PDA

View Full Version : WASR-10 Hi Cap Don'ts

daywalker966
11-23-2007, 2:14 AM
I want to get a WASR-10 Hi Cap shipped to a bay area dealer, but it comes fully stock with pistol grip and the other evil features. How do I get around the legal aspects of that? If the gun is disassembled does it not matter if the pistol grip comes with it? Do I need anything besides a monstergrip to replace the pistol grip to make it CA legal? Sorry if these are old questions, I looked around the site for about 3 hours finding out all the info I could. Thanks for any help!! :)

TurboFall
11-23-2007, 4:41 AM
The only evil feature stock WASR-10's have is the pistol grip. If you buy from some places like DD's Ranch, they'll be happy to remove the grip before shipping, making it CA legal :) Alternatively, you could have it bullet-buttoned to make it a fixed-magazine rifle, allowing you to have a pistol grip and other evil features. I believe CWS does it free if you purchase a bullet button kit from them.

supersonic
11-23-2007, 11:25 AM
The only evil feature stock WASR-10's have is the pistol grip. If you buy from some places like DD's Ranch, they'll be happy to remove the grip before shipping, making it CA legal :) Alternatively, you could have it bullet-buttoned to make it a fixed-magazine rifle, allowing you to have a pistol grip and other evil features. I believe CWS does it free if you purchase a bullet button kit from them.

DD's WON'T ship with pistol grip OR EVEN 5-10 round mags (not even separately in the same order - pretty smart, actually), so you have options right there. I threw a crapco P.G./crapco trigger group anti-walk plate on there(HIGHLY recommended), along with buying some 10 rd. mags & a BulletButton. After tearing what came in the Century box apart; Gunscrubbing all metal parts & letting soak in a BreakFree "bath" overnight; sanding & putting 3 coats of spar urethane walnut clearcoat on all the wood & re-assembling (sounds like A LOT more work than it was - hardest part was installing BB mag lock: PITMFA!!)-I'd have to say that for a sub-$400 AK variant, she looks like a million bucks!!!!!:D

daywalker966
11-24-2007, 4:43 AM
Thanks for telling me about the 10 rd clips, I didn't know that. What site would be best to buy a WASR-10 from? I most likely will go with a bullet button so I can keep the pistol grip I like so much. Also what other evil features could I put on it legally? Thanks for any and all help!!

deldgeetar
11-24-2007, 10:41 PM
If an AK is what you're looking for, do yourself a favor and pick up a Saiga. Skip the WASR. Why pay more for a ****ty gun?

jandmtv
11-24-2007, 10:57 PM
dont get a wasr, spend a little more and get a real ak, wasr's are junk.

supersonic
11-24-2007, 11:32 PM
dont get a wasr, spend a little more and get a real ak, wasr's are junk.

Mine's not. That's YOUR opinion. I'm sure he'll be able to make up his own mind on what he likes. My WASR has the "classic AK "look", Saigas don't even come close. My WASR was $325, & 1350 rounds through it w/ out a single failure/jam. Oh, and it will hit anything you aim at within 50-100yds. The "best?' No. Rugged, rough & reliable like a real AK variant? Yep. Dean @ DD's Ranch has sold THOUSANDS in the last few years, & ONLY ONE WAS RETURNED. Junk? Nah, don't think so. Just a great bargain on an AK variant. "Real AK's" aren't very easy to find or get in PRK, last I checked. And Saigas, even though they may be decent guns, are not "real AK's." "Real AK's", are illegal to buy, sell, or import into California.

supersonic
11-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks for telling me about the 10 rd clips, I didn't know that. What site would be best to buy a WASR-10 from? I most likely will go with a bullet button so I can keep the pistol grip I like so much. Also what other evil features could I put on it legally? Thanks for any and all help!!

DD's Ranch. Ask for Dean - he'll confirm everything I said above. He's been a dealing w/ Century International for years. Oh, if you want a REAL opinion on this carbine, get it from the best:http://www.nrapublications.org/tar/CenturyGPWASR10.asp NOTE how it is described as having "monotonous reliability." "trigger slap" is now non-existent with them!:)

daywalker966
11-25-2007, 1:36 AM
Real AK's are banned in CA and a Saiga to me looks very ugly, I'm not looking for a pro rifle here, just one to take up to the range from time to time and home defense. Thanks Supersonic for all your help!!

daywalker966
11-25-2007, 1:51 AM
Also supersonic I only see WASR-2 Hi caps on there for sale, is there any other site that sells WASR-10 Low Caps that you would reccomend? Thanks!

TurboFall
11-25-2007, 5:10 AM
WASR's are on DDsRanch. They just don't list it in it's product name for whatever reason.Right here (http://ddsranch.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=560&osCsid=3e679324971c11f8fba365c4a192539a)

supersonic
11-25-2007, 5:51 AM
Glad you're staying on the right track, Daywalker. WASR10's really are much, much closer to the idea that Kalashnikov was first designing, and what eventually became the "Avtomat Kalishnikov 1947". They were never meant to be anything other than a utilitarian, reliable, built-like-a-tank "warts'n'all" close quarters battle carbine. The Saiga, I believe, (even though it may be a "fancier" gun-maybe NOT) was an "attempted"(?)improvement on something that did not need improving. Go figure! Also, if I am correct, (at least all the examples I've seen), Saigas have black "sporter" (think hunting rifle) stocks ,NO pistol grip, 90-degree gas blocks, and some type of elongated compensator @ the muzzle - a "true"-type AK has these (WASR10) features- a PISTOL GRIP, natural wood finish compact stock/same-same for the handguard&gas tube cover set/45-degree gas block/traditional slant brake @ muzzle . I got my WASR from DD's very recently, but if they are sold out (it happens frequently-go figure) check out THIS: http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=387 You can order the mags/slant brake & BulletButton on there as well, but you will have to go through Crapco (Tapco) to get the "right" pistol grip & ESSENTIAL trigger pin plate. I paid a lot less @ DD's for my WASR than what CWS is asking, so you might want to wait (if they are sold out) 'till they come back in- it'll be worth it! (Still, though, you will probably still want to get the other items I mentioned from the above mentioned sources. If there is anything else I can do to help, don't hesitate to PM me - I also have the tools,tips,tricks, etc. to get you where you wanna go with this project. Hell, if you are in my neck of the woods, I'll Teach/help you break it all down, and build it back up to a machine that Mikey K. himself would be proud of. Get back to me & let me know how it's going. Good luck! Peace.:) HEY! Turns out DD's might still have them:http://ddsranch.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=167&products_id=560 AND, if you want a GREAT sling, go here - about 1/3 the way down page on right, next to the AMD65 Hungarian cleaning kit(sling is the grey German AK "clip-on"-style):http://www.copesdist.com/ak47.htm

supersonic
11-25-2007, 6:07 AM
Real AK's are banned in CA and a Saiga to me looks very ugly, I'm not looking for a pro rifle here, just one to take up to the range from time to time and home defense. Thanks Supersonic for all your help!!

No problem, man! Glad to help a fellow enthusiast!:)+1 on the Saiga!!! Yeah, they might be a bit ugly (AK's are considered by some to be "ugly" as are AR15's-to each his own!!!) But to think someone would compare a Saiga to an AK-47 is....IMO...laughable!:rofl2: (I just don't have any use for them, I'm sure they are a great gun/bargain - just not for me.;))

daywalker966
11-26-2007, 12:36 AM
But arent's 30 rd magazines illegal in CA? So should I find a low cap WASR-10 Supersonic? Thanks truly for all your help!!!!!

supersonic
11-26-2007, 4:56 AM
You can get 10; 10/20; 10/30 double-stack mags here. The 10/30's are overpriced (but give your rifle an "authentic AK"- look while remaining legal.) They actually make 10/40's, but they are not only way overpriced, they make your AK look really stupid (actually, they make your AK look like what a stud looks like just before it mounts a mare!)+ they stick out so much that they knock everything off the table when you turn to one side or the other!:smilielol5:

Soldier415
11-26-2007, 6:34 AM
there are no such things as "hi-cap" mags. TG
here are standard capacity mags 30 rd, and neutered mags (aka CA 10 rounders)

Dont buy into the BOF hype

supersonic
11-26-2007, 7:24 AM
there are no such things as "hi-cap" mags. TG
here are standard capacity mags 30 rd, and neutered mags (aka CA 10 rounders)

Dont buy into the BOF hype

I'll have to agree with that!:)

gordoe
11-26-2007, 3:11 PM
Daywalker966, you should check out http://www.lanworldinc.com these guys are really nice, they deal with Californian gun owners, not like many others and have good prices, they have Vector Arms AK's with the Black Polymer stock and Blond Wood stock (I've read that these are better quality than the WASR, but I don't want to debate it like the Saiga and AK ) they also have WASR's for like $409.00, check out http://www.metroshotfirearms.com there you can get your 10 round magazines that look like 30 rounders and give your AK that classic look. On my 21st B-Day if all goes well I'll be getting myself a Vector Arms AK with the Black Poly Stock and a CZ-97B .45ACP. Good luck man.