PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Cases

emc002
11-20-2007, 8:00 AM
Perhaps my Google-Fu is weak, but I searched through Natchez and Midway and didn't find what I was looking for. (Could only find plastic cases).

Anybody know where I can find a steel/aluminum gun case, with solid foam (not egg crate!) suitable to cut out for a specific rifle? It only needs to be about 40" (the rifle is 36" overall length).

Paratus et Vigilans
11-20-2007, 8:14 AM
Tried Cabela's? They've got a fair selection plus their own name brand.

Google Fu??? :)

ivanimal
11-20-2007, 8:23 AM
http://www.caseplaceusa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=53&cat=StormCase+Rifle

http://www.caseplaceusa.com/productimages/im3100.jpg

This fits your description for a cut out case.

ocabj
11-20-2007, 8:28 AM
http://www.kalispelcaseline.com/

Creedmoor Sports in Oceanside sells Kalispel cases.

SemiAutoSam
11-20-2007, 8:33 AM
Zero-Halliburton makes some excellent rifle cases out of aluminum.

I have 3 of them and then also have the double rifle Pelican cases.

You cant beat the warranty on a Pelican case.
I took one on a trip once with 2 very expensive rifles and the corner was broken out. Not only did pelican send me a new case but the airline also paid for replacement of the case.

YES this means I received 2 cases for the distruiction of one.

Perhaps my Google-Fu is weak, but I searched through Natchez and Midway and didn't find what I was looking for. (Could only find plastic cases).

Anybody know where I can find a steel/aluminum gun case, with solid foam (not egg crate!) suitable to cut out for a specific rifle? It only needs to be about 40" (the rifle is 36" overall length).

ar15barrels
11-20-2007, 9:53 AM
I received 2 cases for the distruiction of one.

But does it slice and dice?
Will you paint any car for 29.25?

Rob P.
11-20-2007, 10:01 AM
But does it slice and dice?
Will you paint any car for 29.25?

Probably only makes julienne fries. :p

A lot of the sporting good stores have hard cases on sale this weekend. Big 5 and Turners.

Fjold
11-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Google Fu??? :)

The mysterious Asian art of typing in the correct input into the Google search engine to get the desired result.

tdo315
11-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Probably only makes julienne fries. :p

A lot of the sporting good stores have hard cases on sale this weekend. Big 5 and Turners.

Stay away from the plastic big 5 cases, they are junk. If you want to lock it you need three separate locks to keep it secure. Also, the foam falls out unless you use some 3m spray glue to hold it in and even then it likes to move around.

Prc329
11-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Why steel or Aluminum or steel? Pelican and Storm cases are probably the best out there and made of some hardcore plastic. SKB makes some really good cases as well.

ocabj
11-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Why steel or Aluminum or steel? Pelican and Storm cases are probably the best out there and made of some hardcore plastic. SKB makes some really good cases as well.

The Kalispel aluminum cases are better for those who want a slim profile and light hard case. While the Pelican, Storm, and Starlight cases are definitely more rugged and weatherproof, they are bulky and heavy.

I stick with soft cases for regular range use. The hard cases for long trips. If I had a Kalispel, I may feel inclined to use it for regular range use, but since I am comfortable locking the zippers on my soft case and keeping that case in the cabin (CA Assault Weapon), I never felt the need to get a Kalispel.

emc002
11-20-2007, 10:50 AM

Initial bias, but after reading up on Pelicans, well, I think I'll get the 1720 AND the 1750!

Prc329
11-20-2007, 11:08 AM
I have a nice drag bag as well as my gunslinger for range use but I do have an SKB and Pelican case for travel.

MudCamper
11-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Big, heavy, and expensive, but really nice:

http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1720.html

And that's the best price on Pelicans that I've seen.

SemiAutoSam
11-20-2007, 12:09 PM
If you think the Pelican cases are expensive you haven't priced the Zero/Halliburton cases 350-500 each from memory of the last one I bought.

Big, heavy, and expensive, but really nice:

http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1720.html

And that's the best price on Pelicans that I've seen.

tdo315
11-20-2007, 5:02 PM

+1 on the SKB

sloguy
11-20-2007, 5:09 PM
i like the aluminum plano cases. i have a aluminum one of those. nicest case i own. too bad it doesnt fit in my truck very easy( i have a compact suv)

Grakken
11-20-2007, 5:17 PM
Since you like the Pelican's now, I would also give a goodlook to Storm Cases. I have a 3200 and it is nice. I like the latches a little better on the storm than the Pelican but both are quality cases. I gave a linky....

http://www.stormcase.com/StormSizeList.htm

toolman9000
11-20-2007, 5:25 PM
-100 on SKB

All of the vacuumed formed (HDPE shell with aluminum valance) gun cases are now made in CHINA, they do not support the American Sportsman or Shooting Sports Enthusiast. They are a music case company owned by a couple of hippies that only came into the gun case market because they could easily put foam in a keyboard case, and they got a couple US government contracts in the 1980's making cases for the Afgan/Russian wars. Free money...

They do not care about your 2A rights, they only want your $ that is not mostly going to commie china.

If you want the best case buy a Pelican, they are 100% US made and they support NSSF, Law Enforcement and our Military.

SKB "was" okay back in the day, but with age comes greed and the ship is going down in SKB land. beware.

Socal858
11-20-2007, 5:42 PM
love my pelican 1720

bought it from gt distributors (gtdist.com? i dont remember)

tdo315
11-20-2007, 11:03 PM
-100 on SKB

All of the vacuumed formed (HDPE shell with aluminum valance) gun cases are now made in CHINA, they do not support the American Sportsman or Shooting Sports Enthusiast. They are a music case company owned by a couple of hippies that only came into the gun case market because they could easily put foam in a keyboard case, and they got a couple US government contracts in the 1980's making cases for the Afgan/Russian wars. Free money...

They do not care about your 2A rights, they only want your $ that is not mostly going to commie china.

If you want the best case buy a Pelican, they are 100% US made and they support NSSF, Law Enforcement and our Military.

SKB "was" okay back in the day, but with age comes greed and the ship is going down in SKB land. beware.

Have something to back this claim up with? I really like these cases but I am not into sending money to red china. I knew they also made music cases but as far as I knew, they made them all down at their HQ in Orange County.

mason1800
11-20-2007, 11:18 PM
I like to look a little more discrete coming out of the house. I take my AK47 and a few other rifles out on thess...everyone thinks in going to the park.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z257/mason1800/IMG_0145.jpg

tdo315
11-20-2007, 11:34 PM
I like to look a little more discrete coming out of the house. I take my AK47 and a few other rifles out on thess...everyone thinks in going to the park.

Thats not a bad idea. You should see the looks i get on Saturday mornings when I am loading the truck to head to the range. 3-4 OD green drag bags and a bunch of ammo cans all while the neighbors across the street are walking the poodle. LOL

eguns-com
11-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Disclaimer: I sell Starlight Cases

True Story: I was at a Gun Show several years back selling stuff. I had some of the smaller Starlight Cases on display. Guy and his buddy come up. They stand there a bit looking at the cases. Guy turns to his buddy and says that in his opinion, the Starlight Cases are the best cases for the money. He then explains why. The company he works for sends a lot of techs out on the road (and airlines). They have some sort of electronic gear they transport around. They have an assortment of Pelican cases and some Starlight Cases. He said that 30% of their Pelican cases have to go back for warranty work/repair/replacement every year. (They do have a good warranty). The gentleman then turned to his buddy and said: they have never had to send a Starlight Case back for any sort of repair, replacement, etc.

I am not an expert, but the Hardigg Storm [however you spell it] cases and the Starlight Cases are the best non metal cases on the market. The Starlight Cases are wicked rugged, but they are heavy. I would like to pick up Hardigg and will chat with them at the SHOT Show this coming Feb.

Btw, I got an order from a USMC unit tonight for 8 double rifle Starlight Cases. The address is an FPO so I assume they are in the sandbox or in Afghanistan.

Chad

eguns-com
11-21-2007, 12:13 AM

I use soft guitar gig bags to transport my ARs and stuff when I leave the house. Just looks like I am going off to a jam.

mason1800
11-21-2007, 12:40 AM
I know the looks. I live across the street from a church!

ar15barrels
11-21-2007, 1:00 AM
You should see the looks i get on Saturday mornings when I am loading the truck to head to the range. 3-4 OD green drag bags and a bunch of ammo cans all while the neighbors across the street are walking the poodle. LOL

Y'all need to get better neighbors.
When I'm carrying the drag bags and ammo cans out, my neighbors come over and ask what guns I'm taking today and if they can come along. :D