View Full Version : expensive problem help!!!!!

11-17-2007, 9:16 PM
ok... i bought a hesse .308 lower a few years back with a fixed mag (by fixed i mean a hole drilled through the front of the receiver into the mag and pined) that mag was a dpms mag. so i knocked that on out and began my build. so i put in an armalite parts kit and then a mmg. i ordered an armalite upper and slapped it on....i used armalite mags and had feeding problems. the mag sat too low and the bolt would push the bullets into the magwell 1/4 inch below the feed ramp so they never made it up into the chamber.....if you follow that? so i asked a guy at the gun store who had built a hesse on armalite and he told me to give it to a gunsmith that fixed his. the gunsmith said to give him the upper and he would machine it to accept dpms mags, so i gave him the upper and he did that. i put the upper back on my lower and what do you know dpms mags dont fit in my mag well....weird seeing as i pounded one out in the first place!!!!!!!! so i just wanna shoot the damn thing already....any help please?????? oh and i know hesse sucks but like i said i got it a few years ago when all the hype of oll started....thanks. what the hell do i do with a armalite machined to fit dpms???

11-17-2007, 9:34 PM
nobody told you that the 308 AR parts are not interchangeable and 100% compatible like the 223 AR... sad but true. Not much you can do- sell the parts you don;t want, and buy compatible parts to complete your build.

11-17-2007, 9:56 PM
Do you have a picture? What mod did your smith do to the upper?
Why not mod the magazine to sit higher? Is this the same mag you knocked out?
Mine Armalite magazine sat too high. The bolt was touching the steel follower.

11-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Why o why would anyone mangle a nice in-spec Armalite upper?

Work on the Hesse lower

11-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Do you have a picture? What mod did your smith do to the upper?

There are two "stop shelves" in an armalite upper that stop the upward travel of an AR-10 mag.
The length of the front of the mag is shorter on AR-10 mags compared to DPMS mags as DPMS mags have two folded corners in the front that retain the follower, much like an AR-15 mag does.

In order to use a DPMS mag in an ARMALITE upper, you remove these two shelves as a DPMS 308 mag will reliably stop against the mag catch.
Armalite AR-10 mags don't have that area below the mag catch slot pushed out like AR-15 mags and DPMS 308 mags.

11-18-2007, 12:02 AM
in other words, take it to Randall and he will fix it for you (for a fee ofcourse):D

11-18-2007, 1:22 AM
You can open up the inside of your magwell with some sandpaper wrapped around a wooden stick. When you get the mag working, the gun MAY work properly. Hesse made the magazine catches a bit too low regardless of which upper you use. You may need to carefully bend the feed lips of your magazine up a bit to raise the bullet in the magazine.

11-18-2007, 3:55 AM
Yeah, work with it a bit - you will be surprised at what can happen. I agree wholeheartedly with the consensus on here that taking it to someone & paying for it to be fixed, or taking it to a gunsmith & paying $$ is the ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT.

11-18-2007, 7:40 AM
take it to Randall and he will fix it for you

I don't want any of hesse's problems in my shop.
Please don't bring it to me.

11-18-2007, 8:12 AM

11-18-2007, 11:33 AM
The first two Armalite mags I used fed OK. I bought four more after I installed a bullet-button and found that the newer mags caused the same problem as yongblood7 experienced. For some reason the followers are different. My original mags (shown on the right) have two anti tilt bumps in the front corners.
Without these there is a tendency for the ammo to tilt downward. Because the Armalite mags fit loosely in the magwell there is a tendency for the mag to tilt in the magwell. The tilt in follower added to the tilt of the mag causes feeding problems. I got the four newer mags to feed by shimming the backside of the mag. I am sorry you mangled your upper. :(

11-18-2007, 12:15 PM
ok so on the upper those "shelves" were ground off and the feed ramp exagerated..im working on getting some pics up by the end of the day....

so i did also go at the lower with a file myself and the inside of the magwel that im working on just seems already so paper thin....

if i get a new lower and want to use my machined armalite upper what kind of lower would i need?

the dpms mag that was pinned was mangled after i knocked it out its the the same dpms im trying to use in it now.

post pics soon!!!!!!!!!

11-18-2007, 3:12 PM
i cant insert any picks!!!!!!! im about to shoot my computer!

11-18-2007, 4:20 PM
check out page 15, it shows the difference between a real hesse upper and an armalite upper. it should help you out on your fitting issues.