PDA

View Full Version : Buddy with Land backed out - where to shoot 50? - No ranges

Nefarious
11-21-2007, 5:39 AM
Was going to take out the Bohica this friday, but my buddy - who has land to shoot on - is being a *CENSORED :D* and would rather sit at home while his wife goes out for Black Friday. It would not have been a big deal.. if we had not been planning this for over a month, and had a small group ready to go.

Due to the ammo, I cannot take them to any of the ranges. Jacumba is too small... Someone said theres a place out in Julian? But ive never heard of it.

Where can we take this beast out? Up in LA anywhere? Out East Past El Centro? Someplace we "can" shoot... not just some off the freeway place. Nevada HAHAHA .. tooooooo far

MustangO4
11-21-2007, 6:06 AM
I hope you find somewhere. If not I still plan on going out on Dec 8/9 weekend. Keep in touch and you can come along.

Nefarious
11-21-2007, 6:12 AM
I hope you find somewhere. If not I still plan on going out on Dec 8/9 weekend. Keep in touch and you can come along.

Im definitely still up for that weekend :D . I have not checked arf in a while if you had posted anything new in there.

MustangO4
11-21-2007, 6:16 AM
Yea, I generally don't chit-chat. I have a wife for that. If I have something to say I post, if not I STFU. I generally do check the board (bored??) every day though.

mrkubota
11-21-2007, 6:31 AM
The Google Earth SoCal Ranges file over at the CA hometown forum on ARFCOM shows a spot in Jacumba on BLM land. Might be worth looking into.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=236586

Nefarious
11-21-2007, 6:41 AM
The Google Earth SoCal Ranges file over at the CA hometown forum on ARFCOM shows a spot in Jacumba on BLM land. Might be worth looking into.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=236586

I typically shoot out at Jacumba, its a little too small I think for the 50 :(

ghettoshecky
11-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I typically shoot out at Jacumba, its a little too small I think for the 50 :(

you know i've shot my .50 out there plenty of times, how far do you want to go? There seems to be a lot of unexplored parts of Jacumba that might be to your liking. Also if you frequent Jacumba you should head out when Grammaton and I go. He has and 300ft tape measure and I have a range finder that I can borrow.

Nefarious
11-21-2007, 10:59 AM
you know i've shot my .50 out there plenty of times, how far do you want to go? There seems to be a lot of unexplored parts of Jacumba that might be to your liking. Also if you frequent Jacumba you should head out when Grammaton and I go. He has and 300ft tape measure and I have a range finder that I can borrow.

I have not really explored the area at all. I thought it was just that area off the road. Ive shot at the area thats all flat..I think thats about 100 yards to the hill? then further down where the hill closer... know what i mean?

what other spots are out there... does it keep going? I thought I saw a fence over there at the "end"

ghettoshecky
11-21-2007, 11:12 AM
I have not really explored the area at all. I thought it was just that area off the road. Ive shot at the area thats all flat..I think thats about 100 yards to the hill? then further down where the hill closer... know what i mean?

what other spots are out there... does it keep going? I thought I saw a fence over there at the "end"

yeah I've seen the "hill" but I usually pass it up and go further down the road to entrances to different spots. I mean Jacumba is HUGE!! It seems like if you like to go offroading there might be some promising spots. In all honesty I never went really far in myself, but one day I would like to try.

Nefarious
11-21-2007, 11:17 AM
yeah I've seen the "hill" but I usually pass it up and go further down the road to entrances to different spots. I mean Jacumba is HUGE!! It seems like if you like to go offroading there might be some promising spots. In all honesty I never went really far in myself, but one day I would like to try.

WHAT!!??!! Theres more spots after the hill? I mean Ive shot at other spots the next exit after Jacumba... but nothing long range

So instead of turning off the road to shoot at the hill... you just keep going? How much further down the road do you go? I thought the "shooting" spot.. was ... well .. the hill :)

viras
11-21-2007, 11:39 AM

I've shot in the direction of all the red arrows from the paths marked in Red with a .223 and .308 (always into the hills).

In my experience, I've noticed that a lot of folks never never go anywhere further than the red paths I've marked. At the begining of the green path, there's a break in the "road", where there are a lot of jutting, sharp rocks, and I think it intimidates a lot of folks never to venture further than that. Plus, beyond the break in the road, the incline of the hill rises sharply, so that's another factor I think.

I've gone as far as to the end of the green path (give or take a few hundred feet), and I think that area would be ideal for a .50. If you decide to try it, shoot southwest, into the hills.

BTW - you need 4WD/AWD and preferably a V8. A 2WD sedan won't work, and niether will an AWD Audi or similar AWD sedan... The rocks get hazardously big out there.

:D If you look really closely, you can spot 1 BOPO in the pic, close to where the dirt paths intersect. :D

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/552/carrizocreekep3.jpg

FYI - for those of you who don't know, this is a satellite pic of the Carrizo Creek Public Use Land in Jacumba. They have a website if you need more info and directions:

http://www.carrizocreekrange.org

Nefarious
11-21-2007, 11:48 AM
I've shot in the direction of all the red arrows from the paths marked in Red with a .223 and .308 (always into the hills).

In my experience, I've noticed that a lot of folks never never go anywhere further than the red paths I've marked. At the begining of the green path, there's a break in the "road", where there are a lot of jutting, sharp rocks, and I think it intimidates a lot of folks never to venture further than that. Plus, beyond the break in the road, the incline of the hill rises sharply, so that's another factor I think.

I've gone as far as to the end of the green path (give or take a few hundred feet), and I think that area would be ideal for a .50. If you decide to try it, shoot southwest, into the hills.

BTW - you need 4WD/AWD and preferably a V8. A 2WD sedan won't work, and niether will an AWD Audi or similar AWD sedan... The rocks get hazardously big out there.

:D If you look really closely, you can spot 1 BOPO in the pic, close to where the dirt paths intersect. :D

FYI - for those of you who don't know, this is a satellite pic of the Carrizo Creek Public Use Land in Jacumba. They have a website if you need more info and directions:

http://www.carrizocreekrange.org

Ok looking at that picture... Ive only shot at the 1st station (right at the entrance) and the 2nd station (that looks to be the spots shooting into the hill)
I did not know about that last section waaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the back. Then again I would only take my eclipse out that way, so it woudlnt make it. This time around we are loading up the trucks. That last spot that circled might be the spot to check out

viras
11-21-2007, 2:07 PM
Ok looking at that picture... Ive only shot at the 1st station (right at the entrance) and the 2nd station (that looks to be the spots shooting into the hill)
I did not know about that last section waaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the back. Then again I would only take my eclipse out that way, so it woudlnt make it. This time around we are loading up the trucks. That last spot that circled might be the spot to check out

I think you should be fine if you go all the way out to the end (in a truck of course). If you're worried about accidentally crossing into Mexico, you'll be able to see the border fence way before you come anywhere near it. Plus there are SOOOOOO many BOPO (Border Patrol) agents out there, they would never ever let you cross into Mexico - those guys are super-helpful, and I'm sure if you ask them, they will point out a great spot for you...that's how I found out about the last spot at the end.

Anyway, Happy Shooting and Happy Thanksgiving.

mike100
11-21-2007, 2:33 PM
Use Mexico as a backstop.

Nefarious
11-21-2007, 4:20 PM
I think you should be fine if you go all the way out to the end (in a truck of course). If you're worried about accidentally crossing into Mexico, you'll be able to see the border fence way before you come anywhere near it. Plus there are SOOOOOO many BOPO (Border Patrol) agents out there, they would never ever let you cross into Mexico - those guys are super-helpful, and I'm sure if you ask them, they will point out a great spot for you...that's how I found out about the last spot at the end.

Anyway, Happy Shooting and Happy Thanksgiving.

At that last spot out there... is it pretty much flat open area? or is there a small hill to be used as a backstop?

viras
11-21-2007, 9:05 PM
At that last spot out there... is it pretty much flat open area? or is there a small hill to be used as a backstop?

No, you'll still be shooting slightly uphill. The incline is much less out there though... It's probably the best you'll find at Carrizo.

wksun88
11-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Use Mexico as a backstop.

lol