PDA

View Full Version : Chrome lined barrel vs. not..

sig22018
11-18-2007, 10:07 PM
What is the benefits of a chrome lined barrel in an AR 15 vs one without? I've got the OLL.

thanks

glockman19
11-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Longer barrel life. Less fouling, easier to clean.

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Chrome-lined: longer barrel life, less fouling, easier to clean.

Non-chrome-lined: less expensive, more accuracy potential.

mcubed4130
11-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Chrome-lined: longer barrel life, less fouling, easier to clean.

Non-chrome-lined: less expensive, more accuracy potential.

I dunno - I might rewrite your accuracy comment as:

Non-chrome-lined: baseline accuracy potential.

Chrome-lined: the possibility depending on company to screw up your accuracy. :D

-M3

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 11:52 PM
I dunno - I might rewrite your accuracy comment as:
Non-chrome-lined: baseline accuracy potential.
Chrome-lined: the possibility depending on company to screw up your accuracy.

Say it however you want, but the likelyhood is that two identical barrels,
one having chrome added to it, the chromed one is most likely to be less accurate than the one that has not been etched and chromed.
That's not to say that a chromed barrel is not ALSO going to be accurate,
just that the process of etching and chroming introduces more variables to the consistency of the bore.

Regardless of the chrome, there are other inconsistencies within a run of barrels.
You can get a turd chromed barrel OR a turd non-chromed barrel.
You can also get a winner chromed barrel or a winner non-chromed barrel.
There are more occurances of turd chrome lined barrels than non-chromed barrels though.

-hanko
11-19-2007, 7:05 AM
one having chrome added to it, the chromed one is most likely to be less accurate than the one that has not been etched and chromed.
just that the process of etching and chroming introduces more variables to the consistency of the bore.

Regardless of the chrome, there are other inconsistencies within a run of barrels.
There are more occurances of turd chrome lined barrels than non-chromed barrels though.
+1.

With 2 "non-turd" barrels, one lined and the other not lined, accuracy differences won't be noticeable to the average shooter. E.g., accuracy with chromed line barrels appears at least adequate for the US military.

I like a lined barrel because it lasts longer and is easier to clean. If I need long distance accuracy beyond what an ar can provide, I look at a bolt gun.

=hanko

Fjold
11-19-2007, 8:30 AM

+100

Boomer1961
11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
The US armies position was to try to have their cake and eat it to by having a chrome lined chamber with a naked barrel as it is well documented that naked barrels have much higher degree of accuracy.

For almost all Calgun members though I would recommend all chrome as a typical Calgun member does not shoot to that level of accuracy plus is inclined to have to hide the weapon from the wife in dark, grungy, wet, environments hence are better.:D

bobfried
11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
The US armies position was to try to have their cake and eat it to by having a chrome lined chamber with a naked barrel as it is well documented that naked barrels have much higher degree of accuracy.

For almost all Calgun members though I would recommend all chrome as a typical Calgun member does not shoot to that level of accuracy plus is inclined to have to hide the weapon from the wife in dark, grungy, wet, environments hence are better.:D

What???????

I only started playing with M16 and M4's in the late 90's for the Army and they were all chrome lined by than. You must be speaking of some GI Joe fantasy Army. And there's only one US Army, we don't consider all the other nut job wackos to be "armies".

bwiese
11-19-2007, 11:21 AM
The 'inaccuracy' in chrome-lined barrels is really due to the acceptance/rejection rate.

Once the bbl's chromed, "it's it". No tweaks that can be done on unlined bbls.

For AR bbls, the $35- $50 price difference reflects the cost of chrome (relatively small), the cost of chroming (a fair portion, and given toxics handling costs these days not unreasonable), and the cost of rejected bbls. It appears roughly 1/3rd of chromed bbls get tossed.

Global/Tactical Denny's Guns is offering a chrome-lined Mike Rock bbl that appears to have stunning accuracy.

The FN SPR 308 bolt gun has a chromed bbl and it's a same-hole-at-100yds gun.

You can bet that they throw out/reject more than the typical 1/3rd.

Want more accurate chrome-lined bbls? Demand them - the marketplace can shift toward a higher rejection rate (i.e, allowance of tighter tolerance) and thus a higher price.

ar15barrels
11-19-2007, 1:13 PM
Global/Tactical Denny's Guns is offering a chrome-lined Mike Rock bbl that appears to have stunning accuracy.

The FN SPR 308 bolt gun has a chromed bbl and it's a same-hole-at-100yds gun.

You can bet that they throw out/reject more than the typical 1/3rd.

Very few chrome lined barrels are rejected, they just get passed through to consumers.
Armalite, Mike Rock and FN know some tricks.

If you LAP the barrel before chroming and you make the bore oversize enough that you don't need to etch it, you can make excellent chrome lined barrels.
Take LMT/Denny (both Mike Rock), Armalite and FN as examples.

guimus
11-19-2007, 1:49 PM
and you can always sell the rejects to Model 1

(and I'm a proud Model 1 owner)

ar15barrels
11-19-2007, 3:14 PM
and you can always sell the rejects to Model 1

Or any manner of other "gun show" parts sellers...

bwiese
11-19-2007, 4:22 PM
Or any manner of other "gun show" parts sellers...

Yes, but those parts all come from "FN".

<bwaaah>

ar15barrels
11-19-2007, 4:27 PM
Yes, but those parts all come from "FN".

Of course they do. :rolleyes:

sig22018
11-19-2007, 8:23 PM
Your responses cleared up a lot. I am not looking for a competition barrel. This CA legal AR is simply for plinking, range shooting, and just enjoying an AR style rifle. I think I will go with chrome. Easier to clean and longer life from what I heard out there. Thanks for the responses.
Now, any recommendations as to who to buy from? I'm leaning towards Bushmaster because they are such a well known company. Any comments on uppers?
Thank you

8200rpm
11-19-2007, 9:04 PM
Now, any recommendations as to who to buy from? I'm leaning towards Bushmaster because they are such a well known company. Any comments on uppers?
Thank you

Uh-oh, here comes the...

http://www.x-entertainment.com/pics/kool1.jpg

Before going any further, I would recommend that you familarize yourself with terms such as...

magnetic particle inspection
high pressure testing
shot-peening
properly staked gas key
F marked front sight base

Or, pay the extra $30 and just order these two items...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT-16-M4-Carbine-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/lmt%2016%20urg.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

Have fun!:seeya:

:lurk5:

ar15barrels
11-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Before going any further, I would recommend that you familarize yourself with terms such as...

magnetic particle inspection
high pressure testing
shot-peening
properly staked gas key
F marked front sight base

Good man. :D

He should just buy an LMT from me.