PDA

View Full Version : Is the AR's buffer & spring supposed to rattle just moving around?

OutlawDon
11-21-2007, 11:47 AM
I am new to the AR world, and just finished building my first varmint AR. I like my rifles to be tight and not make any noises even when just carrying and moving around. The buffer and spring seems to be rattling in the tube even when just shaking the rifle. Is that normal? And is there anything I can do to make it tighter like the SSS chrome silicon flatwire buffer springs or a pneumatic buffer from Olympic Arms? But would those still rattle around in the buffer tube.

I guess it's more of an annoyance. I was wondering how the military remains stealthy and quiet during combat when their AR's are rattling just from changing and moving rifle positions.

Nefarious
11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Its a normal thing.
I dont really notice it..I dont think its that loud, or maybe im just used to it... but on my Skeleton stock.. I can really pick it up

Paratus et Vigilans
11-21-2007, 1:17 PM
None of my builds rattle like that just from moving around, and I've got five different styles of buttstocks (SOPMOD, Vltor, Magpul PRS, carbine and A2).

YMMV, but that doesn't sound right to me. Maybe you don't have the proper spring and/or buffer for the length of stock you're using???

The "sproing" sound when firing is a common thing, but it doesn't sound like the rattle you're describing.

You need to look into this further! Good luck!

supersonic
11-21-2007, 1:24 PM
None of my builds rattle like that just from moving around, and I've got five different styles of buttstocks (SOPMOD, Vltor, Magpul PRS, carbine and A2).

YMMV, but that doesn't sound right to me. Maybe you don't have the proper spring and/or buffer for the length of stock you're using???

The "sproing" sound when firing is a common thing, but it doesn't sound like the rattle you're describing.

You need to look into this further! Good luck!

+100%!!!!

OutlawDon
11-21-2007, 1:50 PM
***Update...fixed the problem. The issue was that the spacer's diameter is slightly smaller than the diameter of the tubing in the stock, so it would rattle around even when the back screw was tight. I simply got some scotch tape and wrapped it around the spacer to build up more thickness and tightness once in the stock tube. Worked nicely....no more rattling from the damn spacer now.