these rifles were not available during the ban. Oh well, I really didnt expect much - this story seems very similar to the one right before the ban expiration in which CNN faked the demonstration to show how much more dangerous the post-ban weapons were. That was in Florida as well.

DrjonesUSA
11-27-2007, 11:07 PM

:eek::eek::eek:

WOW!!!

Why haven't I seen that before??????

That is great!!!!! Does anyone have a link to a complete clip of that segment??

I hope he got to actually explain that firearms banned under the '94 AWB are machine guns just like a '68 Pinto is a 2005 F60 Enzo.

savageevo
11-27-2007, 11:15 PM
same here, where is the complete vid on that. I would like to see what came out on that. Some nerve that chick, I bet she wasn't even there.

KDOFisch
11-27-2007, 11:34 PM
That's right, unless you're a convicted felon or mentally ill, it's perfectly legal to own a weapon that can fire 600 rounds in one minute.

Really?? Holy crap! FOPA of 1986 what??

Who are these numbnuts reporting these stories? No wonder everyone thinks we're crazy. They're reporting like there's a "Select-Fire 7-11" on every block.

Racefiend
11-28-2007, 2:48 AM
Miami police Chief John Timoney said, "There's a need for Congress to step in here and pass some reasonable legislation that reduces the availability of these weapons in the hands of people who shouldn't have them."

I agree with this. I think congress should pass a law that says criminals can't own firearms. Oh wait.....

DrjonesUSA
11-28-2007, 10:05 AM
I agree with this. I think congress should pass a law that says criminals can't own firearms. Oh wait.....

Well, the least they could do is make it illegal to kill someone with a gun....

Or make it illegal to use a gun to rob someone.....

Oh, wait......

subdjoe
11-28-2007, 6:20 PM
Let's just make crime illeagal....

Clodbuster
11-28-2007, 6:36 PM
Of course there are. And you can get them by mail order, FedEx'd next day, along with the black bullets which can penetrate armour like a hot knife through butter.

Clod

Really?? Holy crap! FOPA of 1986 what??

Who are these numbnuts reporting these stories? No wonder everyone thinks we're crazy. They're reporting like there's a "Select-Fire 7-11" on every block.