PDA

View Full Version : Los Altos Gun & Rifle Club

edittman1
11-18-2007, 1:14 PM
I just wanted to say that I enjoyed using this facility yesterday with some friends.

They ran a very good operation there and will definitely go back.

http://www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com/

MedSpec65
11-18-2007, 1:35 PM
Glad to hear your comment. I've been a regular at this range for a couple of years now and have always enjoyed my time there. Good folks. Good range officers. As with any range, watch out for beginners with poor handling skills. If somebody sweeps you, let 'em know immediately. If they ignore you or do it again, tell a RO. The range officer WILL NOT ignore your complaint. A lot of folks like the 40-yard Tin Can Range at this facility.

SchooBaka
11-18-2007, 1:49 PM
One of my favorites as well.

bwiese
11-18-2007, 1:55 PM
Good place, good folks.

Haven't seen any real safety violations - though when I've seen some 'casual' handling I do talk with individual.

Tweak338
11-18-2007, 3:10 PM
Tin can range and trap is where the fun is..

gordoe
11-18-2007, 3:11 PM
Is it OLL Friendly?

bwiese
11-18-2007, 8:44 PM
Is it OLL Friendly?

LARG is friendly to all legal firearms used in a safe manner.

edittman1
11-18-2007, 9:59 PM
Well truth be told, I brought my OLL AR15. Since my prince 50 didn't come in time, I took off the pistol grip. One of the range officers noticed it and suggested I put it back on. I thought that was interesting....

I didn't put it back on, simply because I don't want to go to federal pound me in the *** prison and I was a little skeptical why he would suggest it to me. Seemed a little fishy. But if he had good intentions, then it's all good.

Oh, and I'm definitely a beginner. My handling skills are fine. But I kept forgetting to stand behind the white line! First time at an outdoor range. Live and learn I suppose. :)

hoffmang
11-18-2007, 10:02 PM
As much as Chabot is nice, Los Altos is my favorite as well. I took a bullet button equipped OLL there before bullet buttons could be purchased.

-Gene

kris&bela
11-18-2007, 10:27 PM
The place to be and it never gets crowded.I go there once a month to shoot my long guns preferably Thursday but lately I've been busy with life. My wife laughs everytime I go there co'z I always bring my lunch with me.It's a whole day evolution for me......

edittman1
11-19-2007, 6:54 PM
Yeah, I brought about 6 friends and a couple coworkers with me.

We were there from about 11 to 3. I couldn't believe how long we spent there!

Ubergeek
11-19-2007, 7:12 PM
Great facility, great staff.

My only gripe is with dealing with all the idiot Lance Armstrong wannabes on the drive to and from there.

Blue
11-19-2007, 7:41 PM
My only gripe about that place is gas prices. My Suburban drinks the gas up going up that hill. If I could figure out how to pack a few rifles on my Harley I'd be going up there more often....

Lon Moer
11-24-2007, 12:27 PM
It's about a 25min speed run up the hill from here. :D

UBFRAGD
11-24-2007, 1:56 PM
I just assumed you guys were talking about the club off of Stevens Creek till I clicked the link. Lived in SF for 25 yrs and have been blasting sportbikes down 35/9/84/236 forever, rock climbing, camping, didn't know about the place. Just got back from some "great weather-great shooting" at Richmond--nothing better! Thanks for the lead.

Later!

NRA

UBFRAGD
11-24-2007, 2:12 PM
Tech Ted: You're thinking of Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club.

Of course. In fact, I think of it everytime I see my shotguns, because that has to be the best public trap shooting ever, unless there is a trap range on the rim of the Grand Canyon I don't know about.......

Later!

schizrade2
11-30-2007, 7:58 PM
THREE MILES PER HOUR!!!!

:D

Good place.

Elucidus
12-13-2007, 2:40 PM
THREE MILES PER HOUR!!!!

:D

Good place.
:43:

I have had some form of stick shift Corvette for the last 2 years and it was a major bear to drive through that range in a wide-geared car that idles at about 7 mph with the clutch out.

Just got an HHR recently and it makes the cruise much easier, slow nonetheless. :)

I like going there to shoot my mosin nagants and blow away bottles with my pistols - and of course, the trap. I rarely shoot at pistol targets there, prefer the immediacy of indoor ranges for that.

bwiese
12-13-2007, 2:49 PM
:
Just got an HHR recently and it makes the cruise much easier, slow nonetheless. :)

How do you like your HHR? Didja get the 'panel van' version?

Elucidus
12-13-2007, 4:22 PM
How do you like your HHR? Didja get the 'panel van' version?

I got a 2LT non-panel. The panel didn't add much more space and my other two cars are 2 seaters, so another 2 seater didn't seem horribly appealing. :)

The car is good. Comfy, roof line a little low, but I'm 6'2 and torso tall so that may bias my judgment a bit.

Ride is incredible considering the price/manufacturer. Pretty quiet overall. Motor is a little noisy. Could stand a bit more power, I have the 2.4 and it's pretty embarrassingly slow.

But for what it is - a smallish car that gets reasonable fuel economy and can carry QUITE a lot, it does well.
It is not wide, I had to fold one of the rear seats to carry my rifles but we managed to bring 2 mosin nagants, a shotgun, 2 very large duffle/range bags, a box of clays, 2 garbage bags filled with water bottles, and a rem 700 without much issue.

If you'd like to check it out, go for a ride, drive it or whatever, let me know! Also, I have a $500 coupon for Courtesy Chevrolet too if you do get interested. :)

mur
12-15-2007, 3:39 PM
My only gripe about that place is gas prices. My Suburban drinks the gas up going up that hill. If I could figure out how to pack a few rifles on my Harley I'd be going up there more often....

Next time you wanna go, let me know, I'll split the gas with ya:)