PDA

View Full Version : tommy gun

5150-417
11-20-2007, 9:21 AM
has anyone tried the tommy gun from mertroshot? How long does it take to remove the magazine and what tool do you use?

Josh3239
11-20-2007, 12:27 PM
You cannot remove the magazine legally on MetroShot's Tommy Guns. There is a screw that stops the release from being actuated. If the screw is removed, the release is free to be actuated creating an Assault weapon.

The difference between a bullet button style release and a magazine lock such as this is that once this type of magazine lock is taken out the release is free to move. The usage of a tool comes before the magazine is released. In the case of the bullet button, the bullet or tool is directly the cause for the magazine coming out. On top of that, the lock is never removed truly. More like disabled while the tool is pushing the button. The moment the tool stops pushing the button the lock is enabled once again.

saki302
11-22-2007, 2:40 AM
Assuming we're talking about an M1A1 pattern Tommy, you could legally remove the mag, but you woul dHAVE TO remove the pistol grip FIRST. There are no other Aw features on the M1.

I'm hoping to see an 'MMG' for the thompsons sometime soon.

-Dave

5150-417
11-22-2007, 9:10 AM
Assuming we're talking about an M1A1 pattern Tommy, you could legally remove the mag, but you woul dHAVE TO remove the pistol grip FIRST. There are no other Aw features on the M1.

I'm hoping to see an 'MMG' for the thompsons sometime soon.

-Dave

Well in that case i think i will waite.

jandmtv
11-22-2007, 11:23 AM
im sorry, but all of you are wrong. the tommy guns at metroshot have the spring for the mag release removed, so you can take out the screw and remove the mag, and when you put the mag back in you have to put the screw back in or els the mag will fall out since the spring isnt there to engadge the mag lock, thats what makes it legal, without the screw, the mag will not stay in, hence its a fixed mag gun.

bigthaiboy
11-22-2007, 12:31 PM
im sorry, but all of you are wrong. the tommy guns at metroshot have the spring for the mag release removed, so you can take out the screw and remove the mag, and when you put the mag back in you have to put the screw back in or els the mag will fall out since the spring isnt there to engadge the mag lock, thats what makes it legal, without the screw, the mag will not stay in, hence its a fixed mag gun.

This issue has been covered with AR and Prince50 mag locks, as without the spring and the screw lock unlocked, the mag will drop out. The magazine can still be held in place with the left hand and fired and then detached without the use of a tool. Sound ridiculous I know, but try to convice a DA otherwise.

Josh3239
11-22-2007, 1:27 PM
Exactly, if you can fire a rifle by holding the magazine in and when you stop holding it in and the mag drops that is going to be pretty hard to argue it wasn't attached. In which case it would be considered attached, if you removed your hand you are now detaching the magazine without the use of a tool.

As BigThaiBoy said, try to convince LEO and a DA otherwise.

Sal
11-22-2007, 1:40 PM
and the thompson ESPECIALLY is bad in this respect as the mags slide into a rail on the receiver, both the drum and the stick mags.

If you run a drum they are held in when the bolt is forward, and i dont see them falling out without a mag catch during normal shooting anyway.

The stick mags i've seen usually are pretty tight in the rail they slide into, and would usually not come out without a tug on them, i'd be REALLY careful with these.

I myself have a design for a bullet button that will work, i just havent had a gun to prototype it on(i did, but i needed to drill into the grip and the owner didnt want that)

I also made a wood monsterman in the shape of the original grip, only with the wing off the back.

jandmtv
11-22-2007, 2:13 PM
ive never owned a tommy gun, but am tempted to buy one just because of the looks and the history of it. can the drum mag be loaded while is in the gun?

ecounter
12-05-2007, 11:54 AM
There is a way to make a bullet button for the Tommy from an AR buffer Detent and Buffer Detent Spring.

The mag release has a hole in it already, so:

1. Drill a hole in the wood grip that accomidates the Buffer Detent and spring that is center with the mag release hole when the grip is on.

2. Cut the Detent and spring down by about half the length and then before screwing the pistol grip all the way down insert the detent and spring into the hole holding it all the way down with a screwdriver so the mag release that is over the wood grip will slip over the top of the detent until it pops up in the hole of the release then tighten up the pistol grip.

3. The mag release will be over the compressed detent and when everything is tightened you need a tool to depress the detent that is sticking up in the mag release hole down so the mag release can be activated.

Simple, totally hidden in the grip and takes about 20 minutes to do and 2 AR15 parts.

saki302
12-05-2007, 1:21 PM
That's a pretty smart idea- only problem for M1s is I don't think a 10 round stick mag exists... with the right tooling it might not be too hard to make one from a 30 or 20rder though, just set a rivet or two to limit follower travel.

-Dave

scubamark13
12-05-2007, 2:23 PM
Check out this link to my Tommy Gun.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=76629&highlight=thompson+1927-a1

Sal I think I met you at the last show in Del Mar. I am still looking forward to your bullet button design.

Guys if you want I have the pattern for a fin grip in CAD (computer aided design.) I will give it to you and you can have your local machine shop machine it.

Tommy guns are AWESOME.

FEDUPWBS
12-08-2007, 4:45 PM
OK heres mine just scored it on a trade ist inbound w/ both PG and buttstock removed for import need to build a mm type grip for it. I would appreciate any help on patterns for the grip.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/fedupwbs/DSCN26351.jpg

Josh3239
12-08-2007, 8:13 PM
That's a pretty smart idea- only problem for M1s is I don't think a 10 round stick mag exists... with the right tooling it might not be too hard to make one from a 30 or 20rder though, just set a rivet or two to limit follower travel.

-Dave

I think MetroShot had AO make custom 10rd drums and stick mags. Someone should check if they still have them in stock or if AO could do some more.

With that said, when I was visiting family in Arizona I got a chance to see my cousin's gun collection. He happend to have a tommy gun with a 50 round drum. I'll say this, I definetly wouldn't want to carry that thing plus 50 rounds of 45ACP. I am about 5'6 and 150, that thing is gigantic for me. :(

RossRinSD
12-08-2007, 8:53 PM
Any FFL's in San Diego do these. I could ask my AR FFL about it, but I just don't like dealing with those God's on the other side of the counter....:rolleyes:

scubamark13
12-10-2007, 8:03 AM
I wasn't able to find one in San Diego to do mine. I had to drive up to Ades in Orange county he is a great guy to work with.

Here is the picture of my fin grip
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/scubamark13/TOMMY%20GUN/mmg-13.jpg

Good Luck