PDA

View Full Version : Recipe on how to build a CA legal AR

kgelhaus
11-20-2007, 7:01 PM
Hello, I am in the market for a Ca legal AR. I want a 16 inch barrel with a top that has the abality to shoot open sights or take on and off a scope with resighting the gun everytime. Lightness is important. I have been told by a couple of people about buying a lower from Stag and doing the rest on my own. My problem is I don't have the budget to do this wrong the first time. .223 . Any and all tips would be awesome. Thank you very much.

kbgsld@sbcglobal.net

951-453-2180
Riverside CA

shark92651
11-20-2007, 7:13 PM
Why do you assume you will do it wrong? I have only read a few threads where someone screwed up building their lower. The most common problem is bending one of the "ears" when inserting the roll pin for the trigger guard (easily avoidable if you make sure to insert the trigger guard first and use the simple "vice-grips" method to squeeze in the pin) and the other thread I read about was a guy dry-firing his lower without the upper installed and he broke off the bolt catch. As long as you don't do anything dumb you should have 100% success, even on your first build.

This thread should show you how easy it is:
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

oh, and I would suggest you not list your email address and phone number right on your post or signature like that. Spammers are probably adding you to their lists right this moment :)

davedog665
11-20-2007, 10:17 PM
use the search button man there is a huge faq page. for new guys yes you will and shall get flamed for this thread you have to understand the amount of people that start a smilar thread a day alone.

Prc329
11-20-2007, 10:19 PM
I never understood why someone would post there phone number in a public forum.

NORCALWRECKCHASER
11-20-2007, 10:33 PM
I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I had an OLL and a bunch of parts. So i got a "How to build a legal AR-15" book. read it over layed out all my parts and identified them and started with step 1. 2 hours later I had a RRA M4 with a bullet button in my hands. It was much easier than I expected. You will need a few tools. A gunsmths hammer and punch set, a flat screw driver or allen key for the grip, a pair of channel locks (duct tape the jaws so you dnt scratch the reciever) and telescoping stock wrench if you go that route. I just built my buddy's last weekend in less than 45 mins. if you built models as a kid you should have no problems. I went to the link listed by shark92651 above as well. just take your time with the trigger guard "ears" and keep an eye on the detent springs at the pivot pin and Fire/Safe selector and you'll be in good shape Good Luck:D

tenpercentfirearms
11-21-2007, 5:50 AM
You won't be able to order a lower straight from Stag. You are going to have to get it from somewhere else as Stag won't send lowers straight in.

I do have Stags in stock and if you want me to put one together and ship it for you, I don't charge anything for assembly.

I also have Gunrunners in Duarte on file now.