PDA

View Full Version : Can you fly with a rifle case like this?

Ryan HBC
11-22-2007, 11:21 AM
I plan on bringing a rifle up to my mom's house in Utah and leaving it there. Would the airlines accept a standard case like this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=852250

It has a loop where you can put a conventional lock on it, which I will use of course. I'd hate to have to leave a nice case there, and don't want to bother bringing an empty one back.

DedEye
11-22-2007, 11:31 AM
As far as I know that's legal. Hard case + lock.

BB63Squid
11-22-2007, 11:35 AM
I plan on bringing a rifle up to my mom's house in Utah and leaving it there. Would the airlines accept a standard case like this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=852250

It has a loop where you can put a conventional lock on it, which I will use of course. I'd hate to have to leave a nice case there, and don't want to bother bringing an empty one back.

Your plan is suspect or more specifically that case is and how you would have to lock it. Your second best bet is to call TSA and ask them specifically about the case in question and your method of locking The problem with this scenario is that it has a big hole in it as you will never get the same answer twice from anyone at TSA. So one person may say it's ok and then when you get to the airport the supervisor in charge say "no way". Then you are up the creek without a paddle.

A secondary problem with your method is that it locks in the center and someone could easily open it up just enough or pry open the ends to get your weapon out or at least screw with it.

The most foolproof method is to take a case that either has locks built-in or lock shackle holes such as a Pelican or other assorted brands that let you secure it with a padlock.

IH8CALAWS
11-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Why not mail it to you'r self and have it waiting for you whem you get there?
It would save alot of hassle with the airlines, and 10% of bags in the holiday season get lost or sent to the wrong airport. I would not want to be in that 10%, would you?

BB63Squid
11-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Why not mail it to you'r self and have it waiting for you whem you get there?
It would save alot of hassle with the airlines, and 10% of bags in the holiday season get lost or sent to the wrong airport. I would not want to be in that 10%, would you?

That is the best idea yet!

bwiese
11-22-2007, 12:01 PM
I fly with guns several times a year - once it was an AR, a FAL, and a wheelgun - another year it was an AR10, Rem 700LTR and a Glock all at once.

I fly with Starlight or Pelican cases. Storm cases by Hardigg are also good, I'll probably get one of those too. [Kalispel metal cases are great but they're too nice to get dinged.]

I think that case you posted, when locked up, meets the minimal standards for airlines, TSA - or even locked/unloaded standards for transport CA AWs.

However, airline luggage gets a lot of abuse. If it were a valuable gun and/or scoped, etc. I'd sure as hell get something heaver duty - especially if your flight has multiple segments/connections.

If you have multiple connections to/from your destination, I'd advise scheduling them so you don't have tight connections - i.e, 45+ min layover between flights. When you get off one leg proceed directly to gate to your departing leg, and talk to the gate agent to get assurance that your luggage will make it on that next leg. The little blonde girl may breezily assure you that that is indeed the case - until you *politely* mention that you are travelling with multiple declared, legal firearms and you really wouldn't want them misdirected and circulating in the luggage carousel at Hoboken for Columbian luggage thieves' ready access. They (unless hyper busy) will then get a sudden serious look and check - I've had them call down the ramp on the radio to check.

In fact I think travelling with firearms is a good way of ensuring the rest of your luggage suite gets to your destination on time. And if you have grief, they upgrade you to first class :)

You can get "insurance" on your guns, but it's not full insurance. It's called "excess value declaration" and it's ~$10/$1000 coverage for each side of your flight. It does not necessarily protect against minor damage or damage to delicate optics but will help if lost, help trace, etc I think also there may be better treatment/interal luggage accountability, I think it may get flagged in the system somehow as "covered".

Fjold
11-22-2007, 12:04 PM
click on the button that says specifications and details.

It says "FAA Approved- NO"

Socal858
11-22-2007, 12:48 PM
since you are planning to leave it at your moms house , i would definitely just ship it there

BB63Squid
11-22-2007, 12:59 PM
click on the button that says specifications and details.

It says "FAA Approved- NO"

Good eyes! I guess that settles that.