PDA

View Full Version : Help me make an Optics Decision: EOTech 512, Trijicon Tripower, Trijicon ACOG.

tenpercentfirearms
11-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Ok, I spent a good part of the morning trying to figure out what I want to do with my optics packages for my AR15s. First, here are my current AR builds, both Bullet Buttons.

1. LMT lower, LMT SOPMOD, LMT MRP CQB 16" 5.56mm & 6.8mm, PRI & ARMS BUIS, Tango Down forward pistol grip.

2. Mega lower, RRA 16" midlength 9mm upper with standard FSB, RRA 6 Pos Tactical Stock, ARMS #40 rear sight.

I had an EOTech 512 on the LMT, but took it off this morning and put it on the 9mm. I will be keeping the EOTech since I already bought and paid for it.

Now my question is this.

I just got a Trijicon TriPower in the shop (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_52&products_id=359) and had it down at the house checking it out. I really, really think the TriPower. When I was looking at it inside the shop, I wasn't super impressed because the chevron didn't light up much. However, when I took it outside today and it got some sunlight, that baby lit right on up! I actually was thinking of putting it on my LMT because I like the idea of having a pretty fail safe red dot on my serious rifle. The only downside is you do not want to rely on the included mount for it, it needs something else.

However, I am getting ready to order my first Trijicon ACOGS from Acusport because they have a few on sale. Specifically I am going to order a TA01NSN (http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=142&back_row=4&categoryID=3) and a .

So the question is, what should I do? I think I am leaning towards the TA31RCO-M4CP because it seems like a better optic for my LMT 16". I like the idea of having a 4X magnifyer for either the 5.56mm or 6.8mm barrels.

If I do that, then I really don't have a current need for the TriPower, even though I really, really like it.

I am also thinking of having Spike's Tactical send me a MP5SD type fake can and a railed handguard for the 9mm build so I can get rid of the FSB on it and so the EOTech will work better.

The only other thing I can think of is I currently don't have a tactical 20" build, but I just ordered one of those on special Armalite 20" uppers and the [url=http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=476&back_row=4&categoryID=3]TA31RCO-A4CP (]TA31RCO-M4CP[/url) would be a tempting optic to put on a new 20" build. I have plenty of lowers and RRA NM LPKS and A2 buttstocks are easy to come by at the shop. If I did that, I could stick the TriPower on the LMT.

I think I am going to probably end up getting the TA31RCO-M4CP for the LMT 16" anyway because that would probably just be pretty darn cool. I just might have to spend the money and get a 20" upper and a new TA31RCO-A4CP for the later on too.

Now, I did take apart my POF Bullet Button build this morning and put that BB on my LMT that used to have a Prince50 with the antipation of building a Spike's Tactical .22 LR rifle to take care of my need to have a fully functional rifle should I leave the state (the Prince50 was my "out of state" option, but I like the idea of a .22 LR build for "out of state" much more).

So now the question is should I put the TriPower on my .22 LR build when I make one? Actually, I would think I might be better off putting on a variable scope or tactical kind of variable on it instead.

So answer me this, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on some variable tactical scope, but I want something tactical looking and variable on my .22 LR build when I make one. So tell me what you think will fit that bill.

bwiese
11-22-2007, 1:42 PM
ACOG 4X all the way. I find it's pretty fast sighting even for closer targets.

Those 'yotes won't stand a chance.

Though the Elcan SpecterDR 1x red dot/4X scope combo looks to be fun, will be trying it out tomorrow on my Noveske N4 upper...

ar15barrels
11-23-2007, 9:37 AM
TA01NSN on the 16" LMT as it's the closest BDC match for that setup.
Ideally, you would load 55gr bullets at 2950fps to make it work perfectly.
Otherwise shorten the barrel to 14.5" and shoot only M855 through it.

TA31RCO-A4CP is setup for the 20" and that's the only place I would use it.

You are missing the Aimpoint from your setups.
Put an Aimpoint with LaRue's cantelever mount and then a LaRue flip-up magnifier mount on the 6.8 upper as no ACOG reticle is really going to match a 6.8 trajectory and the 6.8 is not something to shoot at longer distances even needing a BDC reticle.

Eotech on the 9mm IS the right thing to do. :)

tenpercentfirearms
11-23-2007, 10:05 AM
TA31RCO-M4CP is setup for the 20" and that's the only place I would use it.

I think you have confused the TA31RCO-M4CP and the TA31RCO-A4CP. The M4 is set up for a 14.5" barrel and the A4 is set up for the 20".

I have learned a lot about ACOGs in the last two days. :D

I am not a fan of the plain old Aimpoint. My MRP would be a great set up for the Aimpoint plus 3X magnifyer, but I think I want to go with the best. ACOG baby.

So my new plan is to buy just about every model of ACOG I have seen recommended for the gun shop and then see which one I like. I will sell the rest. This is the benefit of owning a gun shop because I don't have to use my own money to see what I want. :D

I am pretty sure I am leaning towards the TA31RCO-M4CP, but I will let you know once I try them all.

Paratus et Vigilans
11-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Not that I don't love my EOTechs, which I do, but I'm looking for something to give my M4gerys a little distance accuracy, and that means either an EOTech 4x unit, which looks a little hunky to me, or the ACOG.

Go for the ACOG, Wes!

Better yet, stock them so I can buy from you instead of Optics Planet or MidwayUSA! :D

Seriously, either the TA31F or the TA31RCO-M4 ACOG is going to be my next optics purchase for my AR's. I believe they are both BDC calibrated to a 16" barrel for the 62 gr round. I would probably use them only with 69 gr HPBT's, and don't know how much of a difference that would make for the BDC, but that's what I'm thinking, anyway.

So, Wes, you can order up one more for me when you pick up yours! :D

ar15barrels
11-23-2007, 10:22 AM
I think you have confused the TA31RCO-M4CP and the TA31RCO-A4CP.

I did not notice that they had the RCO for the M4 now.
It used to just be for the A4. :D

Either way, shorten the 16" barrel to 14.5" and run M855 for the BDC reticle to work correctly.
I know a guy that can shorten, thread and permanent attach for you.

8200rpm
11-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Though the Elcan SpecterDR 1x red dot/4X scope combo looks to be fun, will be trying it out tomorrow on my Noveske N4 upper...

Let us know how that works out. That's one pricey optic! But, I guess you get two for one.

I have a Noveske N4 that's crying out for an optic. I can't decide between the EOTech, Aimpoint, or Trijicon TR21R.:banghead:

EDIT: Oh what the heck... I just pulled the trigger on a TA33R-8.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-23-2007, 11:42 AM
In regards to the mounts....have you taken a look at what Mark Larue has to offer? As I'm sure you are aware, his stuff is top notch....

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Optic+Mounts

tenpercentfirearms
11-23-2007, 12:45 PM
In regards to the mounts....have you taken a look at what Mark Larue has to offer? As I'm sure you are aware, his stuff is top notch....

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Optic+Mounts

I just e-mailed him asking about dealer pricing this morning! :D

FreedomIsNotFree
11-23-2007, 1:51 PM

Well, let us know if you are going to start carrying his products. He sells optics and mount combo's, but I dont see the TA31RCO-M4 ACOG on his site. Keep us updated.

randy
11-23-2007, 3:10 PM
This is a no brainer get the magnafication.

River Jack
11-23-2007, 4:15 PM
Did I miss something? So what was the general concensus for the recommended optic for a .22lr build?

jandmtv
11-23-2007, 4:17 PM
.22lr? lol, you can put a cheap knock off holosight or some cheapo scope off of ebay, for $30 and it will still hold zero. hehe :D

ar15barrels
11-23-2007, 4:32 PM

You are going to love the answer when you hear back what the dealer discount is.

I'll give you a hint: check the name of your business.
No discount on optics, just on LaRue products.

tenpercentfirearms
11-23-2007, 4:38 PM
I will take a 10% discount if there are no minimums to buy. That way I can take care of myself! :D

ar15barrels
11-23-2007, 4:39 PM
I will take a 10% discount if there are no minimums to buy. That way I can take care of myself! :D

There are no minimums.
Shipping is reasonable as well.
Quality and customer service are outstanding.