PDA

View Full Version : AK Builders. Which Flat, Which Parts Kit

tankerman
11-19-2007, 8:55 PM
I know plenty of folks have been building AK's from Flats.

I need some help deciding which build to do.

Help me out here. I don't want to break the bank, so the exotics variants are out. Whats the best of whats left?

Who should I buy the flat from?

Which parts kit should I get?

I have a prefrence for 7.62x39, but I am not hung up on it.

Thanks for the advice

IH8CALAWS
11-19-2007, 9:04 PM
flats from either www.akbuilder.com or www.copesdist.com, no tapco junk.
as for kits it depends on what you want to spend. check copes they have a good selection and good prices.

AJAX22
11-19-2007, 9:17 PM
Talk to FEDUPWITHBS, I think he's got some leftovers from the build party.

Very high quality stuff.

DJMAN
11-19-2007, 10:51 PM

Very high quality stuff.

Give fedup a pm he has the right stuff.:D

adamsreeftank
11-19-2007, 11:49 PM
flats from either www.akbuilder.com or www.copesdist.com, no tapco junk.
as for kits it depends on what you want to spend. check copes they have a good selection and good prices.

What's wrong with the Tapco flats?

jandmtv
11-19-2007, 11:51 PM
its made by tapco, thats whats wrong. the only thing tapco did right is the g2 trigger.

adamsreeftank
11-19-2007, 11:56 PM
its made by tapco, thats whats wrong. the only thing tapco did right is the g2 trigger.

So is it bad steel or out of spec, or you just don't like the name on the bag?

nanoer
11-20-2007, 12:03 AM
I could be wrong here, but from what I hear around akfiles... copes flats are the tapco flats. Yes, tapco has some weird flats that are out of spec, but some of them are good and they have made improvements on their second gen flats.

I could be wrong here... Just wanted to know if anyone could correct me on this.:confused::confused::confused:

I myself buy ak-builders flats and bend them with his jig, cut the rails, and tap the holes for the trunnion.

tankerman
11-20-2007, 6:21 AM
I could be wrong here, but from what I hear around akfiles... copes flats are the tapco flats. Yes, tapco has some weird flats that are out of spec, but some of them are good and they have made improvements on their second gen flats.

I could be wrong here... Just wanted to know if anyone could correct me on this.:confused::confused::confused:

I myself buy ak-builders flats and bend them with his jig, cut the rails, and tap the holes for the trunnion.

Thats what I'm curious about.

Is AK-Builder.com the way to go for buying a flat?

I am not at all familiar with Eastern-bloc firearms, so I don't know thw difference between the different AK's other than caliber

JHC
11-20-2007, 5:00 PM
Copes sells both Tapco and AKbuilder flats, the "Economy Flats"
they sell for $12 are AKbuilder and they are the best flat available.
Get you're Romanian G kits while you can, they are drying up.

DoctorCheney223
11-20-2007, 5:09 PM
I would spend the extra money and get the AK-Builder flats. Just make sure whoever helps you bend them has a good bending jig. I bent quite a few flats and about 1/2 them were slightly off spec and I just destroyed them. It wasn't a cost issue because if you figure all the time, money and effort you have to put into bending a flat, hardening the FCG holes and spot welding the rails, a registered receiver IS WAY cheaper. It's quite an accomplishment to take a flat and get it to the point where you can take it to the shooting range.

As mentioned above, the Romy kits are the best bang for the buck but get them while you can.

thanks,
Ron

IH8CALAWS
11-20-2007, 6:00 PM
What's wrong with the Tapco flats?

when you bend them the trigger holes turn oval instead of round and you an't drill them because they will be oversized. AKbuilder's are slightly under sized so you can drill or ream them after bending.

IH8CALAWS
11-20-2007, 6:02 PM

copes does sell tapco if you want one but they also sell akbuilder flats. I gues it is your choice weither or not to take the chance with the crapco stuff. I always use akbuilder flats and his jig also.

sloguy
11-20-2007, 6:06 PM

Very high quality stuff.

+1 i bent a few last weekend and they were all good. no problems.