PDA

View Full Version : Carrying to/from range

tmodesto
11-20-2007, 7:54 PM
Hi every one, I read through all laws I could find and all forums, basically my questions is : If unloaded gun be LOCKED (cable lock or trigger ) inside a container which is padlocked, inside a range bag and in same bag I have ammo, and range bag be in car trunk (or back of SUV) traveling to/from range is that OK?

the way I read the law and forums, law is very gray - thanks

CalNRA
11-20-2007, 7:59 PM
yes.

you actually don't need to cable/trigger lock on the gun if the unloaded gun is in its own padlocked container.

tmodesto
11-20-2007, 8:12 PM
yes.

you actually don't need to cable/trigger lock on the gun if the unloaded gun is in its own padlocked container.

thanks even I have live ammo in my range bag? The reason I am asking is because of this:

"For the purposes of Penal Code section 12023 (commission or attempted commission of a felony while armed with a loaded firearm), a firearm is deemed loaded when both the firearm and the unexpended ammunition capable of being discharged from the firearm are in the immediate
possession of the same person."

C.G.
11-20-2007, 8:34 PM
I thought you said you were going to/from the range. You didn't say anything about holding up a bank on the way.:eek:

1911_sfca
11-20-2007, 10:22 PM
There is nothing grey about it. If you are going to, or coming from, a range, as your original question stated, your guns are perfectly legal when they are kept in the condition that you described.

If, however, you commit or attempt to commit a felony, your guns will not be OK, they will be considered loaded, and you can be charged with 12023 PC.

tmodesto
11-20-2007, 10:30 PM
There is nothing grey about it. If you are going to, or coming from, a range, as your original question stated, your guns are perfectly legal when they are kept in the condition that you described.

If, however, you commit or attempt to commit a felony, your guns will not be OK, they will be considered loaded, and you can be charged with 12023 PC.

Well what is the proof if I am in my way to range? Also, law says trunk and I have SUV what will be considered as trunk in SUV (if any)

Nuuze
11-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Most ranges I been to require you sign in. Maybe they call the range masters of the range you say you went to if you get pulled over.

Hunter
11-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Well what is the proof if I am in my way to range? Also, law says trunk and I have SUV what will be considered as trunk in SUV (if any)

If the handgun is locked in a case, then it can be on the front seat if you desire. There is no need for a trunk in that case. On the otherhand if you didn't lock the handgun in a case, you could toss it in the trunk of the vehicle (if one is present which there isn't on most SUVs) and be legal as well. No need to do both.

spencerhut
11-21-2007, 9:41 AM
This is the thing that pushed me over the CCW line, driving to and from shooting events with a car full of pistols, rifles, and shotguns. I was terrified I'd get pulled over for speeding or something and next thing you know, I didn't lock something properly or some other minor BS that is innocent on my part, but a crime according to the P.R.K. That or having a flat tire and being out in the middle of know where changing it by the side of to road with 9 guns in the car all nice and legally locked since I'm a good subject of the PRK and I get robbed or worse. Eee gad how would that feel? Car full of guns and ammo and you get robbed or murdered? For me it's the stuff of nightmares and why my wife and I now CCW 24x7x365.

MudCamper
11-21-2007, 10:03 AM
My carry flyer:

http://www.paul.net/guns/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

covers transport as well.

Glock22Fan
11-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Gosh, what an original query.

This question (and many others almost the same) has been answered ad nauseum on this site (and others).

Do a search.

Glock22Fan
11-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Get a CCW, then you don't have to worry.

I guess this poster doesn't live in L.A. County. And, even if you do have a CCW, it only covers the firearms listed on it - usually a maximum of three.

Liberty1
11-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Well, what is the proof if I am on my way to range?

This is the best question I've seen in a while! Since PC 12025 criminalizes all concealed carry first and then exempts certain activities (with License to Carry, 830 pc status, or in a locked container) and places (in the home, etc...) it is on us to prove our innocence to the officer who has discovered the firearm.

Repeal 12025!

Mudcamper's pamphlet: http://www.paul.net/guns/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf is the best two sheet to understand these codes. For example you may keep the unloaded pistol and loaded mags, not in the mag well, in a quick open safe on your lap or passenger seat as you drive to the range. Most people (sans license to carry) don't load the mags until they're at the range and keep the unloaded pistol in a locked case in the trunk or rear portion of an SUV. Both methods are no crime.

tmodesto
11-24-2007, 7:52 PM
This is the best question I've seen in a while! Since PC 12025 criminalizes all concealed carry first and then exempts certain activities (with License to Carry, 830 pc status, or in a locked container) and places (in the home, etc...) it is on us to prove our innocence to the officer who has discovered the firearm.

So basicaly if you carrying any firearm regardless of condition: locked, in trunk, unloaded ,no ammo in car at all; burden of proof on you and you are at mercy of the officer, and can be getting arested?????:eek:

tmodesto
11-24-2007, 8:08 PM
Gosh, what an original query.

This question (and many others almost the same) has been answered ad nauseum on this site (and others).

Do a search.

Well I did search and found law of carrying in vehicle very subjective (to and from a specific place for a legitimite reason otherwise crime!) that's why I start worrying! like many of us here we have gun mostly for fun of shooting and don;t want to spend a night at jail just for mis-intrepretation of the law by an officer! Based on what I understand so far burden of proof is on me that in case I was stopped for a simple traffic ticket and I had a gun in my car (even locked) that I am going to range NOT to rob a bank!!!! especialy if you drive through specific neighbourhood!!! That's make it unpleasent for Californian to have shooting as hobby or sport; it'w not worth the hassle.

Greg-Dawg
11-24-2007, 10:18 PM
I have a Nissan Xterra and keep my locked gun case in the back with the tarp covering anyone from looking what I have in the back.

Lastly, if you get pulled over for any reason just remember the 4th Amendment.

tmodesto
11-24-2007, 10:29 PM
I have a Nissan Xterra and keep my locked gun case in the back with the tarp covering anyone from looking what I have in the back.

Lastly, if you get pulled over for any reason just remember the 4th Amendment.

Thanx Greg, I was carrying my range bage with 2 pistols (locked) and ammos for many years and knock the wood nothing happened BUT when you read the law throughly ALL of us somehow CAN be in violation of Califonia codes and sepnd a night in jail. What I understool from Cali law is prevent you as much as possible from having gun. There should be a black and white condition in law that if I am being pulled there is not difference between my legal gun and can of coke.

bwiese
11-25-2007, 1:06 AM
This is why there's no such thing in CA as a 'truck gun' handgun.

Transport your handguns locked & unloaded to/from authorized destinations (home, range, gunshop/gunsmith, out of state location, house of a friend who wants to see the gun, etc.)

If you need a 'truck gun', use an 870, lever gun, etc.

Never lie to a cop, and it's best not to answer questions if avoidable - however, the above locations do help formulate good responses. A change of clothes in a bag could well, for example, indicate you're going to Reno - a perfectly legitimate destination for you and your handgun.

milsurpshooter
11-25-2007, 1:13 AM
what is best gun? me need gun for to get foody.