PDA

View Full Version : Just brought home my first Springfield M1a scout

Rck'n'ROll
11-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I have a few questions on my new scout that need to be addressed before I go shooting on Friday. One, I have read on a forum (can't find it in the manual, but I also am blind sometimes) that you cannot fully take down your rifle without voiding your warranty? Two, is the bolt lubed with the right kind of lube to shoot, or is it normal to degrees the rifle and re-lube it up prior to its first range day? Three, is this one of the best rifles of all time or what? As you might be able to tell from my quotes I spent some time in the Marines, and shot barrels out of M16-A2 and M2 .50 Cal's. But, I have never bought my own brand new rifle before, pistols and lowers yes, but never a brand new rifle. I have always bought used or put rifles together. So kinda nervous on this one. I really don't want to screw up $1950.00 with an attitude that I know everything about firearms. So i would rather go hear first and ask some questions and lose some of my street cred :D , rather than being a jackass and screwing it up:(.

If you missed my Title, I bought a M1A Scout. Yes, I know I probably spent way to much money on this, but I bought this from a local dealer and so I supported him and his business and no I never haggle over price because good gun shops are few and far-in-between :confused:. So I don't care if I spent $100 or $200 more for it.

I hate walking into a gun shop or any kind of store and getting ignored, i will just walk the F*CK out after 2-4 minutes of this. I used to work retail (sold high end home theartre for three years, after I left the Corps). The store trained us to always at least greet customers, and if busy tell the customer we will be right with them ASAP. This worked rather well and I never got a bad response from the waiting customer. The quality in having good customer service is all but gone these days. I can only find good customer service in only a few store's. In these store I will probably pay more for my product, however I always feel more satisfied and secure about my purchase. Because, if there is a problem with the product, I can always count on being helped promptly and a no hassle policy. There is no, "Ok stand in this line here, now go stand in that line over there," crap that happens when you need to return a defective product.

OK OK OK OK RANT OVER!!!!

Thnx for reading :D

NRAhighpowershooter
11-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Fisrt off.. how is SA Inc going to know ANYONE took their rifle apart?? impossible to tell.....(unless you scratch the heck out of it and booger something up)...

second off.. you need to field strip it and clean up the rifle and grease it properly.. SA Inc doesn't do this....

Third... best rifle??.. maybe 2nd after Garands, but then I'm a Garandaholic :D I have shot the scout and the SOCOM as well as owning 3 full size M1A's and I prefer the fullsize... just my 0.03(inflation ya know) :D

Rck'n'ROll
11-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Fisrt off.. how is SA Inc going to know ANYONE took their rifle apart?? impossible to tell.....(unless you scratch the heck out of it and booger something up)...

second off.. you need to field strip it and clean up the rifle and grease it properly.. SA Inc doesn't do this....

Third... best rifle??.. maybe 2nd after Garands, but then I'm a Garandaholic :D I have shot the scout and the SOCOM as well as owning 3 full size M1A's and I prefer the fullsize... just my 0.03(inflation ya know) :D

Perfect, thnx a million NRA :D

Max-the-Silent
11-22-2007, 4:20 PM
Field strip, clean and lube.

Two schools of thought, barrel break-in, no barrel break-in.

Barrel break in:

Fire one round, clean bore until no traces of fouling. repeat for the next 19 rounds. Your barrel is broken in.

No barrel break in:

Shoot it 'till it is too hot to touch.

On service (GI Issue types) rifles I don't break in the barrel. On target/competition/DM rifles I do. Take your pick.

Get a Dewey cleaning rod and a bore guide.

Be prepared, 7.62 is bloody expensve these days. I've had to cut back on new firearms purchases due to my ammo costs for training - the department is underfunded due to the increased cost of ammo across the board.