Which one is the security guard?

FreedomIsNotFree
11-20-2007, 9:01 PM
Here are videos from the press conference and DC's reactions:

http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=187509
http://us.video.aol.com/?pmmsid=2027874

-Gene

Hey Gene,

Did you catch the D.C. response to the SCOTUS granting of cert.? They speak as though they have already lost....talking about "if we lose, we will re-double our efforts and study their decision..."...etc.etc.

The D.C. reaction was underneath the first video you posted.
http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=187509

FreedomIsNotFree
11-20-2007, 9:02 PM
Which one is the security guard?

The older...excuse me, more mature looking gentleman on the left side of the video.

Bizcuits
11-20-2007, 9:20 PM
The older...excuse me, more mature looking gentleman on the left side of the video.

ah ty, I thought he was the quiet one which didn't talk,

MedSpec65
11-20-2007, 9:27 PM
Is Chief Counsel's name Katania? He was the third spokesman for the DC City Council and his remarks were emblematic of the pessimism that exudes from this gaggle of loons. His despair leaves him with no option except to actually attack the SCOTUS and it's members personally for daring to have (what he obviously considers criminal) conservative views. I think he might have sealed his own fate with these remarks. Scalia, Alito, Roberts, Thomas and even Stevens will probably take offense at this childish tactic and Souter, Breyer, Kennedy and Ginsburg will not be impressed. Unless The City can produce mature non-partisan amicus spokesmen to help them proceed at the next hearing, I think they have already poisoned the water for themselves. This press conference video was a pathetic and scandalous attack on the highest court of the land. This is not the way to play the game at this level. I know Clarence Thomas is one heavy dude who has nothing but contempt for crybabies like this scumbag.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-20-2007, 9:34 PM
Yes, and the words of the mayor, as well as some of the other polliticians, addressed "the will of the people of D.C.".....that the majority of people want these laws....regardless of their constitutionality.

Would those same polliticians, those that support "the will of the people", agree that we should NOT have had desegregation? I mean, there were some locations in the south that clearly, by a vast majority of the people, didn't want to desegregate. Would the black mayor and his cohorts agree that segregation, although unconstitutional, should have been the law of the land?

Ahhh heck....see what happens when you use logic on issues that are inherently illogical?

aileron
11-20-2007, 9:42 PM
Opponents to the gun ban, get 2:43 seconds.

Proponents to the gun ban, get 7:57 seconds.

The press never changes.

JawBone
11-20-2007, 9:48 PM
That DC press conference was bizarre. Did they just tape that so they could re-run it in June? It sounds like appellants' remorse is setting in.

gazzavc
11-20-2007, 9:48 PM
I would love to see a referendum in DC to find out just how many people are "in support" of this handgun ban that they are talking about?

I cannot believe there are that many people living there that really believe they are safer with their firearms banned.

Gaz

FreedomIsNotFree
11-20-2007, 10:01 PM
I would love to see a referendum in DC to find out just how many people are "in support" of this handgun ban that they are talking about?

I cannot believe there are that many people living there that really believe they are safer with their firearms banned.

Gaz

Well, they never had an outright vote. Never any sort of referendum. See, the polliticians think they know whats best for the people....and when they, again the polliticians, from their high and mighty horses, decide that guns are bad...well, then it MUST be the will of the people...why else would the people put them there to make those decisions...? :rolleyes:

kap
11-20-2007, 10:33 PM
From the D.C. response ...

... "1432 handguns used in homicides in D.C."
... "4 of 5 homicides are committed with gunshot"
... "for juveniles, 3 out of 4 homicides are by shooting"
... "in the past 6 years 86 juveniles have been killed by gunfire"
... "almost half of all robberies in D.C. are committed by persons with handguns"
... "again this is unacceptable and we continue our efforts to curtail this proliferation of gun violence".

How do these numbers convince anyone that the gun ban works when criminals are committing crimes with the very thing that is banned. After 30 years in effect, I would say that is a definition of something that does not work.

They should be able to speak to the success of the gun ban and how it lowered the crime rate. Sad that they can not do this yet come out in the bans defense.

jdberger
11-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Yay! Hooray for us. It's been a long time coming.

And it's nice to see the folks in DC squirm.

Scarecrow Repair
11-20-2007, 10:45 PM
They should be able to speak to the success of the gun ban and how it lowered the crime rate. Sad that they can not do this yet come out in the bans defense.

They do. They say crime would have been worse without the gun ban.

hoffmang
11-20-2007, 10:47 PM
If it got much worse, maybe we'd lose a few congressmen and senators... Would that be all that bad?

-Gene

M. Sage
11-21-2007, 4:58 AM
Here's the DC reaction.
http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=187509#videoid=187510

Wow, Fenty doesn't sound terribly intelligent... Durham less so. "Dees are da type-a weapons..." Jeez, guy.

ETA: What the hell is wrong with the second councilman? "...an attorney general who will defend our rights..." How can the government have a right!?

RRangel
11-21-2007, 3:40 PM
There was a totally different contrast in attitudes between the two video's. I'm glad our side was up beat. The mayor, his administrators, and chief are pathetic. I'm not surprised at their liberal elitist attitude toward the general public defending themselves. They are acting like nothing more than tyrants. These people will say and do anything that furthers their careers and agenda regardless if it makes sense or not. I guess they feel that if they keep repeating the lie it'll stick. I'm glad they're squirming.

It's really disgusting how these administrators can go up there and point fingers at the court, and mock the 2nd amendment. Then again DC has a reputation for electing jackasses.

daskraut
11-21-2007, 5:09 PM
will somebody think of the childrens!!!!!(snicker)

wilit
11-21-2007, 8:33 PM
Anyone else notice that Heller is originally from Manteca? How awesome will it be when a CALIFORNIAN is the one that will forever be remembered as the one who fought for an entire nation's RKBA.

Ak47owner
11-22-2007, 11:19 AM
will this help us in the state of california? or is this only going to help people in washington dc

hoffmang
11-22-2007, 7:01 PM
Gura is from the Los Angeles area originally too. Lots of California ties in this case.

-Gene

JALLEN
11-22-2007, 7:16 PM
will this help us in the state of california? or is this only going to help people in washington dc

If it comes out the way it can, it will help the entire country recover Constitutionally protected rights too long denied, especially for those of us in States and Cities that have been more restrictive. Texans, Floridians, etc. might not even notice.

Just how the decision and opinions will sort themselves out is anyones guess, and plenty of guessing is going on and will go on until Judgment Day.

Out of court attacks, personal criticisms, etc., on the Court, or the members, will be unnoticed and have no effect. The Justices are used to it and very thick-skinned, as they have to be. It is also recognized as mere emotionalizing for one's supporters, nothing whatsoever to do with the merits. Now, if the argument should be made that "we should win because you guys (and gal) are a bunch of hopeless morons," well, that wouldn't be too persuasive, would it!