PDA

View Full Version : Did you know that SCPRC was already taken as a precision rifle club name?

ar15barrels
11-19-2007, 5:24 PM
http://www.socalprc.com/

It seems to belong to Mark Archuleta that runs the match once a year at West End Gun Club.
Is there any tie-in to this group?
Perhaps all you guys should be shooting the match next year to get the token. ;)

http://socalprc.com/images/512_DSC06530.JPG

rksimple
11-19-2007, 6:18 PM
Not a club, but a competition, no?

I'm planning on this comp, as well as the big norcal one this year.

PistolPete75
11-19-2007, 9:14 PM
Not a club, but a competition, no?

I'm planning on this comp, as well as the big norcal one this year.

yep, competition with the same name. it doesn't really matter anyways. our scprc is really informal, and more or less just a bunch of precision shooters from calguns that is open to anyone that simply likes to shoot precision/ tactical style shooting.

Timberwolf
11-19-2007, 11:37 PM
That's the big SoCal match that's held once a year at WEGC. It stands for SoCal Prec Rifle Competition. Not the same name just same initials.

By the way I have two of those coins, 2006 (the first year) and 2007. WIll be adding 2008 next year - I hope to see quite a few of SoCal PRec RIfle Club members at this years SCPRC '08 - would love to have at least five or six of us squaded together to collectively whoop some butt!

Cypriss32
11-20-2007, 6:48 AM
We some work to do if im going. No cheating thow.

Prc329
11-20-2007, 8:31 AM
I may just try and do that this year. Looks like fun, just gotta work on my off hand shooting.

PistolPete75
11-20-2007, 8:53 AM
i plan on making this match as well. should be a great time!

Timberwolf
11-20-2007, 10:22 PM
If Mark does what he did last year he'll squad us and that squad shoots as a unit through the match. We ought to get at least five or six of us who are for sure going and do some practice together. There's a couple of people in particlur that I'd like to collectively shut down this year.

wildcard
11-21-2007, 4:13 AM
I am in for sure this year. I've already started practicing my field positions.. much better now.

So how do the squads work? Do the individual scores actually depend on each other's performances or are the squads formed just for the sake of grouping people with scores completely independent of each other?

PistolPete75
11-21-2007, 8:22 AM
once i get my new rifle put together, i plan on burning several hundred rounds a month, mainly practicing mid range shooting. especially hold under/ off shooting, and learning wind drift on the 155 scenars. i'm going to plot down 1mph full value drifts from jbm, and use a kestryll to determine wind value and mph. don't know how many matches i can attend next year, the far ones, but i plan on attending the scprc one at least.

only issue with my new set up is the weight. it's gonna be an excellent prone rifle, but it will be heavy for unsupported shooting. guess it is time to hit the gym again.

that is the thing with competition shooting, it's soooo much better when people are working collectively together instead of trying to compete with one another. #1 it takes the fun away out of shooting and #2 the group as a whole benefits.

ar15barrels
11-21-2007, 8:51 AM
So how do the squads work?

The squads are formed just for the sake of grouping people who want to shoot with each other.

ocabj
11-21-2007, 9:02 AM
As far as the monthly precision rifle matches at WEGC are concerned, are those still being held actively? Does the course of fire change between each month?

I am asking because I remember a couple years ago they would alternate between the 'Tactical' match and a 600 yard prone match every other month for that 2nd Sunday. If there's still a 600 yard prone only match, I'd probably start taking advantage of it again to test my service rifle loads.

ar15barrels
11-21-2007, 9:04 AM
As far as the monthly precision rifle matches at WEGC are concerned, are those still being held actively? Does the course of fire change between each month?

I am asking because I remember a couple years ago they would alternate between the 'Tactical' match and a 600 yard prone match every other month for that 2nd Sunday. If there's still a 600 yard prone only match, I'd probably start taking advantage of it again to test my service rifle loads.

They are still alternating back and forth every month.
I think that due to the holidays, Mark is not holding the November and December matches.

Timberwolf
11-21-2007, 9:10 AM
The squads were formed to run people through the various stages in groups but it was an individual score comp. But there was a little squad to squad boasting so to speak.

Mark does the matches monthly, they used to be every other month then they went monthly, though n the past year they weren't regular . . . he'll probably start back up in January depending on the weather. There's also scutterbutt that he'll be doing a team comp next year.

wildcard
11-21-2007, 9:17 AM
that is the thing with competition shooting, it's soooo much better when people are working collectively together instead of trying to compete with one another. #1 it takes the fun away out of shooting and #2 the group as a whole benefits.

I think I half agree.. it's definitely more fun when people are not TOO serious and are friendly with one another.. but it's that spirit of competition that gets the blood flowing! I like competing and trying to be better than the next guy.. and I actually don't care too much if there are a-holes.. it just makes it that much better when you spank them. You just have to keep in mind why YOU are there may it be to have fun, learn, or straight up compete. Having friends with you at least guarantees some friendly competition and comradership though. Just my take on it.

ocabj
11-21-2007, 9:40 AM

Well, in competitive matches, your goal should be to shoot the best score possible. Your goal shouldn't be to shoot better than everyone else.

If you focus on yourself and your performance, 'winning' comes naturally.

PistolPete75
11-21-2007, 9:54 AM
Well, in competitive matches, your goal should be to shoot the best score possible. Your goal shouldn't be to shoot better than everyone else.

If you focus on yourself and your performance, 'winning' comes naturally.

+1

exactly, that's why it's all about having fun for me. if you focus on just beating others, it takes the fun out.

goes to the old human nature of competition. instead of just trying to out do one another, and put people down. why can't we do the opposite and help one another, and have everyone benefit. human nature is extremly difficult to go against.

for me, as long as i am happy of how i'm shooting, i am okay with that. i started the sport by just having fun, and i would like it to keep it that way at all costs. my two cents.

loyalty is key.

Pride will only hurt you in the end.

wildcard, trust me when i say this too much competition between friends usually does more harm than good. i say on this on life experience. it is very hard for people to keep things in perspective. i don't like to get too competitive between friends, it only brings negative aspects to the friendship. it takes a very strong friendship and understanding to overcome these things.

the last couple of years, alot of my friends got very competitive with me cause i made alot of money. some of them harbored ill will against me, and i've lost some friends. my best friend, adam, and the reason why he is my best friend, truely cares for me in a deep level and has not effected my friendship in a negative way. we remain best friends since the 7th grade.

Proverbs 18:24

Some friends play at friendship but a true friend sticks closer than one's nearest kin.

wildcard
11-21-2007, 10:21 AM
No.. I hear you. Some people cross the line during friendly competition. To me, it's about learning, having fun, scoring high, seeing how I rank compared to my peers, and just being good at it. I've competed in pool, shooting, or whatever else with my friends and strangers. Never had a problem with my friends may it be playing for pride or money.. strangers are a different story. Some really don't like getting beaten in front of their friends or have their money taken from them! :43: So while I've seen what you're talking about, i've never personally had an issue with my friends. With my friends, we tease, we hand over money, but we know its all in good fun.

I certainly don't doubt that people can grow envious if you make a lot of money or change the way they behave with you if they perceive you as better than them. I've just never personally experienced it. Maybe i'm oblivious to it.. maybe i'm lucky.. or maybe i'm selective about who my friends are.

I'll have to admit.. it feels better when you do well as opposed to when you do poorly! But in the end, you just have to keep in mind why you are there.

Prc329
11-21-2007, 10:26 AM
When is the match normally held so I can see if there is anything that would normally be around that time of year.

PistolPete75
11-21-2007, 10:29 AM
When is the match normally held so I can see if there is anything that would normally be around that time of year.

i think it's around July.

Prc329
11-21-2007, 10:32 AM
May is my daughters B-day, the wife and I are in june so July should be good. I'm in.

PistolPete75
11-21-2007, 10:33 AM
i think mid range shooting is key. 200-500yards. make sure you exactly know your dope on paper. if you only have access to steel, i recommend going to angeles after they just freshly painted their steel. you can see exactly where your shots are landing. do head shots. on thursdays, you can set paper out to 300yards. paper only on thursdays for 200 and 300yard paper shooting.

wouldn't it be nice of having everyone getting together for the SCPRC match, and have everyone do well!?

Vu 308
11-22-2007, 7:07 PM
If Mark does what he did last year he'll squad us and that squad shoots as a unit through the match. We ought to get at least five or six of us who are for sure going and do some practice together. There's a couple of people in particlur that I'd like to collectively shut down this year.

LOL LOL GEE...I wonder who those shooters might be?

Timberwolf...I think you need a north vs south battle bud. If you host I am sure I can rally a decent group..of if you want us to host lets work out some details.

We can shoot for losing team buys the beer and dinner :D

Timberwolf
11-22-2007, 9:15 PM
I've got a two day (actually 1 evening and 1 morning - similar to SCPRC) affair on the drawing board for next year. I'll keep you in the loop - maybe we can use a north - south shootout as a theme. And yeah losers buy the dinner and beer.

Vu 308
11-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Rgr that.

Let me know if you need any thing from our club to help out man.

Vu