PDA

View Full Version : Firearm transfer from manufacturer to local shop

Butthead
11-23-2007, 7:57 PM
I was considering ordering a rifle from an out of state manufacturer and asked my local gun shop if they would receive the transfer and what the fees would be. I was told that they dont like those types of rifles or people
(.50 cal in DTC - Cal legal) and they would not accept it. I thought I read somewhere that they had to. :mad::mad::mad:

FortCourageArmory
11-23-2007, 8:08 PM
The gunshop is not under obligation to receive a firearm for you. If you bring one in to do a private party transfer, then yes, they are obligated to do that. But, no, there is no requirement for them to receive a gun for you. Requiring them to receive it would be like you coming into my shop and telling me what kinds of guns I had to carry for you. Not going to happen.

Butthead
11-23-2007, 8:24 PM
I must have mistaken it for the PTP transfer. Thanks. I guess I dont really see the difference in wether or not it comes from a manufacturer or another person. I am not telling anybody what kind of guns they have to carry for me. Just asking them to do the paperwork. Just seems weird that they would have to do the PTP transfer on a .50 cal from another individual but not a manufacturer. Anyway they have lost my future business. I am not fond of someone passing judgement on me because of the type of gun I shoot.

AJAX22
11-23-2007, 8:50 PM
Guns that are ordered from out of state are entered into dealer inventory prior to their being sold to you.

the paperwork is not a PPT, it is a standard firearm sale and appears on their books as an item logged into their bound book and logged out as a sale from them to you.

It exposes them to a considerable amount of liability if you did infact order a firearm which was not 100% ok since according to their records, THEY sold it to you.

A PPT is just a service they provide to facilitate the legal sale between two individuals, and as such they are not exposed to anywhere near the same degree, if the firearm is not 100% ok it comes down on you and the other party on the 4473 form.

If I'm wrong please correct me, but that was my understanding of the system and why FFL's are more hesitant to perform out of state transfers (aside from the legal obligation to perform PPT's)

M. Sage
11-23-2007, 8:57 PM
I was told that they dont like those types of rifles or people

So... out 'em. :p They don't like us, apparently.

G17GUY
11-23-2007, 9:07 PM
The gunshop is not under obligation to receive a firearm for you. If you bring one in to do a private party transfer, then yes, they are obligated to do that. But, no, there is no requirement for them to receive a gun for you. Requiring them to receive it would be like you coming into my shop and telling me what kinds of guns I had to carry for you. Not going to happen.

You are right; however, there are shops that will cater to the customerís wants and they will tend to receive business on a continuous basis.

And yes, you do have the right to carry guns only you yourself like and nobody else.

FortCourageArmory
11-23-2007, 9:21 PM
I agree with you completely. I have tried to always cater to my customer's needs and get the stuff they like. The shop that has the "I don't like those guns" attitude is my best friend because I'll be glad to take the business from them. Their loss, my gain. There is another shop in my town that continues to tell people that the Bushmaster AR with the welded-up mag well is the "only CA legal AR available" and that anyone (meaning me) selling anything else is doing it illegally. I just laugh and take thousands of dollars of business from them on OLLs....among other things.

G17GUY
11-23-2007, 9:28 PM
I agree with you completely. I have tried to always cater to my customer's needs and get the stuff they like. The shop that has the "I don't like those guns" attitude is my best friend because I'll be glad to take the business from them. Their loss, my gain. There is another shop in my town that continues to tell people that the Bushmaster AR with the welded-up mag well is the "only CA legal AR available" and that anyone (meaning me) selling anything else is doing it illegally. I just laugh and take thousands of dollars of business from them on OLLs....among other things.

http://www.zarcrom.com/users/yeartorem/awards/ThumbUpAwd.gif:)

Addax
11-23-2007, 9:35 PM
Butthead,

Where are you located?

I am sure there will be a friendly dealer in your area that one of us can recommend to you.

Butthead
11-23-2007, 10:10 PM
I have a dealer that will do it for me. It was just more inconvienant for me. Oh well, like I said there loss. I buy a ton of stuff lately (just started shooting again after a long layoff) and they wont get any of it. I just wanted to find out the law. It would have been fun to make them do it. But whatever. Everyone has their rights. It just rubbed me wrong when they said we dont like those rifles or the kind of people that shoot them. They have no problem selling .50 cal hand cannons and .458 elephant guns but they dont like my type. Heck I just punch holes in paper and steel.

4 Brigada
11-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey Butthead, have the same problem in Fresno. Only one FFL/dealer will do OLL, and thats only AR types. Sucks, but what you can do, is deal with the ones that support our hobby.

edited later

Guns that are ordered from out of state are entered into dealer inventory prior to their being sold to you.

Thats something I dont understand, I buy the gun/receiver with my money, I pay shipping and handling. When does it become his property? he just gets to store it in the safe until the ten days are over. The owner is the one that pays for the item at the point of sale, that would be the other party or the gun manufacturer. Thats like buying a car out of a state and the DMV owning the car until its registered.

tenpercentfirearms
11-24-2007, 7:11 AM
What fools. Why would anyone ever say anything like this? Now I told a customer the other day, "That makes me not want to sell you any guns and it isn't that funny considering the last guy in town got shot over that stuff."

But that is because the csutomer said, "How easy is it to convert that Saiga into full auto?" :mad:

Why spend all of my time and energy to get a license and do things legit just to turn around and make a few bucks on machine guns? Stupid.

Fjold
11-24-2007, 8:15 AM
So... out 'em. :p They don't like us, apparently.

+1, How about telling us the shop's name so we can not to do business with people who don't like us.

CSACANNONEER
11-24-2007, 9:25 AM
Since buying a 50 is a major investment, I will recommend that you join the FCSA and do a lot of research to pick out the right gun for your needs! If you're in So Cal, there are many of us that will let you see and shoot our 50s. PM me if you're interested. If you're in No Cal, there are several FCSA members up there that very willing to help you too!

4 Brigada
11-24-2007, 5:36 PM
hey tenpercent, you need to open up a branch in Fresno. Im going to have to drive to Taft. Only solution for me

Butthead
11-25-2007, 12:04 PM
+1, How about telling us the shop's name so we can not to do business with people who don't like us.

Without naming names it is a LARGE hunting/fishing franchise that just recently opened their first store in southern california.

Fjold
11-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Without naming names it is a LARGE hunting/fishing franchise that just recently opened their first store in southern california.

That's too bad, we're getting one here in Bakersfield.

M. Sage
11-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Ah, the "we don't carry magazines for those guns, sir. We're a family-oriented store." shop.

tenpercentfirearms
11-25-2007, 9:23 PM

And that is why I am not that worried about them coming to Kern County. I will survive.

FortCourageArmory
11-26-2007, 7:23 AM
And that is why I am not that worried about them coming to Kern County. I will survive.

"They" are 60 miles from me and everyone that has been in the shop that's also been there has remarked that they are incredibly over-priced. Mark me down as also not worried.

Knauga
11-26-2007, 9:34 AM
If it is the place I'm thinking of that just recently opened in Rancho Cucamonga, I would say you don't have to worry either... they have a lousy selection for handguns and ammo is even worse.

It's pretty bad when I would rather go to Turners to window shop. They are really the only two places (I know of) near enough that I can goof around at work and window shop.