PDA

View Full Version : I want to build a gun

Rob P.
11-19-2007, 8:09 PM
I want a nice rifle in .270. Bolt action, scoped, wood stock (monte carlo style), and decent trigger. I can BUY a very nice rifle with all the nifty features I want except for one important one for a nice price just about anywhere. The ONE feature I absolutely NEED and will not compromise on is length of pull. I really do need 14 1/4" LOP instead of the really short 13" LOP most rifles have.

This means I have to buy a rifle with a perfectly good stock and replace the stock. Which almost doubles the cost of the rifle. Unless I buy a custom built rifle.

If I'm going to buy a custom built rifle w/ a mauser action, then WHY shouldn't I just build it myself and skip the middle man?

So, where can I get a good barrelled action for a good price? A .270 needs a long action. And where can I get good "parts" for the rest of it (floorplate, trigger assy, etc.)? I already know where to get a stock since I'd have to have one if I just bought any old rifle and bed the action into the new stock (BTDT).

Rifle will be used for target and hunting so no bull barrel.

BaronW
11-19-2007, 8:29 PM
Have you looked into trying a 1.25" thick rubber butt pad?

ar15barrels
11-19-2007, 9:21 PM
I don't know what they sell for now, but I built my first rifle on a VZ-24 from Big5 for about $70.
Of course this was several years ago.
If you can find Argentine 1909 bottom metal, that's the ticket as it already has a hinged floorplate and it's long action as well.
The sweet setup for a hunting gun would be a VZ-24 action with 1909 Argentine bottom metal.

Rob P.
11-20-2007, 9:59 AM
I don't know what they sell for now, but I built my first rifle on a VZ-24 from Big5 for about $70.
Of course this was several years ago.
If you can find Argentine 1909 bottom metal, that's the ticket as it already has a hinged floorplate and it's long action as well.
The sweet setup for a hunting gun would be a VZ-24 action with 1909 Argentine bottom metal.

I had this thought as well, Buy old mil surplus and rebuild it with new barrel, stock, and hardware. Problem is, I don't know enough about mil surplus rifles to know what's good and what's junk. I don't know what cartridges fit what bolt faces, and machining a bolt face is NOT something I want to get into because I don't know enough about metal strength / durability.

I believe that .308 cartridge rims & extractors are the same as the .270 so rebarrelling for that new chambering might work. I'd need a gunsmith to do the headspace though as I have no experience in that (which is OK if I can FIND a good gunsmith who knows what the heck he's doing.) All the fitting and detail stuff is something I've done in the past with the exception of trigger work. (Again, need a good gunsmith.)

I'm still working on this idea and gathering costs and everything. Time isn't a problem. Neither is money. I just don't want to buy a pig in a poke for twice normal retail.

ar15barrels
11-20-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't know enough about mil surplus rifles to know what's good and what's junk.
I don't know what cartridges fit what bolt faces, and machining a bolt face is NOT something I want to get into
I believe that .308 cartridge rims & extractors are the same as the .270 so rebarrelling for that new chambering might work.
I'd need a gunsmith to do the headspace though

Anything in 8mm mauser will be the same as a 30/06, 270 or 308.
A gunsmith will certainly need to install the barrel to be able to ream the chamber for proper headspace.
Don't bother with the original trigger.
Buy an aftermarket trigger, very easy to install.

Rob P.
11-20-2007, 3:34 PM
Ok, I've looked and I've seen and I'm pretty disgusted at what I'm finding. No one actually MAKES anything these days.

Is this a good price or bad deal? Also, is the "blue" really blue or is it black?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=496326&t=11082005

dfletcher
11-20-2007, 3:58 PM
Those are the old Zastava actions that were offered by Charles Daly until Remington cut them a better deal, I presume. Nothing wrong with them, typical Mauser design.

Have you considered these on a conventional stocked rifle:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/catsearch.aspx?k=butt+stock+spacer&ps=10&si=True

I'm about 6' 5" and 37/38" shirt sleeves fit me pretty well. I don't care for short stocks either, but found most LOPs are about 13 1/2". A buttstock spacer and thick recoil pad would get you there.