PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith to true Remington 700 action

ocabj
11-22-2007, 3:07 PM
Who do you guys recommend (SoCal if possible) for truing a Remington 700 action? I'm going to acquire shortly an unbarreled action that I will want trued up for my future tube gun.

RRangel
11-22-2007, 3:38 PM
I'd like to know too. Are you by any change using a MAK receiver?

ocabj
11-22-2007, 4:48 PM
MAK receiver?

RRangel
11-22-2007, 5:18 PM
MAK receiver?

Oh, a Remington 700 action crossed with a custom AR type receiver that uses AI mags.

http://www.tubegun.net/RepeaterDetails.htm

ocabj
11-22-2007, 5:24 PM
Oh, no. I'm going with the Eliseo R5 kit:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek074.html
http://www.competitionshootingstuff.com

RRangel
11-22-2007, 5:27 PM
Does Eliseo make that in anything but 6BR?

ocabj
11-22-2007, 5:57 PM
As far as I know, no. Shoot him an email. He's willing to answer questions.

In the 6mmbr.com interview, it sounds like he may adapt the kit for 6x47 Lapua. I believe the main factor in adapting the kit for another cartridge is the magazines.

Ahhnother8
11-22-2007, 6:17 PM
Greg is one of the best at truing factory actions. Read through the process he uses to machine EVERYTHING true to the centerline of the bolt raceway, beginning with reaming the raceway. He can help with most anything you might need.

http://www.gretanrifles.com/actiontruing.asp

Another option would be a Stiller action ready to screw a barrel onto... :)

Lane

ocabj
11-22-2007, 7:12 PM
Another option would be a Stiller action ready to screw a barrel onto... :)

It has to be a Remington 700 since that's what the Eliseo R5 kit uses. If I had the mone to spend on a custom action for Across the Course, I simply buy a Tubb 2000 and be done with it.

rksimple
11-22-2007, 7:24 PM
After the first of the year, Randy at R+D Precision will probably start taking new work. He does good stuff.

saki302
11-22-2007, 10:13 PM
I second Randy at R&D Precision- he does great work at very reasonable prices. He's worth the wait :)

-Dave

PistolPete75
11-23-2007, 9:49 AM
I'm having Remington 700 actions trued by both R+D and Joe Hernandez. I will be posting results of both rifles, and direct comparisons on both rifles. Please be tuned. All parts are similar with AICS stocks, remington 700 short action, and Mike Rock AMU barrel. If the quality is on par with R+D, pricing will lower with a faster turn around time.

Spdjunkie
11-23-2007, 1:27 PM
Another Vote for:

Randy "HateCA" @ R&D Precision :D

Ahhnother8
11-24-2007, 10:46 AM
It has to be a Remington 700 since that's what the Eliseo R5 kit uses. If I had the money to spend on a custom action for Across the Course, I simply buy a Tubb 2000 and be done with it.

http://www.viperactions.com/

"The Predator line of actions are designed for hunting type of use. It is a drop in replacement for the Remington 700 series actions. It is available in both single shot and repeater versions in right bolt right port only. Short actions have 223, 308 and magnum boltfaces, long actions have 308 or magnum boltfaces."

Good call not wasting money on a Tubb. Lots of great options out there nowadays...

Lane

rg_1111@yahoo.com
11-24-2007, 3:05 PM
Ahhnother8,
Please explain why that Tubb's Rifle is a waste of money?

Good call not wasting money on a Tubb.

Works good for David Tubb.
Have you ever owned a Tubb rifle? Or shot one?
Have you ever won any championships?
This is not a flame. Im just curious about your experience.

ar15barrels
11-24-2007, 10:56 PM

David Tubb would win if you gave him a stock gun and 2 hours of gunsmith time before the national matches.
The fact that he wins is not greatly contributed-to by his gun.

Blue
11-25-2007, 9:44 AM
Another Vote for:

Randy "HateCA" @ R&D Precision :D

+1 he's in Glendora.

phish
11-25-2007, 5:15 PM

U.S. Palma Team member good enough for ya?

how about Spirit of America match winner?

nubcake....:rolleyes:

rg_1111@yahoo.com
11-25-2007, 5:40 PM
Phish,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_1111@yahoo.com

U.S. Palma Team member good enough for ya?

how about Spirit of America match winner?

nubcake....

So are you trying to tell me that the Tubb rifle is a waste of money?
Well your no David Tubb. Or is that good enough for ya?
Now if you like tell me WHY it's a waste of money. Or CAN YA?

Elarski
11-26-2007, 1:16 AM
Another vote for RD Precision. Randy is a top notch guy who does excellent work.

phish
11-26-2007, 7:39 AM
Phish,

So are you trying to tell me that the Tubb rifle is a waste of money?
Well your no David Tubb. Or is that good enough for ya?
Now if you like tell me WHY it's a waste of money. Or CAN YA?

Wow, you've got 4.5k to blow on a rifle, sans sights or scope, you've gotta tell me your secret.

please point to the post where I claimed being David Tubb, *crickets*

read my sig, it'll answer your last question...:rolleyes:

rg_1111@yahoo.com
11-26-2007, 8:48 AM
phish,

Wow, you've got 4.5k to blow on a rifle, sans sights or scope, you've gotta tell me your secret.

please point to the post where I claimed being David Tubb, *crickets*

read my sig, it'll answer your last question...

Like i said I just want to know WHY some people think it's a waste.
Yes I can spend 4.K on his rifle and wait 8 months to get it.
Hell people here spend $1,500 to 2,000 on M1A. That must be a Waste of money & Not that Accurate.
I have $1,800 in a Remmy 700p with a Luppy. And that's not much. Look what the cost of Tunning & trueing a rifle is.
And for your sig line. If you have to drink Kool Aid You Sir can't afford a Tubb rifle.

If anyone here can tell me WHY it's a Waste of money Please let me know.

phish
11-26-2007, 7:49 PM
Like i said I just want to know WHY some people think it's a waste.
because some shooters aren't gear queers

Yes I can spend 4.K on his rifle and wait 8 months to get it.
that's great, want a cookie? post your receipt from Creedmoor once your order is in

Hell people here spend $1,500 to 2,000 on M1A. That must be a Waste of money & Not that Accurate.
4500>2000, do the math...

I have $1,800 in a Remmy 700p with a Luppy. And that's not much. Look what the cost of Tunning & trueing a rifle is.
have another cookie, with whipped cream...

And for your sig line. If you have to drink Kool Aid You Sir can't afford a Tubb rifle.
lol, like you know what I do for a living or what I pull a year, and since you don't get the sig, you sir, fail...

number of factors: groceries, mortgage, bills, gas, property tax, etc.

Ahhnother8
11-26-2007, 8:13 PM
rg_1111@yahoo.com - Please explain why that Tubb's Rifle is a waste of money?

Have you ever owned a Tubb rifle? Or shot one?

As previously mentioned, Tubb would win with almost anything you handed him. I know a few others who could also do the same. They are just shooting machines!! :shrug:

I have not owned or fired a Tubb rifle. I played with Dennis DeMille's a little bit at the Highpower State Championship last year. One of the members on the 2007 Palma Team fired one, and he was on my squad, so I got to look it over too. Nothing really special or magic about it. It is basically a tube-gun, at thrice the price. I have a MAK tube gun, with a Krieger Palma barrel and a Krieger 22-250 barrel, and three different bolts, .223, std., and magnum. It shoots great, and won the first time I shot it at a 600 yard match with the 22-250 barrel on it. But I prefer a custom built Palma rifle, and the spacegun for XTC. Bottom line is, the Tubb is just NOT worth the money. Anyone considering one should speak with some top shooters and seriously listen to what they have to say. It just depends on what you want to accomplish with a given rifle. I can only think of one person in Northern California who shoots a Tubb rifle, and we ALWAYS kick his butt. :p

I've won a match or two, here and there. :D

Lane
2007 Palma Team - lowly trigger puller

ligamentum flavum
11-26-2007, 8:18 PM

i've been lurking this thread and i'm still waiting to read a sound opinion on why a tubb rifle is a waste of money. i don't own one (so i'm no koolaid drinker), but they've certainly got a reputation. they're expensive and it would be good to know why you consider them a waste of money. saying that money is better spent on groceries or a mortgage makes no sense. it would be more beneficial to us readers if you can comment on theintrinsic characteristics of a tubb that does not warrant its price tag.

i'm trying to stay objective on info in this thread, but you haven't made any logical arguments in support of your opinion. it just sounds like you have some personal vendetta against tubb.

ligamentum flavum
11-26-2007, 8:21 PM
As previously mentioned, Tubb would win with almost anything you handed him. I know a few others who could also do the same. They are just shooting machines!! :shrug:

I have not owned or fired a Tubb rifle. I played with Dennis DeMille's a little bit at the Highpower State Championship last year. One of the members on the 2007 Palma Team fired one, and he was on my squad, so I got to look it over too. Nothing really special or magic about it. It is basically a tube-gun, at thrice the price. I have a MAK tube gun, with a Krieger Palma barrel and a Krieger 22-250 barrel, and three different bolts, .223, std., and magnum. It shoots great, and won the first time I shot it at a 600 yard match with the 22-250 barrel on it. But I prefer a custom built Palma rifle, and the spacegun for XTC. Bottom line is, the Tubb is just NOT worth the money. Anyone considering one should speak with some top shooters and seriously listen to what they have to say. It just depends on what you want to accomplish with a given rifle. I can only think of one person in Northern California who shoots a Tubb rifle, and we ALWAYS kick his butt. :p

Lane

finally, a post with substance. thanks for your input ahhnother8.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
11-27-2007, 6:59 AM
Ahhnother8,
Thank you Sir. Good explaination.

Phish,
You win a cookie & a cup of Kool Aid. Drink UP JIM JONES.
Everybody has bills.

lol, like you know what I do for a living or what I pull a year, and since you don't get the sig, you sir, fail...

number of factors: groceries, mortgage, bills, gas, property tax, etc.

As Far as failing no. I buy what i want. I just work harder to buy the things i want. Have you every herd of OVER TIME?
Try some it wont kill you like the Kool Aid.

phish
11-27-2007, 7:35 AM
i've been lurking this thread and i'm still waiting to read a sound opinion on why a tubb rifle is a waste of money. i don't own one (so i'm no koolaid drinker), but they've certainly got a reputation. they're expensive and it would be good to know why you consider them a waste of money. saying that money is better spent on groceries or a mortgage makes no sense. it would be more beneficial to us readers if you can comment on theintrinsic characteristics of a tubb that does not warrant its price tag.

i'm trying to stay objective on info in this thread, but you haven't made any logical arguments in support of your opinion. it just sounds like you have some personal vendetta against tubb.

I'm the last person to hold any kind of vendetta against Tubb. If anything, my rantings were more directed to rg_whatsisbucket after he called out an accomplished shooter whom I respect.

I've read a lengthy discussion elsewhere on the rationale for increasing the price drastically from 2.5k, to 4.5k within a short time frame. Prospective customers weren't happy, but respected McBros' explanation. I've read the history and design rationale of the rifle from the days when DeMille shot his 300-18X, up to Tubb's latest book "The Rifle Shooter".

Is it a good design? Yes. Is it worth the 4.5k for the rifle itself, sans sights? No.

rg, enjoy your 60+ hour workweeks, please post your receipt from Creedmoor once your order is in, along with your 3/4", 3-shot group at 100 yards...:rolleyes:

ligamentum, I know 4.5k isn't worth as much today as it was last year, or even 6 months ago, but if you had 4.5k, what would you spent it on?

If you answered T2K, then you're either a.) swimming in piles of OT money, or b.) the one with faulty logic

ocabj
11-27-2007, 8:21 AM
Personally, if I had the $5K I'd get the Tubb 2000. Especially because the platform allows for quick and easy barrel changing via pre-fit barrels from SSS, much like on the Accuracy International platforms.

Theoretically, I could wrangle up $5K to purchase it, but as a single income person, I couldn't justify spending 6% of my annual salary (before taxes) on the gun. Spending $5K is a lot more compacted since my take home pay is significantly lower when I'm maxing out my 403b contributions every month ($1,300 taken out of my gross every month for 403b).

Anyway, the Tubb 2000 is an excellent platform, but it's very, very pricey. Thus, I am opting to build a match rifle using the Eliseo kit, which is a bit more in my justifiable price range.

That's why I like High Power service rifle competition. Even though you do spend a good amount of money on match fees, gas, and reloading, rifle maintenance costs is quite low compared to other rifles. A "National Match" ready AR can be built for $1200 easily and a new barrel and bolt that lasts for a season (~3-4K rounds) can run as low as $300 (and is user changable - no gunsmith fees).

Prc329
11-27-2007, 8:33 AM
Theoretically, I could wrangle up $5K to purchase it, but as a single income person, I couldn't justify spending 6% of my annual salary (before taxes) on the gun. Spending $5K is a lot more compacted since my take home pay is significantly lower when I'm maxing out my 403b contributions every month ($1,300 taken out of my gross every month for 403b).

I need a new job :(

rg_1111@yahoo.com
11-27-2007, 8:43 AM
Phish,
I never called out a accomplished shooter.
That's just a LIE for your RANT.
I did ask questions that he was kind and answered for me.
Yes i did thank him, for his information. You must of missed the part where i said that the questions were NOT a flame.
Yes i have a lot of respect for Ahhnother8. He answered my question nice.

Dang forgive me for asking a Question that i don't know. I didn't post to make you or anyone Upset.

I'm the last person to hold any kind of vendetta against Tubb. If anything, my rantings were more directed to rg_whatsisbucket after he called out an accomplished shooter whom I respect.

ar15barrels
11-27-2007, 8:51 AM
I need a new job :(

So do I.

PistolPete75
11-27-2007, 1:45 PM
So do I.

so do I.

RRangel
11-27-2007, 7:14 PM

Lane

Do you mind if I ask you some questions regarding your MAK rifle? PM's incoming.

Ahhnother8
11-28-2007, 7:22 PM
Do you mind if I ask you some questions regarding your MAK rifle? PM's incoming.

Not at all. Would be happy to post anything here also.

Before building ANY gun, I would and do ask a LOT of questions. They are just too expensive to screw up. I have had three different gunsmiths do a lot of work for me, all for free (I have GREAT friends!!). So, I kind of forget that fitting a barrel takes time and money. Switching a barrel that is chambered for any tubegun or TUBB takes 5 minutes. If the barrel has iron sights, it won't likely go back exactly where it was. But for a scoped rifle, it is no problem.

You might try nationalmatch.us and long-range.com for LOTS more info on match shooting and rifles. :)

Lane