PDA

View Full Version : Henry Survival Rifle Bolt Removal

bigthaiboy
11-19-2007, 11:47 PM
I recently purchased a Henrys U.S. Survival .22LR rifle. Problem is when Henry Repeating Arms bought the license for the AR-7 from Charter Arms and made modifications to improve the rifle, they also beefed up the action springs, so that the rifle could not be used to fire subsonic ammo. Apparently, the story goes that the AR-7 was the recommended rifle in Paladin Press's controversial banned book, "Hit Man: A Technical Manual for Independent Contractors". Henry was keen to distance their new rifle from the assassin's image, so beefed up the springs, to avoid any possible legal problems.

As a result, the Henry Survival is picky on it's ammo, prefer hotter loads, but I have aquired a set of AR-7 lighter action springs, so hopefully the rifle can now cycle any bulk ammo I put through it. Problem is, I cannot remove the bolt to replace the two action springs.

Does anyone who owns, or has owned a Henry or an AR-7 know how to remove the bolt? I'm pretty sure it is the cocking handle that is keeping the whole bolt carrier in the receiver, but cannot figure out how it comes out.

Thank you.

m24armorer
11-19-2007, 11:55 PM
It's still just a story, read your owners manual for takedown.

Banned book, I don't think so.

bigthaiboy
11-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Thank you for the pearl of wisdom. I have read the owner's manual which only explains how to remove the stock and the barrel. Nothing else. I have also read through an old Charter Arms AR-7 owner's manual which only gives the same info.

Story on the book : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_Man:_A_Technical_Manual_for_Independent_Contra ctors

] Under this forced-settlement, Paladin (via their insurance policy coverage) paid several million dollars to the families of those killed by the murderer, while also agreeing to destroy the remaining 700 copies of the book in their possession and surrendereing any rights they had to publish and reproduce the work.

m24armorer
11-20-2007, 12:27 AM
It still is not a banned book, and as for the pearl of wisdom.

Find it for yourself, I was trying to help you but you seem to have it all figured out.

BTW, Paladin press sold a bunch, and for that matter R.K. Brown suffered a suit in the 80's in a SOF merc ad.

Bobula
11-20-2007, 12:32 AM
PM me, I'll look in my owners manual

bigthaiboy
11-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Sorry, I don't see how saying "read your owners manual for takedown" is helping. If everybody replied with "read your owner's manual" to every technically related question posted on Calgun, this forum would not be terribly helpful.

m24armorer
11-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Gee, try this.

Remove the barrel.
Let the bolt go forward till it stops.
Remove the handle (pulls out).
Now take your finger and push the bolt forward out of the receiver.

My original Armalite is in my lap.
It works the same as your clone.

Roo
11-20-2007, 1:16 AM
If everyone replied with 'read your owners manual' instead of actually answering the question at hand this forum would be pointless and useless. If your response in post #7 would have been your first response and had a little less attitude you may have proved your usefulness around here. Instead of attacking a member maybe just politely answer his question instead of offending him.

Sorry John I do not know the answer to your question but I enjoyed shooting the Henry!

And I looked over the user manual. It is about as useful as a roll of toilet paper in maintaining the rifle.

bigthaiboy
11-20-2007, 1:55 AM
Thank you M24armorer

I finally got the cocking pin out with a little persuasion from pliers. It was in very tight. I was afraid to force it off as I didn't know how or if it was fixed to the bolt. I replaced the springs, so hopefully the lighter AR-7 springs will cycle more brands of .22 ammo.

I apologise for the earlier sarcastic remark.

maxicon
11-20-2007, 10:26 AM
I've shot a variety of AR7s over the years, and have never seen one that wasn't picky about ammo and generally unreliable.

I know some people have good luck with them, and I've heard reports about reliable ones, but have never seen them.

Looking forward to your report with new springs!

bigthaiboy
11-20-2007, 8:55 PM
Looking forward to your report with new springs!

Will do. I've read that Henry made some improvements to the AR-7 design after aquiring the license from Charter Arms, including a modified magazine (Henrys cannot use older R-7 magazines). First time I took the Henry to the range, I took a brick of Winchester Xpert, and the Henry would not cycle a single round. Borrowed some CCI from a friend and it shot reliably, although sometimes refused to feed the last round in the magazine, but I put that down to the brand new magazine lips needing some tweaking.

Since CCI Blazer .22LR is on sale at Big 5 for $12.99 for a 525rds brick this week, I picked up three boxes, since I know the Henry works fine on those. Plan to try some Remington Golden Bullet .22's and the Winchester Xpert at the range this week.

bohoki
11-20-2007, 9:27 PM
in order to take the bolt out of my ar-7 i must remove barrel/magazine, dry fire it,unscrew sideplate,remove ejector,insert finger where barrel goes depress boltface jiggle out the bolt handle
then the bolt with the springs comes out

but that is just me

M. Sage
11-21-2007, 5:24 AM
Borrowed some CCI from a friend and it shot reliably, although sometimes refused to feed the last round in the magazine, but I put that down to the brand new magazine lips needing some tweaking.

That sounds more like a weak magazine spring to me.

AJAX22
11-21-2007, 8:48 AM
I currently own three AR7's, two charter arms guns, and one AR7 industries.

I've used the original armalite guns as well, and I used to own a henry.

Of all of them the worst was the henry.

I don't want to get into all the problems that I had, but they were considerable. the henry adaptation of the design lends itself to some rather serious malfunctions. including cracking receivers, breachface damage, and horrible reliability issues with most ammo.

The AR7 industries model is IMHO the best version currently available.

If you do get the henry dialed in, please post what it took to make it reliable, It would be nice to know.

DB2
11-21-2007, 12:59 PM
I have heard many stories of Henry's not being reliable. Now that being said, I have put two entire boxes (525) of Remington through mine and not had one hiccup. I don't know if I got luck with that rifle or what, since I have only used that ammo. I think I'll just stick to the same ammo.:D

sloguy
11-21-2007, 1:06 PM
remove barrel, unscrew the side plate and remove the ejector, then poull out handle so the bolt can slide out.

as far as i remember thats how it is done.

bigthaiboy
11-21-2007, 2:26 PM
Thanks Guys. I got the bolt handle out. The cocking handle was in very tight and needed pliers to pull out, I guess because it's still new. I just didn't want to force it out without finding out first, if by chance the cocking pin was pinned or threaded to the bolt, as I didn't want to damage the bolt.

I got the new springs in easy enough, now I'm off to the range to test it out.

bigthaiboy
11-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Just got back from Angeles, so a range report:

Winchester Xpert and CCI Blazer = Failed to eject 100% of the time.

Remington Golden Bullet bulk and Aguila Super Maximum Velocity = fired 100rds of each, fed 100% reliably. No FTF / FTE.

Kind of fortunate since I have 3.5K rds of Remington GB stashed away (feeds in my Marlin 100% reliably). :D

I bought the new springs from AR-7.com and they are designed for use on the Charter Arms & Armalite AR-7 versions, but to be honest, I don't think there is that much difference in the spring lbs strength compared to the factory Henry spring. I was surprised that the CCI Blazer was too low powered enough to cycle the new springs.

I think I will stick to Remington GB bulk, since it's cheap ($11.25 at Wallyworld per 550) and since it cycled perfectly, but also because it feeds in my Marlin 100% reliably. I also had surprisingly good accuracy shooting steel plates at 50 & 75 yards, considering the basic design of the sights.

Only feeding problem I had was one of the two magazines supplied with the rifle will not feed the last round at all, so that mag will be going back to Henry for replacement.

Please share with us, what brands of ammo works well on your Henry / AR-7?