PDA

View Full Version : CCW Reason (Placer County)

Druac
11-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Hello fellow CA hand gunners.

I am thinking about trying for a CCW here in Placer County. My reason for this is that my brother and I plan on starting a business and I would prefer to have my CCW BEFORE doing so. I have been told that Placer County is one of the best for issuing CCW. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has successfully acquired a CCW here in Placer County. Please send a PM if you have any advice or suggestions.

Also, does it make a difference in the level of training you receive BEFORE applying? I was planning on doing as much training as I can afford regardless, but was thinking the more I do before the better. If so, does anyone have suggestions for classes here in or around Placer County?

Thanks!

JeffCinSac
11-21-2007, 11:17 AM
PM inbound.

tango-52
11-21-2007, 11:18 AM
It is my understanding that the odds are pretty good for getting one in Placer County. Go to www.calccw.com for lots of info and advice from people with CCWs.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Good luck to you. Although I have a fundamental problem asking the government for permission to defend myself and my family, I understand why some people have the need to work within the existing system....however corrupt and unfair it may be.

There is an entire site dedicated to CCW issues.
http://californiaccw.org/

Glock22Fan
11-21-2007, 11:20 AM
I know you haven't really done so yet, but I would like to stress that NO-ONE should ever discuss their Good Cause on line in any more than vague terms.

It is very important that your Good Cause is unique to yourself and does not look like a cut and paste copy of a generic web-based recommendation.

http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff.aspx is the link to the Placer County Sheriff's department, in case you don't have it.

This link is to the CCW resources for Placer County. To get it (in case the link doesn't work for you), I went into the link in the last paragraph and did a search on "ccw." http://www.placer.ca.gov/SearchResults.aspx?page=1&q=ccw

See also: http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/gettingstarted.html

Druac
11-21-2007, 1:19 PM
I know you haven't really done so yet, but I would like to stress that NO-ONE should ever discuss their Good Cause on line in any more than vague terms.

It is very important that your Good Cause is unique to yourself and does not look like a cut and paste copy of a generic web-based recommendation.

http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff.aspx is the link to the Placer County Sheriff's department, in case you don't have it.

This link is to the CCW resources for Placer County. To get it (in case the link doesn't work for you), I went into the link in the last paragraph and did a search on "ccw." http://www.placer.ca.gov/SearchResults.aspx?page=1&q=ccw

See also: http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/gettingstarted.html

Thanks!

artherd
11-21-2007, 5:02 PM
Excellent advice John. I would add that if possible, do not include in your written good cause any critical time/safety details; as the Good Cause statement is public record, and the SO might forget (or actually be legally prohibited) to redact the sensitive information.

Wulf
11-21-2007, 7:53 PM
PM inbound.

Knauga
11-21-2007, 9:46 PM
I would speak to some of the instructors that handle Placer County training first. They'll know what the Sheriff wants to see on the application and can probably steer you away from those things that he doesn't want to see. Placer Co. is considered almost shall issue which means with a minimal amount of word placement you should get your permit.

Billy Jack's site >>here<< (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/) has a lot of great info and is great for getting ready for difficult or no issue counties, but some of the tactics may give you more grief in a shall issue situation. Sometimes you need a hammer and sometimes a smile and a handshake will work just fine, from what I have heard Placer is a very CCW friendly place.

Best of luck!

matarlegoate
11-22-2007, 12:24 PM
I had a CCW issued in Placer county while I lived in Auburn. I listed the reason as "personal protection" and it was never questioned. I think I may have taken the PC 832 course prior to getting my permit, but I can't really remember. Other than that, I was just your average everyday citizen.

Good luck.

Glock22Fan
11-22-2007, 1:22 PM
Billy Jack's site >>here<< (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/) has a lot of great info and is great for getting ready for difficult or no issue counties, but some of the tactics may give you more grief in a shall issue situation. Sometimes you need a hammer and sometimes a smile and a handshake will work just fine, from what I have heard Placer is a very CCW friendly place.

Best of luck!

Team Billy Jack agrees that you should not get confrontational until the situation merits it. Keep the hammer out of sight until you need it. Try the smile first. Don't start by demanding to see a list of issued CCW's (PRAR). HOWEVER, whether you are in a good area or not, you should still follow the same general procedure. Don't do things verbally (phone or face to face) - except perhaps for the initial simple request for an application form; document everything - do it in writing, certified mail. There's nothing that they can take offence to with that - it is just professional behavior. By all means, ask politely for a written copy of their policy, saying that you want to make sure you have dotted all your i's and crossed all your t's.

Keep the big guns ready in case things turn sour. At that point is where the PRAR's and possible court cases come in. At that point, you will be glad that you have everything in writing, with receipts for the documentation that you've submitted. And this can happen in a fairly friendly county.

BUT, and this is a very big BUT, it is imperative that you have all your ducks in a row right from the start. Mess things up a little and get denied, it is much more difficult to recover.

And remember, people do get denied, even in counties such as Kern, O.C. and Placer.

MedSpec65
11-22-2007, 2:45 PM
You might want to call Chris Ewens at (530) 235-0721 at BullEye Tactical Firearms Training in Castella (Shasta County). He has a CCW CA-Approved course available for around $125.00 I've checked out his website a lot and his facility and set-up looks solid. www.guninstructor.com/ Be careful with this. You might want to get your Utah non-resident permit FIRST. At least you can carry legally in many States, including Nevada now with this permit. If you get a denial here in CA you have to report that denial on any carry application you submit in any State in the union. It's usually one of the first questions they ask. A California denial could leave you disarmed in public in most States. I wouldn't risk it.

God Bless The Mauser
11-22-2007, 8:55 PM
I'm going to apply for one soon here in Placer. I'm sure there is an age limit right?

tango-52
11-22-2007, 9:10 PM
I'm going to apply for one soon here in Placer. I'm sure there is an age limit right?
I'd bet the minimum age is 21. Good luck.

artherd
11-22-2007, 11:27 PM
You might want to get your Utah non-resident permit FIRST. At least you can carry legally in many States, including Nevada now with this permit. If you get a denial here in CA you have to report that denial on any carry application you submit in any State in the union. It's usually one of the first questions they ask. A California denial could leave you disarmed in public in most States. I wouldn't risk it.

I had never thought of this angle, I did get both my FL and UT permit before CA but for a lesser reason (that being to use the existing permits as additional persuasive reasoning.).

Anyone heard of a denial in CA leading to a denial in another state?

ccwguy
11-23-2007, 2:41 PM
You might want to call Chris Ewens at (530) 235-0721 at BullEye Tactical Firearms Training in Castella (Shasta County). He has a CCW CA-Approved course available for around $125.00 I've checked out his website a lot and his facility and set-up looks solid. www.guninstructor.com/ Be careful with this. You might want to get your Utah non-resident permit FIRST. At least you can carry legally in many States, including Nevada now with this permit. If you get a denial here in CA you have to report that denial on any carry application you submit in any State in the union. It's usually one of the first questions they ask. A California denial could leave you disarmed in public in most States. I wouldn't risk it.

Grossly inaccurate info, please do not spread FUDD.

By the way.......................90% of the other states are shall issue so how would a denial here affect a right to carry state ccw

ccwguy
11-23-2007, 2:46 PM
I had never thought of this angle, I did get both my FL and UT permit before CA but for a lesser reason (that being to use the existing permits as additional persuasive reasoning.).

Anyone heard of a denial in CA leading to a denial in another state?

Being a CCW collector does not help your cause. I would not state that fact to your interviewer.

Looking for CCW in Placer? Training perhaps? Call me to get the real skinny.
I had a CCW issued in Placer county while I lived in Auburn. I listed the reason as "personal protection" and it was never questioned. I think I may have taken the PC 832 course prior to getting my permit, but I can't really remember. Other than that, I was just your average everyday citizen.

Good luck.

832 training? what's that? It's pc 12050. Your credibility is toast, any more BS?

personal protection? really?

Let's provide the facts, just the facts.

CSDGuy
11-23-2007, 3:07 PM
Being a CCW collector does not help your cause. I would not state that fact to your interviewer.

Looking for CCW in Placer? Training perhaps? Call me to get the real skinny.

832 training? what's that? It's pc 12050.

PC 12050 requires that the applicant either go through training that is acceptable to the issuing authority or PC 832 Firearms training. Also in PC 12050 is a statement that says that the issuing authority can require PC 832 Firearms training only if all applicants are required to take that training.

That is the training required by PC 12050.

PC 12050 (E) (i) For new license applicants, the course of training may be
any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall not exceed 16
hours, and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and
the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm. Notwithstanding
this clause, the licensing authority may require a community college
course certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and
Training, up to a maximum of 24 hours, but only if required uniformly
of all license applicants without exception.If I am wrong, please show me where I am...

ccwguy
11-23-2007, 3:10 PM
PC 12050 requires that the applicant either go through training that is acceptable to the issuing authority or PC 832 Firearms training. Also in PC 12050 is a statement that says that the issuing authority can require PC 832 Firearms training only if all applicants are required to take that training.

That is the training required by PC 12050.

If I am wrong, please show me where I am...

POST/ 832 training has never been required in Placer.

CSDGuy
11-23-2007, 3:23 PM
POST/ 832 training has never been required in Placer.
You're right... however it IS on the acceptable list for training.
Here's the link: CLICK ME FOR A PDF (http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/%7E/media/srf/Cwp/CCW%20Procedures%20pdf.ashx)

Look at Item #4...
Need I say more?

ccwguy
11-23-2007, 4:05 PM
You're right... however it IS on the acceptable list for training.
Here's the link: CLICK ME FOR A PDF (http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/%7E/media/srf/Cwp/CCW%20Procedures%20pdf.ashx)

Look at Item #4...
Need I say more?

Doing POST training for a ccw is redundant under HR218. As a civilian applying for a CCW why do 16+ hours of POST when you can do the 8 hour class that is way more comprehensive instead. "personal protection' is not good cause unfortunately, unless you are a LEO who does not qualify under HR218, so I still call BS. In my reading it's still not good accurate info. There is far too much FUDD spread regarding California CCW issuance it instills fear and apprehension in the shooting community. this http://californiaconcealedcarry.comis a good site for accurate info. As well ashttp://calccw.comUntil California is a 'right to carry' state like most others, we'll have to play by the 'rules' to get one. Most people have good cause to get one yet do not know how to express it on their application, resulting in denials. Public forums are not always the answer to the questions involved in such. The variables from County to County is enough to make your headspin with all the politics involved.

In a nutshell, the poster is LEO or the like, so it's not real world info.

CSDGuy
11-23-2007, 4:14 PM
Doing POST training for a ccw is redundant under HR218. As a civilian applying for a CCW why do 16+ hours of POST when you can do the 8 hour class that is way more comprehensive instead. "personal protection' is not good cause unfortunately, unless you are a LEO who does not qualify under HR218, so I still call BS. In my reading it's still not good accurate info. There is far too much FUDD spread regarding California CCW issuance it instills fear and apprehension in the shooting community. this http://calccw.comis a good site for accurate info. As well as [url="http://californiaconcealedcarry.com"]Until California is a 'right to carry' state like most others, we'll have to play by the 'rules' to get one. Most people have good cause to get one yet do not know how to express it on their application, resulting in denials. Public forums are not always the answer to the questions involved in such. The variables from County to County is enough to make your headspin with all the politics involved.
I suggest you check your facts. PC 832 Firearms is 24 hours. Otherwise, initial applicants may take a course that is not to exceed 16 hours. You do not have to be LEO to take PC 832... and as a civilian you would not be covered under the LEOSA... A LEO who is qualified to carry under the LEOSA would know their status.

ccwguy
11-23-2007, 4:19 PM
I suggest you check your facts. PC 832 Firearms is 24 hours. Otherwise, initial applicants may take a course that is not to exceed 16 hours. You do not have to be LEO to take PC 832... and as a civilian you would not be covered under the LEOSA... A LEO who is qualified to carry under the LEOSA would know their status.

Thats what I said aint it? Why do 16+ when you can do 8.

maybe I was editing while you were researching.......

CSDGuy
11-23-2007, 5:06 PM
Thats what I said aint it? Why do 16+ when you can do 8.

maybe I was editing while you were researching.......
No. What you said was technically correct. Unfortunately, it gives the impression that the hours required under PC 832 is 16 hours... or more when in fact, it may be NO LESS than 24 hours.

Call me a skeptic, but I find it difficult to believe that you can fit adequate safety instruction, laws and court cases regarding use of force, legal transport/storage, and so on... and do quality range instruction and qualification in 8 hours that is equivalent to PC 832.

I posit that PC 832 is more comprehensive, but your class is specifically tailored to the needs of a person who needs a CCW.

matarlegoate
11-23-2007, 5:46 PM
[QUOTE=ccwguy;847539

832 training? what's that? It's pc 12050. Your credibility is toast, any more BS?

Let's provide the facts, just the facts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have lots more BS. But the fact is, I took a course from Sierra College listed as the PC832 course-dealt with firearms familiarity, had a shooting portion, and the laws of arrest.

Not sure why you are being such a tool. I just told you what I did, and how I got a permit. If you don't like it, don't follow what I did. I didn't say it was a requirement, just said that's what I did, and that's how I got a permit.

supersonic
11-23-2007, 7:54 PM
I STILL haven't heard (or witnessed/seen) a solid answer to "what" exactly a denial does for future applicants. Sac Sheriff's Dept. says, unless circumstances of denial were "lying on first application"; felony/criminal past- it makes absolutely NO difference whatsoever. Mrs. Wong told me that personally. People's circumstances can change from one period of time to the next. Unless someone can come up with hard evidence to the contrary, I'm calling a big F.U.D.D. on this commonly heard "warning " about denial(s).:confused:

Wulf
11-24-2007, 10:08 AM
I STILL haven't heard (or witnessed/seen) a solid answer to "what" exactly a denial does for future applicants. Sac Sheriff's Dept. says, unless circumstances of denial were "lying on first application"; felony/criminal past- it makes absolutely NO difference whatsoever. Mrs. Wong told me that personally. People's circumstances can change from one period of time to the next. Unless someone can come up with hard evidence to the contrary, I'm calling a big F.U.D.D. on this commonly heard "warning " about denial(s).:confused:

I think its obvious that the denial question is one designed to allow the issuing authority to capitalize on any investigative work done previously on the candidate. If some previous LEO saw fit to deny you, that's obviously something the current LEO would want to integrate into their decision.

Obviously its better to be able to answer "no" to that question rather than "yes" as a "yes" is not likely to lead to a discussion that will help your case. Assuming the issuing authority is predisposed to grant you a permit, whether or not they follow through will depend entirely on the cause behind the denial you previously received.

supersonic
11-24-2007, 10:34 AM
I think its obvious that the denial question is one designed to allow the issuing authority to capitalize on any investigative work done previously on the candidate. If some previous LEO saw fit to deny you, that's obviously something the current LEO would want to integrate into their decision.

Obviously its better to be able to answer "no" to that question rather than "yes" as a "yes" is not likely to lead to a discussion that will help your case. Assuming the issuing authority is predisposed to grant you a permit, whether or not they follow through will depend entirely on the cause behind the denial you previously received.

Totally agree. It has just been my experience that most have this attitude of "don't even get denied ONCE, or you will be SCREWED in the future if you re-apply." It is not as black and white as that.

Wulf
11-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I think if you applied in SF County and got denied 10 years ago and now you're living up in modoc the CLEO wouldent hold it against you. Just like if you applied once and got denied because of a similar name to guy who's a felon.

Glock22Fan
11-24-2007, 4:55 PM
Look, that some LEO departments don't care (that you have had a refusal) may be a fact. Others are looking for an excuse, ANY EXCUSE, to turn you down.

Why risk it?

And thanks for the nice words, CCWGuy. If anyone thinks that any information on our site is incomplete, inaccurate or missing, please contact us and we will do our best to rectify.

Druac
11-25-2007, 3:44 PM
Sorry I didn't reply again sooner as the holidays kept me busy.:D Didn't mean to start a debate here.:(

I'm not rushing into any thing at the moment as I plan to get as much defense/tactical/safety training in (for my own benefit and personal choice, not just to impress) before I take any CCW class for the actual purpose of applying. Not to mention, I have not yet purchased my primary CCW weapon (Just decided on what I want to carry today!:)).

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/springfield/XD9812.jpg

I have recieved much appreciated feedback via PM's and I am fairly certain I know what my path will be in this regards thanks to ALL of you!

This site rocks!:punk:

hitman13
11-25-2007, 4:04 PM
great pistol, i carry one as well as a XD45C