PDA

View Full Version : Detent Pin for AR15

edittman1
11-21-2007, 8:02 AM
Does anyone have a spare? Where can I get another one if not?

I have a stag LPK.

Thanks,
Everett

Nefarious
11-21-2007, 8:07 AM
where are you located. If your in the SD area, Don Gussler stocks some lower pieces. If not.. heres a thread wtih online places - which does include some shops up north
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=75181

Red_5
11-21-2007, 8:22 AM
It's good idea to have a field repair kit and a spring kit or two around. They are cheap and have all the small parts that commonly get lost or run away during assembly/maintenance. You can get them from any of the vendors that sell AR parts.

I keep a field repair with each of my AR clones. It's a drag to have a rifle out of service for lack of a 10 cent part.

;)

cho034442
11-21-2007, 8:24 AM
If you could post which detent you need I will take a look at my parts bag.

Gringo Bandito
11-21-2007, 8:27 AM
I may have one as well. I am located in the east bay.

ocabj
11-21-2007, 8:32 AM
Yes, you should definitely have a spare parts kit for your AR if you use it a lot.

If you are going to place an order for a detent pin, you should also include on your order:

A couple firing pins
A couple sets of gas rings
A couple of cam pins
A few cotter pins
A couple extractors, extractor springs, and extractor pins
A couple of ejectors, springs, and pins
A complete bolt with good headspace (ideally a complete bolt with bolt carrier, firing pin, and cam pin ready to drop in)
A couple of each pin, spring, and detent used in the lower

I highly recommend all of the spare bolt parts (and a complete spare bolt). If anything is going to break prematurely, it's most likely going to be something in the bolt assembly. If you pierce a primer, there's a good chance the firing pin will be damaged so you'll want to change it if pierced primers become more frequent. I've seen bolt lugs shear off during a match, so it's nice to have at least a spare bolt with good headspace for those rare unfortunate times when you need the gun up and running asap.

PolishMike
11-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Yes, you should definitely have a spare parts kit for your AR if you use it a lot.

If you are going to place an order for a detent pin, you should also include on your order:

A couple firing pins
A couple sets of gas rings
A couple of cam pins
A few cotter pins
A couple extractors, extractor springs, and extractor pins
A couple of ejectors, springs, and pins
A complete bolt with good headspace (ideally a complete bolt with bolt carrier, firing pin, and cam pin ready to drop in)
A couple of each pin, spring, and detent used in the lower

I highly recommend all of the spare bolt parts (and a complete spare bolt). If anything is going to break prematurely, it's most likely going to be something in the bolt assembly. If you pierce a primer, there's a good chance the firing pin will be damaged so you'll want to change it if pierced primers become more frequent. I've seen bolt lugs shear off during a match, so it's nice to have at least a spare bolt with good headspace for those rare unfortunate times when you need the gun up and running asap.

With all that stuff you may as well just bring two ARs.

ocabj
11-21-2007, 12:16 PM

Not really. I guess if you can guarantee that your loads work just as good in both guns, that would work. If you feel like bringing two guns with the appropriate ammo for both, then I guess that's up to you.

From what I was told, the USAMU builds their guns to shoot specific ammo, and not building the ammo to shoot out of a specific gun. If the gun won't shoot the predefined/spec'ed ammo with the expected accuracy, they work on the gun until it does. This is actually a pretty good idea. Spec out your handloads and then build your guns to shoot that ammo. This has a lot of benefits, mainly allowing the operator to use the same ammo with several guns as necessary (and for better compatibility within a team). This of course requires you to have a lot of resources (mainly money).

To me with limited finances and resources, it's simpler just to swap out bolts (and/or complete bolt carrier+assembly) in the event of a bolt failure since it will guarantee that the loads will perform the same.

If a part fails in the lower (i.e. broken hammer) then yes, definitely better to have another complete gun with the appropriate ammo. But most matches will allow you some time to fix a rifle malfunction, so being able to repair a gun given the appropriate spare parts is feasible.

Even then, you should still have all those spare parts in some sort of tool kit so you can repair your gun (at home, not just at the range or match) without having to wait a few days for the parts to come in.

tenpercentfirearms
11-21-2007, 6:31 PM
Get an "Oh Shoot" kit from me, you won't regret it.

Or all Stag LPKs should come with an extra detect pin. Did you lose two?

RP1911
11-21-2007, 6:47 PM
+1 to 10%. I bought one after frantically searching for the spring that flew across the work bench. I found it and it made a believer out of me to buy the 'Oh Shoot' kit.

PIRATE14
11-21-2007, 9:00 PM

Not really since those parts are about the space of your wallet and easy to carry............

edittman1
11-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

It was actually the select fire detent pin that goes above the spring that goes inside of the grip.

*goes to check the "Oh shoot" kit*

tenpercentfirearms
11-23-2007, 5:33 AM
The "select fire detent"? Do you have a permit for that? ;)

Oh, you mean the selector detent. :D

THE 0NE
11-23-2007, 8:00 AM
i have extra pins at the san jose gun exchange

edittman1
11-23-2007, 9:55 AM
Where's that? I'm in Campbell.

ar15barrels
11-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Where can I get another one

I'm in Campbell.

All right.
2 days and 15 posts and we finally know where you are... :rolleyes:

AJAX22
11-23-2007, 8:04 PM
Extra AR springs and detents are things everyone should have a sack of in their spare parts bin...

I try to order extra bits every time I place an order with a vendor that carries them... Although the parts do eventually turn up somewhere in the appartment if you can avoid vaccuming long enough ;)

I've rounded up a few of my early mistakes by draging a speaker magnet on a string around the appartment (well away from any computers or TV's) although this technique is about equally as effective as walking around barefoot... I've noticed that I have an almost supernatural ability to step on any small metal bit that is on the floor