PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove Krylon?

Prc329
11-24-2007, 2:18 PM
I plan on stripping the paint from my rifle and redoing it with something more permanent soon. What is the best way to remove krylon without damaging plastic?

M1Shooter
11-24-2007, 2:21 PM
Can't you just paint over it?? In any event try one of the non-toxic orange-type paint strippers.

Prc329
11-24-2007, 2:24 PM
I don't want to make the finish to thick or risk the new finish coming off because of the krylon.

Altahick
11-24-2007, 2:56 PM
im thinking brake cleen, and a little bit of scrubing will most likely take it off. its worth a shot.

ColdSteel
11-25-2007, 12:17 AM
MEK... Also known as Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Beware! It melts some types of plastics too.

Prc329
11-25-2007, 12:20 AM
MEK... Also known as Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Beware! It melts some types of plastics too.

That is exactly what I don't want to do.

Roo
11-25-2007, 1:03 AM
Spray on CLP Break Free and let it sit for a little and then wipe it off. The paint will come off... ask me how I accidentally figured this out... Some places it came off very easy and others will take some more work.

metalhead357
11-25-2007, 1:13 AM
If you're unwilling to try the chemical processes.....good ol sandpaper will work. I would NOT go below (rougher than) 320 if you actually care about the stock undeneath...if you DONT care then hey- have at it with 120 but know you'll have to smooth the stock a little before new paint.

And what gives with the kylon? is it flaking off? I've had EXCELLENT results about 95% of the time with the 5% bad usually because I rushed the prep work:cool:

jumbopanda
11-25-2007, 1:21 AM
Any idea what type of plastic it is? Better yet, which part of which gun is it?

Prc329
11-25-2007, 8:20 AM
If you're unwilling to try the chemical processes.....good ol sandpaper will work. I would NOT go below (rougher than) 320 if you actually care about the stock undeneath...if you DONT care then hey- have at it with 120 but know you'll have to smooth the stock a little before new paint.

And what gives with the kylon? is it flaking off? I've had EXCELLENT results about 95% of the time with the 5% bad usually because I rushed the prep work:cool:

It is holding up fine, just want to duracote after I get my barrel installed.

sloguy
11-25-2007, 8:32 AM
carb cleaner melts paint. and some plastics. try spot testing in a area that doesnt matter( like under the butt pad) spray a bit on the stock and in a few seconds press your finger on the spot. if your fingerprints are molded into the stock then dont use it.

Prc329
11-25-2007, 10:46 AM
CLP didn't work on the metal. Didn't try the stock. I think I am going to leave the stock alone and just do the barrel and action. I know brake cleaner works on the metal so I'll strip it later.

chuck762
11-25-2007, 11:31 AM
If you know anyone with a soda blaster (kind of like a wimpy bead blaster)that will take paint off both metal and plastic. I used the one at work on one of my uppers. I had to experiment with pressure so it wouldnt hurt the KAC rail covers after modifing one with too high pressure. :kest:
Once I turned the pressure down to about 25 to 30psi it worked great. A lot easier than scrubbing with chemicals and bruses.

Our soda blaster won't remove any anodizing or parkerizing type finishes. Some will blow through metal but the operator can adjust it.

Two Shots
11-25-2007, 11:47 AM
I found this number they may be able to help.
KrylonŽ is dedicated to providing product & application information. If you have further questions or inquiries contact Customer Serivce at 1-800-4Krylon.
If they give you a good way to strip the paint or you find what works best please share it with us.

bohoki
11-25-2007, 11:59 AM
try some deep woods off or cutter insect repellant i got a bit on an ammo can once and it took off the yellow info paint

ar15barrels
11-25-2007, 1:54 PM
Have it media blasted.
They have all sorts of different medias that won't harm the underlying plastic or remove the anodizing from the metal parts.

But since you will be duracoating it, you could just glass bead blast it as well.
I would mask the magwell and the action bedding areas to protect the anodizing though.
The Duracoat will protect any other un-anodized areas.

Prc329
11-25-2007, 4:40 PM
I said screw it and bought some MEK. It striped a section with no issue of the metal. Did not try it on my AICS skin. I'm jus gonna paint over the camo in OD green. I was mainly concerned with the action anyway. Thanks for the help guys.

arfan66
11-29-2007, 10:18 PM
MEK evaporates pretty fast. So does acetone. If you just lightly dampen a rag (I use my old t-shirts for this) and wipe without letting the solvent pool or sit concentrated for a long time the paint should come off without harming your stock. I suggest trying this out on an inconspicuous part of your stock first.

I've rattle canned over cured Duracoat with no ill effects but spraying Duracoat over Krylon might not work too well. Polyurethane paints cure whereas enamels dry. The solvents in Duracoat might reactivate and lift the Krylon especially if it's scratched or chipped.

Good Luck!

Prc329
12-01-2007, 2:42 PM
Took some MEK on a rag and it will remove the paint from the skin and not damage it. Stripped the paint from the action without much fuss. Got a little high, even outdoors but it worked fast.