PDA

View Full Version : demill my parts kit.

inda_bebe
11-17-2007, 4:56 PM
is there anyone who i can pay to demill my romy parts kit?

tlillard23
11-17-2007, 4:57 PM
where are you? How much do you want to pay?

ElCUBANO
11-17-2007, 5:44 PM
Where are you and what method are you using on your build rivets,screws or U drive screws. By the way I have sets of U drive screws for sale. Includes the rivets for the trunnion.

inda_bebe
11-18-2007, 1:07 AM
im located in orange county. how much would you guys be willing to charge to demill? i dont want to ask sal, cause he's real busy w/ other stuff.

thedonger
11-18-2007, 1:32 AM
where are you? How much do you want to pay?

I also have two kits that need demilling. But would LIKE to pay nothing to have someone do it for me, but I'm sure $0 would not get me many takers.

How much time does it take for someone who knows what they are doing to demill a kit? 2 or 3 hours? Would $30 each kit be a fair estimate? :confused:

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 7:47 AM
Why not just do it yourself?
Several websites show how to do it and it gives you a reason to buy more tools.
It's never a bad thing to own more tools.

inda_bebe
11-18-2007, 8:15 AM
i started shaving off the rivets, but all i have is a dremel and i only stay in a one bedroom apt.

thedonger
11-18-2007, 9:33 AM
I probably have most of the tools but its more of a time thing for me.

If the price is $100 per kit then I'll do it myself, but for less it might be worth it.

but inda_bebe started the idea I'm just also interested.

M. Sage
11-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I also have two kits that need demilling. But would LIKE to pay nothing to have someone do it for me, but I'm sure $0 would not get me many takers.

How much time does it take for someone who knows what they are doing to demill a kit? 2 or 3 hours? Would $30 each kit be a fair estimate? :confused:

IMO, you should be able to de-mill a kit in about an hour. I've only done one, though... but that first one took me about an hour and a half.

It's not hard. It's really easy. A drill, a vise, a hammer and a punch... And some Kroil.

inda_bebe
11-18-2007, 10:58 AM
I probably have most of the tools but its more of a time thing for me.

If the price is $100 per kit then I'll do it myself, but for less it might be worth it.

but inda_bebe started the idea I'm just also interested.

since you have most of the tools, we should get together and try it out. i also have two kits that need to be demilled.

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 11:28 AM

I'll do it for $100. :D

savageevo
11-19-2007, 11:12 PM
its not as easy as what people think. one broken drill bit in the trunion could set you back another two hours trying to get that damn drill bit out. I think 100 dollars is fair if complete demilling would be done. Including removing the rivits from the barrel trunion (removing the barrel from the trunion, removing the old rivits from the trunion, even tapping the holes for a screw build. then reinstalling barrel and head spacing.)

m24armorer
11-19-2007, 11:37 PM
And what receiver are you going to use?

inda_bebe
11-20-2007, 6:01 AM
just from a flat. i could demill, its just the tools needed is what i dont have.

AJAX22
11-20-2007, 7:49 AM
The fastest way to demil (that I've seen, didn't do it myself) is to use an air chisle to chop the heads off of the rivits on the front and rear trunions while its held in a vise.

Then take an angle grinder and grind the rivits on the triggerguard from the inside of the receiver.

pressing the barrel out will allow you to knock all the rivits out of the front trunion with a centerpunch.

The rear trunion will need to be chucked up in a dril press and the rivits will need to be slowly drilled through with a small drillbit (lots of cutting oil, just a litle bit at a time and clear your shavings by fliping it over periodically and tapping them out of the hole.

once drilled through you can easily knock the rivits through with a long punch.

I demilled a few kits using my dremel back in the day, it took me a day or so each and was a real pain in the hindquarters.

having the correct tools makes life alot easier.

FEDUPWBS
11-20-2007, 8:24 AM
What AJAX22 said;)

The fastest way to demil (that I've seen, didn't do it myself) is to use an air chisle to chop the heads off of the rivits on the front and rear trunions while its held in a vise.

Then take an angle grinder and grind the rivits on the triggerguard from the inside of the receiver.

pressing the barrel out will allow you to knock all the rivits out of the front trunion with a centerpunch.

The rear trunion will need to be chucked up in a dril press and the rivits will need to be slowly drilled through with a small drillbit (lots of cutting oil, just a litle bit at a time and clear your shavings by fliping it over periodically and tapping them out of the hole.

once drilled through you can easily knock the rivits through with a long punch.

I demilled a few kits using my dremel back in the day, it took me a day or so each and was a real pain in the hindquarters.

having the correct tools makes life alot easier.

resistor
11-20-2007, 9:00 AM
I will demil kits for $25 plus shipping. PM if interested.

ar15barrels
11-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I will demil kits for $25 plus shipping.

Whew.
I got out of de-milling AK kits. :D

PLINK
11-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Contact Creator0203 on AKFiles.

He tapped a few kit for me. I did most of the demill myself and sent him the front trunnion w/ barrel attached and rear trunnion. They came back in the same condition I sent them in. Anyway, he will completely demill a kits.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15507

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15518

inda_bebe
11-21-2007, 7:22 AM
I will demil kits for $25 plus shipping. PM if interested.

hey, reistor. i sent you a PM'd help about demilling. it shouldnt be much, just the front trunnion

resistor
11-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Pm'd back at ya...

valleyrat
11-21-2007, 8:07 PM
Actually, with the right tools demilling a kit can be a very fun and rewarding experience. There is no more gratifying sound than that damn barrel pin breaking free from its hellish grip. Thanks to FEDUP for letting me use said tools!

m335i
11-21-2007, 9:27 PM
PM me! I was thinking about offering a service like this. I pretty much have all of Ak-Builder's tools which makes things so much easier but are so damn expensive. I kind of enjoy demilling and wouldnt mind making a little money back for the tools I bought. Just ordered a mini mill too which will work a lot better than my cheap drill press.

Things I can do:
Press out barrel pin and barrel
Remove torched/cut receiver from trunnions
Remove all old rivets from front/rear trunnions, trigger guard, etc
Maybe more, just ask

Basically your kit will be ready to be built. I do not do tapping for screw builds and can not work on completed (bent) receivers. I also make alignment marks on the trunnion and barrel so that you can line them up when installing the barrel. Creator over at akfiles does a complete demill for $60 + return shipping but I can do it for less. Im sometimes in the OC area during the weekends too so let me know.

FEDUPWBS
11-21-2007, 9:41 PM
You can do it for less but I can do it faster. Ill race anyone on a demill competetion. After 35 demills in 2 days you couldnt pay me to demill a kit! Did I mention I hate rear trunnions?

swift
11-21-2007, 10:04 PM
if someone takes you up on a competition, I'd be happy to provide the kit....

thedrickel
11-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Did I mention I hate rear trunnions?

Yeah, you hate them enough to leave them for me to do :kest:

FEDUPWBS
11-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Yeah, you hate them enough to leave them for me to do :kest:

Best decision I ever made. THANKS cause I HATE rear trunnions! Oh yea heres thedrickel demilling rear trunnions. Hes the one with the leg on the work bench!
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/fedupwbs/buildparty11-17001.jpg

thedrickel
11-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Leg on the work bench . . . 6c chinese drill bit . . . how else am I supposed to get the long rivets out?

Sal
11-22-2007, 11:58 AM
those long rivets are a heck of a lot easier to get out if you have a decent drill press...

If you want i'll show you how on monday when you come to bend your flats indabebe

inda_bebe
11-22-2007, 12:22 PM
sal, i have 2 kits.

ketec_owner
11-28-2007, 8:54 PM
Those long rivets are easier if you start them with a tapered drill bit then follow through with a regular drill bit. A drill press vise helps.