View Full Version : Remington M700 PSS .308

11-23-2007, 7:43 AM
How many PSS shooters out there? I've got one of the black bolt rifles in .308 topped with a Badger Ordnance scope rail and their heavy steel rings along with a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14 power scope with Mil-dot reticle. It'll shoot sub-moa groups all day long with 168gr Sierra HPBT over 41gr of IMR 4895. A great rifle! I got lucky with this one. Only other mod is a Badger Ordnance oversize bolt handle for quick, positive repeat shots.

11-23-2007, 8:41 AM
Used to have one. Very good rifles.

11-23-2007, 8:46 AM
Yeah M1shooter I bought one last month and have been contemplating where to take the build. The last couple days I settled on the Badger/Leupold VX3combo exactly like you did but I was thinking of the fine duplex reticle and not the mil-dot, still haven't made up my mind, still not convinced I shouldn't get an illuminated reticle, rifle will be built by x-mas so I better figure this one out.

Someone told me I should stick with a Leupold 3x9 if the majority of my shooting is in the 100-200 yard range, but heck, I want to make some long shots too......are you pretty satisfied with your magnification choice?

Did you get the Badger scope mount with the 25moa inclination?

Any tricks at zeroing you'd care to pass on?

When I read about Rem700's on the web, it seems like the first thing everybody does is swap out or at least adjust the trigger. But it seems like the trigger is sweet right out of the box.....in fact I would say it's the best trigger in my collection and at least the equal of any rifle I have ever shot.

The box my rifle came in says Remington 700 Police .308, is your rifle any different?

My other big question, is when I load snap-caps into the rifle, one in the chamber and four in the magwell, the bolt tends to grab a second round when I try to send it home.....Completely SUX!! What am I doing wrong.....first bolt-action rifle for me, I'm an M1A guy......

Keep in touch!!

11-23-2007, 8:46 AM
I am going to refrain from posting another picture of my rifle :)

I have an SPS Varmint which uses the same barreled action with a blued finish. It has been heavily modded. It will shoot sub 1/2 moa groups if I am doing my part. Love the thing.

11-23-2007, 2:58 PM
While not a PSS, I have a heavy barreled 700 VLS in .308 in a Gunsite UARS stock (they were sued out of business by accuracy international, full length aluminum stock with polyurethane overmold.) Jewell trigger, Tubb firing pin & spring, Badger rings & canted base, Leupold 4.5-14 LR/T M1. Using 168 Sierras over 43.0 grains of 4064 it will knock down 6" steel disks at 540 yards one after the other once I get dialed in for the prevailing conditions. Next up is trying some 155gr Lapua Scenars, better BC than even the 175gr SMK's and with more velocity to boot.

I want to matte parkerize or duracoat the barrel & receiver and put a oversize bolt knob on it but it shoots so well at the moment I'm afraid to mess with it.

11-23-2007, 8:37 PM
Savannah started life as a PSS a few years ago. In her original state (all factory) she loved a steady diet of M118LR and put a few plaques on my wall. Now all that is left of her original state is the receiver (blue printed), bolt (with R&D knob) and trigger (highly worked over).

They are a damn good rifle fresh out of the box, though to make them really perform I recommend a trigger job and trueing the receiver and barrel to get rid of the infamous "remmy cant" (Remingtom sets the headspace by torqueing the barrel - mine was 17 MOA canted to the left).

11-23-2007, 11:51 PM

This might be something that is close to your rifle. I love my 700. It start it out as a 700SPS Varmint with a 26" barrel. Then I added a Leupold Var X III like yours, H S Precision stock, and a set of Leupold rings and base. I know, the rings and bases aren't the best but it gets the job done for the time being.
Remington makes great rifles, wouldn't own any other bolt rifles unless its a Remington.

11-24-2007, 6:55 AM
I have one. The trigger way to hard to pull. Im working on it. I will buy a drop in one of these days.

11-24-2007, 7:03 AM
I have one too with a Mark 4 scope, Badger rings, 20moa base, and Timney trigger. Mine likes 168s better than the 175s.

11-24-2007, 9:46 AM
I love my PSS! I have Badger mount and rings but went with a SS scope because I ran out of money. Definately sub MOA

11-24-2007, 10:09 AM

Is the place to find everything you want to know about that particular rifle. Everything that has been done and is being developed. I've had mine for several years. Badger rings,20moa 1piece base,factory trigger to 2pd. Fed Gold 168/175 or Blackhills 168/175 for your over the counter. Reloading is the best alternative for accuracy and price. 168's will group tighter at shorter ranges and 175's will carry through wind better at longer ranges. Both will hit 1k out of your rifle. Plenty of dope already compiled for your rifle on that website. Here is one to get your own dope http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj/traj.html
You will need to get your own chrony to get your velocities for your gun or just use what ammo states to get you a round about figure to start. Those guns for shooting at 100 or 200 yards all day everyday is waste of money as its capable of so much more. My advise would be to find an affordable way to obtain ammo, get your dope, shoot anything from prone to bench, find a 1k range, and shoot shoot shoot.

Oh forgot to add..... 10x will do just fine out to 1k..... if your eyesight is bad or you are looking for pinpoint precision rather than an upper torso hit at longer ranges then a variable will be needed. FFP for your reticle will help on the variables for range estimation. Brands deserving of that rifle: USO, NightForce, Leupold, S&B, Nikon, SuperSniper are all proven on those rifles for repeatability.