PDA

View Full Version : 10/30 PMAG....does it exist anymore??!?!

Heavy_Grinder
11-18-2007, 9:12 PM
I used the search function as I always obey the SOP of forum etiquette.

With that said, as the story goes, when the PMAG was first launched into the mainstream, one company (secondary distributor and not magpul) supposedly sold it for a short time, a ten-round PMAG.

There's also a home built chopped and modded PMAG that a user did.

I really want one of those bad boys but obviously in a 10/30 config.
Where on earth can I get one, if that's even a possibility.

DedEye
11-18-2007, 9:19 PM
I believe Metroshot sells them. He's on here as SFV_Dealer.

Heavy_Grinder
11-18-2007, 9:25 PM
kudos dead eye, ill send him a PM

MilanoRex
11-18-2007, 9:28 PM
Here's his website

http://www.metroshotfirearms.com/

trinydex
03-29-2008, 3:31 AM
are the lancer l5s really better than pmags?

aplinker
03-29-2008, 4:09 AM
are the lancer l5s really better than pmags?

:rofl2:

ummm

we have 10rd mags. Most of the issues with mags is due to feeding 30rds RAPIDLY, so they have anti-tilt followers, special springs, etc...

ANY quality magazine is fine. You're not going to see any difference between a lancer and a pmag.

trinydex
03-29-2008, 4:47 AM
well it just says it on their site, i can't seem to find the pmags advertised either, but i figure this might be a call and order type place. i was thinking maybe there is some torture test of the lancer mag out there and it's everyting the pmag is except it has metal feedlips. i guess i'm wrong?

aplinker
03-29-2008, 5:06 AM
well the lancer's a lot newer, but some think it's great...

Metroshot isn't an online shop - call when they're open or go in.

Yeah, and it's clear... people like them a lot for various reasons (clear, metal feed lips, rubber bottom)

rastro
03-29-2008, 7:40 PM
I almost thought about a 10/30 clear lancer mag.

However, since it would only be able to take 10 rounds, it would look empty when pinned in place thus negating the CDI factor. :(

trinydex
03-30-2008, 12:07 AM
how are these 10/30s from metroshot modified?

aplinker
03-30-2008, 3:06 AM
how are these 10/30s from metroshot modified?

PMags use rivets. I'm betting the Lancers will use the same.

BlackReef
03-30-2008, 3:18 AM
Here is my 10/30 pmag

http://www.blackreefdesign.com/misc/AR/AR2.png

trinydex
03-30-2008, 3:55 PM
PMags use rivets. I'm betting the Lancers will use the same.

ic, i read that new jersey didn't allow the riveting for their 15 rounders, i was afraid that california was the same. but good to have all this answered in one thread now. hope others find it.

DB2
03-30-2008, 4:39 PM
P Mags are so easy to modify it's not even funny. I just did one. No rivet needed, and can't get anymore permanent. Function is not changed, and reliablity is awesome. Thinking of doing a write up on it.

Ech0Sierra
03-30-2008, 4:57 PM
Please do, the prices I see are outrageous, I'm thinking of buying a whole buttload and modding them in a pahrump motel room.

aplinker
03-30-2008, 5:41 PM
A hack down would work great on a p-mag - if you don't mind shorter.

You could also epoxy in a "stop"

The PMags are really ideal, I agree...

and get your parts kits from 44mag.com :)

Ech0Sierra
03-30-2008, 6:02 PM
How do you get the floorplate to fit on a "hack down?"

aplinker
03-30-2008, 7:33 PM
How do you get the floorplate to fit on a "hack down?"

There's a pic of it... MrLogan had randall do it. The ridges of the mag are the same.

SunriseF150
03-31-2008, 10:44 AM
P Mags are so easy to modify it's not even funny. I just did one. No rivet needed, and can't get anymore permanent. Function is not changed, and reliablity is awesome. Thinking of doing a write up on it.

Please do. I've been thinking of modding some to 10. Would like to see the different ways people are doing them.

So for the rivet version, where is the rivet placed? I haven't seen in in any pics people have posted of the mags. How visible is it?

ChapmanLaw
03-31-2008, 6:47 PM
DB2- how did you modify it? I would prefer not to cut one up or pop rivet it but it would be awesome to have some PMAGs

aplinker
03-31-2008, 8:48 PM
Please do. I've been thinking of modding some to 10. Would like to see the different ways people are doing them.

So for the rivet version, where is the rivet placed? I haven't seen in in any pics people have posted of the mags. How visible is it?

It's visible on the back... it's just a round silver rivet where it keeps the follower from continuing down.

If you want I can snap a pic.

DB2
03-31-2008, 8:53 PM
If I get a chance I'll do a thread on it in the next couple days with pics. Basically you make a blocking plate that goes up inside the guide section of mag. Epoxy that to the spring plate and then epoxy the spring plate to the floor plate. It is very simple. But you have to be carefull with the measurements. Because the mag is composite you may be able to shove that 11th round in there if you don't get it right. The mag can actually spread open enough to get it in.

It's definetly way more permanent than a rivet. You are never going to get it apart with out destroying at least the floor plate, and probably the spring base too.

aplinker
03-31-2008, 8:58 PM
I'm slightly confused, but think I understand... I think it's the words you use... for future reference, there are 4 parts to a normal mag: body, spring, floorplate, follower. When you say things like guide section and spring plate it makes me think of other things....

This eliminates the ability to clean inside the mag, does it not? Sounds like you're sealing it closed...

If I get a chance I'll do a thread on it in the next couple days with pics. Basically you make a blocking plate that goes up inside the guide section of mag. Epoxy that to the spring plate and then epoxy the spring plate to the floor plate. It is very simple. But you have to be carefull with the measurements. Because the mag is composite you may be able to shove that 11th round in there if you don't get it right. The mag can actually spread open enough to get it in.

It's definetly way more permanent than a rivet. You are never going to get it apart with out destroying at least the floor plate, and probably the spring base too.

trinydex
03-31-2008, 9:11 PM
riveting is the least invassive right? and reversible?

the picture that i saw (which i can't find anymore) was just a little button rivet on the back (?) of the mag body, i suspect it somehow stopped the follower from being compressed anymore after 10 rounds. i imagine it's worked out such that it doesn't interfere with the spring.

If you want I can snap a pic.

please

DB2
03-31-2008, 9:28 PM
riveting is the least invassive right? and reversible?

It's not supposed to be reversible. It's supposed to be permanent.

This eliminates the ability to clean inside the mag, does it not? Sounds like you're sealing it closed...

Yes it is sealed closed. PERMANENT. The bushys that everyone loves do not come apart for cleaning. I don't trust just a rivet. Here's a quick run down.................

Far right side of mag triangled area................
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u232/Rockink5/DSCI0070.jpg

Blocking plate made to go in mag.....................
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u232/Rockink5/DSCI0069.jpg

Plate in mag....................
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u232/Rockink5/DSCI0068.jpg

Epoxy it all together and you get a PERMANENT 10/30 P Mag. A rivet is not permanent. At least not in my eyes.

SunriseF150
04-01-2008, 9:36 AM
Good idea. I like how it keeps everything concealed. A round ABS rod would probably work just as well, or a wood dowl and it would save you from beding and remeasuring after bending to make sure it's the right length. I think I might do this. I might even cut some down shorter for the hell of it. Since Magpul hasn't released their 20's yet.

A rivet can be removed so easily. Granted it is permanent in a way that it has to be removed with a drill. But no other modification is needed to make the mag functional.

You could reverse your mod, but takes modifications to the mag to make it functional again. You can take tools and cut your floor plate off, remove the insides, cut the mag down to the next rib so the floor plate now attaches there, and with the purchase of a new floor plate and spring plate your at probably 24 or so rounds. But who would honestly go through that hassle.

DB2
04-01-2008, 10:09 AM
A round ABS rod would probably work just as well, or a wood dowl and it would save you from beding and remeasuring after bending to make sure it's the right length.

Tried it. You need to be able to shape the blocker into a curve. The way the mag body is shaped it holds that flat stock in there and it does not move. That's why I did it that way.

I tried a stailess rod, but since the follower is hollow on the end it would go over the rod and get stuck. This was my 4th idea. It seams to be the best.

trinydex
04-01-2008, 4:23 PM
A rivet can be removed so easily. Granted it is permanent in a way that it has to be removed with a drill. But no other modification is needed to make the mag functional.

You could reverse your mod, but takes modifications to the mag to make it functional again. You can take tools and cut your floor plate off, remove the insides, cut the mag down to the next rib so the floor plate now attaches there, and with the purchase of a new floor plate and spring plate your at probably 24 or so rounds. But who would honestly go through that hassle.
does the law say that the mod must be irresversible?

aplinker
04-01-2008, 10:13 PM
does the law say that the mod must be irresversible?

The law says permanent. For a LONG time I've argued that nothing is permanent and that tons of companies make "10rd mags" for sale for rifles, handguns, etc that can EASILY be modified for more than 10rds. I would say the same level of permanence (requires tools, cutting, etc) for those is what we should uphold here.

Bill recently rendered his opinion on this, as well... I'd trust him before I trusted me, as he's the most cautiously conservative on here.

Wiggawam
04-02-2008, 2:23 AM
The law says permanent. For a LONG time I've argued that nothing is permanent and that tons of companies make "10rd mags" for sale for rifles, handguns, etc that can EASILY be modified for more than 10rds. I would say the same level of permanence (requires tools, cutting, etc) for those is what we should uphold here.

Bill recently rendered his opinion on this, as well... I'd trust him before I trusted me, as he's the most cautiously conservative on here.

Mind linking me to that statement. I have been in the rivet isn't enough band camp but am willing to change given how cheap normal mags are.

aplinker
04-02-2008, 2:30 AM
Mind linking me to that statement. I have been in the rivet isn't enough band camp but am willing to change given how cheap normal mags are.

here

Also, some of you may recall seeing my prior posts exhorting caution in using separate hicap mag parts to assemble a "10-looks-like-30" or "10-looks-like-20" mag, and my warnings about 'permanence' of modification.

While that is still a very good guideline to avoid grief, it appears that MANY handguns that the DOJ has approved for sale in CA - and approved WITH the factory 10rd magazines being part of the 'approved system' - do not have magazines that are really permanently limited to 10rds (i.e, higher capacity could be recovered without that much difficulty - bends, rivets/fillers). This would provide an element of defense as to what the term 'permanence' means - if it's good enough for the DOJ FD/BoF to have approved a mag that "doesn't take a nuke to recover high capacity" then that standard of permanence (or really, lack thereof) is good enough elsewhere.

Wiggawam
04-02-2008, 1:46 PM
here

Perfect. Thanks for the quick help.

Roccobro
04-04-2008, 10:33 PM
So where are the pixs?

Please? Somebody?

:D

Justin

ar15barrels
04-06-2008, 3:08 AM
So where are the pixs?

Please? Somebody?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=67333

Roccobro
04-06-2008, 1:27 PM
Thanks man. Look what you started. :p

Justin

SunriseF150
04-09-2008, 9:56 AM
I thought about using some metal epoxy and gluing 20 non firing rounds together, inside a 30rd mag somehow so they line up properly. But not glued to the mag itself. That could be used as a block to then limit 10 rounds to be inserted. And in a windowed pmag or lancer mag it would actually make uses of the visibility factor the mag allows. Of course you would probably epoxy the base plate on the mag so it had some kind of permanent modification.

aplinker
04-09-2008, 1:41 PM
I thought about using some metal epoxy and gluing 20 non firing rounds together, inside a 30rd mag somehow so they line up properly. But not glued to the mag itself. That could be used as a block to then limit 10 rounds to be inserted. And in a windowed pmag or lancer mag it would actually make uses of the visibility factor the mag allows. Of course you would probably epoxy the base plate on the mag so it had some kind of permanent modification.

That sounds "expensive" and difficult. For a reloader it wouldn't be too tough, but most people don't have access to cheap dummies.

Also, think about how that would look to an LEO :) I know you'd talk it through, but again, it's yet another explanation....

SunriseF150
04-09-2008, 3:08 PM
Yeah, you could drill a hole in the top 2, so they could see they are dummy rounds. If you got to explain a 10/30 or 10/20, your gonna have to explain this. And at least this is a little more creative. lol. And if you gonna go for the look of a 30, this is really going for the looks of a 30.

I figure you load up say 26 rounds into a mag from the bottom. This would allow you to put epoxy on them inside the mag easily right at the top of the opening. Drop dummy # 1 in, put some expoy on #1, drop #2 in there, put some expoy on #2, drop #3 in, epoxy it and then drop #4 in. With those 4 done and set up, you can remove that block and take out a few rounds and repeat. It would be a little time consuming. But would look cool when your done, well if you wanted a windowed pmag or clear lancer.

aplinker
04-09-2008, 3:40 PM
Might be easier to cover a dummy mag with bedding compound release, then just fill as needed and create a whole block like that. Then insert from the bottom of the new mag you want it in (from the floorplate). I'd be a little concerned that the freedom of movement you want wouldn't be there. You'd also want to seal up the bottom of the mag. And you'd need a follower on top and bottom. The last fake round would try to feed without trimming.

It would absolutely look cool ;)

Yeah, you could drill a hole in the top 2, so they could see they are dummy rounds. If you got to explain a 10/30 or 10/20, your gonna have to explain this. And at least this is a little more creative. lol. And if you gonna go for the look of a 30, this is really going for the looks of a 30.

I figure you load up say 26 rounds into a mag from the bottom. This would allow you to put epoxy on them inside the mag easily right at the top of the opening. Drop dummy # 1 in, put some expoy on #1, drop #2 in there, put some expoy on #2, drop #3 in, epoxy it and then drop #4 in. With those 4 done and set up, you can remove that block and take out a few rounds and repeat. It would be a little time consuming. But would look cool when your done, well if you wanted a windowed pmag or clear lancer.

aplinker
04-09-2008, 3:59 PM
do you have a link to what he said

search... I searched and found it recently to repost for someone else.

Uxi
04-09-2008, 6:16 PM
I had PMAG's in mind when I did the thread the other day (and uclaplinker linked in Metroshot). I am probably gonna try a Lancer, but really would prefer if Magpul (or someone) would make an official "California" PMAG. The clear of the Lancer isn't as appealing to me as the plain black. It'd be nice at first, but I wonder how they look like with some mileage on them...

aplinker
04-09-2008, 7:30 PM
I had PMAG's in mind when I did the thread the other day (and uclaplinker linked in Metroshot). I am probably gonna try a Lancer, but really would prefer if Magpul (or someone) would make an official "California" PMAG. The clear of the Lancer isn't as appealing to me as the plain black. It'd be nice at first, but I wonder how they look like with some mileage on them...

:confused: The same. They wipe clean.

Metroshot sells 10/30 PMags, too.

Uxi
04-09-2008, 8:02 PM
Ah ok, I must have misunderstood then (and didn't see them on Metroshot's site). Was sounding like the PMAG's needed to be done by oneself. Cool.

aplinker
04-09-2008, 8:05 PM
Ah ok, I must have misunderstood then (and didn't see them on Metroshot's site). Was sounding like the PMAG's needed to be done by oneself. Cool.

There's also someone in the forums who sells them...

Honestly, for the few bucks it takes to buy a hand riveter, you can make all you want and buy the parts kits for $16/ea from 44mag.com

PIRATE14
04-09-2008, 8:18 PM

We are working on a "CALI" PMAG......

Hopefully in about 4 wks.....no it won't have rivets....

ar15barrels
04-09-2008, 9:44 PM

4 weeks?
That's 2 weeks times 2 right?

Uxi
04-09-2008, 9:55 PM
Honestly, for the few bucks it takes to buy a hand riveter, you can make all you want and buy the parts kits for $16/ea from 44mag.com

I have a hand-riveter. Your idea is intruiging to me... I just don't get want to get messed with by the PO-PO or anyone else. Maybe these would be perfectly legal... but I'd prefer a formal package from a reputable company for peace of mind. Still, I'm not locked to it.

Excellent. How about the price?

aplinker
04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Reputable?

REPUTABLE?!

This is the gun industry. If you want reputable, try a different hobby. ;)

(PS - there are many, MANY different kinds of reputable :D)

I have a hand-riveter. Your idea is intruiging to me... I just don't get want to get messed with by the PO-PO or anyone else. Maybe these would be perfectly legal... but I'd prefer a formal package from a reputable company for peace of mind. Still, I'm not locked to it.

Excellent. How about the price?

ar15barrels
04-09-2008, 10:24 PM
I'd prefer a formal package from a reputable company for peace of mind.

Do you plan to keep the package with you when you travel with the mags?

Uxi
04-10-2008, 7:18 AM
Do you plan to keep the package with you when you travel with the mags?

Maybe not, but (hypothetically) it could sure be showed to the prosecutor, or at least the defense attorney. :chris:

SunriseF150
04-10-2008, 9:35 AM

Seriously. I believe they were being sold for $30 each or something (not sure cause the post has be edited). And when you can get parts kits for $16/ea from 44mag, do your own rivet job, you'll be saving yourself a decent amount. Especially if you were to do around 10, opposed to buying 10.

trinydex
04-10-2008, 12:14 PM
so where the how to on exactly where to drill?

aplinker
04-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Put in 10 rounds, hold upside down open, keep tension on spring (to keep rounds from falling out) and look for where to drill.

Don't assemble it, just keep the spring in tension.

Roccobro
04-10-2008, 1:07 PM

Look at the picture on one of the first threads where it has been done. I don't have the link, but I found it a few days ago myself.

Justin

aplinker
04-10-2008, 1:45 PM
If you mean by where in general, back of the mag, about 1/3 of the way down. In toward where primers would be.

trinydex
04-10-2008, 1:51 PM
i was hoping there was a how to with a picture that says, drill and pop rivet here and maybe have it all referenced to a tape measure (there should be some loose tolerance) perhaps i'll do it, if no one else finds the "how to"

PIRATE14
04-10-2008, 2:05 PM
4 weeks?
That's 2 weeks times 2 right?

Nobody said you weren't smart........:D

Everytime I hear that or say it......brings me back to the glory days.....and that was, what only 3yrs ago........

Feels good......feels like VICTORY.....

ar15barrels
04-10-2008, 5:56 PM
Everytime I hear that or say it......brings me back to the glory days.....and that was, what only 3yrs ago........

The glory days was at the end of 1999, when the DOJ extended the DROS deadline two weeks and everyone bought "just one more" lower. ;)
I DROS'd a Bushmaster Lower at 10:30 at night before the deadline because my dealer had an extra lower he did not want to get "stuck" with. :)

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/9906.pdf

Roccobro
04-10-2008, 7:16 PM
I was there with yet another lower a few days that deadline. I had to "settle" for a bunch of Bushy lowers in December '99 from the LGS instead of the DPMS's that I was looking for. Found a few at a gun show a week later and got my DPMS's I "just had to have." Then I had my brother buy as many as he could too. :D

Justin

SFV_Dealer
04-29-2008, 6:14 AM
Metroshot now has the black and tan PMAGs, clear Lancer L5, Themold (black Zytel), Imperial Defense (gray steel), and C Products (black aluminum) 30/10rd mags instock now!

jeffyboy
05-15-2008, 1:47 PM

can you order magpuls as a parts kits from them if you want to build the 10/30's yourself?

trinydex
05-15-2008, 1:51 PM
if you have your own riveter and a pack of rivets you can order anything you want and put it together in a legal configuration.

jeffyboy
05-15-2008, 2:25 PM
if you have your own riveter and a pack of rivets you can order anything you want and put it together in a legal configuration.

Thanks, I haven't used a rivet gun in years but it should be fun trying.

trinydex
05-15-2008, 4:03 PM
i think it's harder to use the drill to make the hole in the right spot. rivet gun is just load the rivet put it in the hole and pull the handle like a pair of pliers.