PDA

View Full Version : Question about .22-marked receivers

DoctorCheney223
11-20-2007, 2:51 PM
If I get AK or AR15 receivers that that are listed as .22lr and use conversion kits to build them up, do I have to modify the receiver in anyway (mag lock)? I know that a .223 or 7.62 round will not fit into the chamber but I am just curious.

thanks,
Ron

DedEye
11-20-2007, 3:06 PM
The markings on the lower AR receiver have no impact on what caliber you can build it up to become. Once built into a .22 with a .22 barrel (or any other rimfire caliber), no mag lock is needed. Evil features and detachable mags are good to go on rimfire calibers; AW laws only apply to centerfire rounds.

Faust
11-20-2007, 4:53 PM
Doc, that is the same question I have but I have not found reliable info on the issue; I would like to build an AR with a dedicated 22LR upper but I have a feeling that having the ability to convert to a centerfire without the use of tools(swaping uppers) regardless of receiver markings will land me in trouble with the man.

Deadeye
"The markings on the lower AR receiver have no impact on what caliber you can build it up to become. Once built into a .22 with a .22 barrel (or any other rimfire caliber), no mag lock is needed. Evil features and detachable mags are good to go on rimfire calibers; AW laws only apply to centerfire rounds." CAn you elaborate on this? By this logic, we should be able to buy OLL complete since they do lack the upper receiver and a definite caliber configuration,wether it is semi or bolt, rimfire or centerfire.
Thanks.
F.

GTKrockeTT
11-20-2007, 5:02 PM
Doc, that is the same question I have but I have not found reliable info on the issue; I would like to build an AR with a dedicated 22LR upper but I have a feeling that having the ability to convert to a centerfire without the use of tools(swaping uppers) regardless of receiver markings will land me in trouble with the man.
F.

You can always get the KNS Precision pivot pin sling mount stud. Screw it down tight with some Locktite, and there's no way you remove it with just your fingers. You'll need a tool.

http://pkfirearms.com/images/item_images/item_405_1_lg.jpg

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1720/img3093mediumsl6.jpg

Fjold
11-20-2007, 5:28 PM
If you have it built as a 22 rimfire whether or not the lower is stamped that way and you are still worried about getting in trouble then there is probably nothing that will make you feel better.

Built as a rimfire you are exempt from all the AW restrictions except magazine capacity, if you don't own pre-(CA) ban magazines. If that is not enough reason there's probably nothing else that anyone can say that will change it for you.

bwiese
11-20-2007, 5:34 PM
DedEye and Fjold have it right.

What the lower is marked (other than perhaps 50BMG adding some color) is irrelevant.

How the rifle is currently configured is what matters.

What the rifle could be modified to, is irrelevant as constructive possession doesn't apply to AW matters in CA.

Bottom line: a rimfire rifle built on an AR receiver can have all evil features (except for grenade launchers, which are intrinsically illegal).

4 Brigada
11-20-2007, 5:54 PM
How the rifle is currently configured is what matters.

So a centerfire barreled rifle using a conversion can have the evil features. Since it can not fire a .223 in that configuration. Only when its converted back to a centerfire those features turn evil again.

DoctorCheney223
11-20-2007, 5:57 PM
DedEye and Fjold have it right.

What the rifle could be modified to, is irrelevant as constructive possession doesn't apply to AW matters in CA.

That was my concern Bill. I wasn't aware that constructive possession isn't a consideration in California.

thanks,
Ron

Faust
11-20-2007, 6:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback gents, I see what your getting at and I as a reazonable person agree and share your Opinions, after all this I guess what I really would like to know is how these arguments hold up with the DOJ.
thanks and sorry for the hijack Doc.
F.