PDA

View Full Version : S & W .500 Magnum

M1Shooter
11-22-2007, 5:59 PM
Anybody know of any pistol/rifle ranges that allow firing of the Big Smith in the South Bay area?

TonyM
11-22-2007, 6:17 PM
Anybody know of any pistol/rifle ranges that allow firing of the Big Smith in the South Bay area?

Every outdoor range should. For indoor, Reeds in Stanta Clara will let you shoot your .500 if you are experienced shooting it and understand what the cost of a target hanger is, and if you shoot one, you will be paying to replace it.

I shot mine at Reeds awhile back, just had to assure them that this wasn't my first time, and I had the means to pay for anything i broke/demolished. ;)

Flux Capacitor
11-22-2007, 6:25 PM
Is it that powerful? Can you break stuff with a 9mm?

TonyM
11-22-2007, 6:31 PM
Is it that powerful? Can you break stuff with a 9mm?

Yeah, pretty much.

9mm will just mess with the finish on the hangers. The .500 will tear them up.

Typical 9mm rounds are what, 115-140 grains and moving at about 1000fps ? the standard 350 grain load from Hornady for the 500S&W is moving at 1900fps.

To put it in perspective, just after Halloween we were out shooting some pumpkins and melons. My wife was shooting at a spaghetti squash with the 9mm and .40 s&w and was chipping away at it. I took one shot at another with the .500 and it basically vaporized and rained down from the sky about a second or two later.

M1Shooter
11-22-2007, 6:37 PM
Tony M....

Thanks for the info but I was more interested in the South Santa Monica Bay
area (i.e. Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hermosa, El Segundo, Inglewood area)

TonyM
11-22-2007, 6:55 PM
Tony M....

Thanks for the info but I was more interested in the South Santa Monica Bay
area (i.e. Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hermosa, El Segundo, Inglewood area)

Ah,

I saw Central Valley as your location and South Bay Area as your question. Automatically thought you were in Modesto/Manteca/Stockton and were going to be in the San Jose area.

Good luck on your search. I'd just give the ranges a call and ask.