PDA

View Full Version : FRONT END PISTOL GRIP HHEEELLLPPPP!!!!!!

myar15
11-16-2007, 9:26 PM
TGIF CALGUNNERS!!!!

Heres the deal stopped by the best gun store in the world tonight (irvington arms, fremont). Picked up the sickest Spikes tactical painted lower. Glanced through the beautiful selection saw the front end pistol grip said ILL TAKE IT.

After a few near death experiences thank god I made it home in 1 piece.

Pulled out my baby beauty (CMMG Lower/Upper Medcon 16', CAA Stock, UMG Front End, M1 rear BUIS, SureFire Tactical rail mount light) and ATTEMTED TO SLIDE ON MY SOG FORWARD PISTOL GRIP. Push/Pounded it on from the barrel end and just got it over the first couple of picatinnys. HOW IN THE H*LL do u get these things on. I tried with all my weight and I real :43:ly dont want to ruin something by pounding. CAN U GUYS HELP ME!!!!

SFFRONTMAN
11-16-2007, 9:29 PM
Some railed handguards (I assume you meant UTG) have a much tighter fit than others. I had a forend grip that was tight like yours was on my yhm rail. Rather than pound it onto my gun with a mallet, I just lightly sanded the plastic portion of the grip, and now it slides on easily. Just try that and you shouldn't have a problem.

tenpercentfirearms
11-17-2007, 4:29 AM
Did you losen and remove the screws or whatever else holds the pistol grip onto the lower? Sorry, I had to ask.

maxicon
11-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Some VFGs, like the Tango Down, have a reputation for being very tight fits - there's a lot of discussion out there about this.

You can check whether your rail is in spec if you have a micrometer by comparing the rail width against the Picatinny M1913 spec drawing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail

It doesn't take much variation in either the rail width or the VFG groove width to go from too tight to too loose.

I'd be very interested in hearing what your rail measures out to.

psriley
11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Don't know if it'll work with a VG, but in the past I've boiled rail covers and other stuff in water for a few minutes to make them slightly pliable. You end up a very tight part-to-rail fit.

Pryde
11-17-2007, 2:25 PM
VFG's should be tight. With use they'll wear, heat up and loosen up--if they don't break.

As far as I'm concerned they're pretty much unnecessary.

They're pretty useful for auto or burst fire..........or if you want to look tacticool :rolleyes:

DedEye
11-18-2007, 1:37 AM
They're pretty useful for auto or burst fire..........or if you want to look tacticool :rolleyes:

That or they're just more comfortable to hold for some of us.

Isn't UTG an airsoft company? Could the rails be out of spec?

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 7:44 AM
Isn't UTG an airsoft company?
Could the rails be out of spec?

Yes.
Certainly a possibility.

DedEye
11-18-2007, 8:18 AM
Yes.
Certainly a possibility.

Given this gem of a thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=72730) (I thought it was the same OP) I'd say it's more than a possibility.

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Given this gem of a thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=72730) (I thought it was the same OP) I'd say it's more than a possibility.

I had (thankfully) forgotten about that thread.
Looks like the guy did indeed get an excellent mil-spec product and everyone else paying $200 for rails that are actually in-spec are just wasting their money... :rolleyes:

This one was only $60 , it looks awesome and it is ROCK SOLID.
Why would I even bother spending $200 more on something im just going to mount a tactical light to?

this item is mil-spec unit and was designed for ar15's, NOT AIRSOFT!

Looks like he has now answered his own question. :)
The reason people pay $200 more is so that things will fit on the rail. :D

DedEye
11-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I had (thankfully) forgotten about that thread.
Looks like the guy did indeed get an excellent mil-spec product and everyone else paying $200 for rails that are actually in-spec are just wasting their money... :rolleyes:

Looks like he has now answered his own question. :)
The reason people pay $200 more is so that things will fit on the rail. :D

I couldn't forget a gem of a thread like that, and given the title and - ahem, enthusiastic - capitalization of the thread, expected the same from this one.