PDA

View Full Version : Performance: AR vs. AK = Better???

slambo
11-16-2007, 8:32 PM
I am new to calguns, just built my first Stag lower, will be receiving my Stag upper in 10 days. I work with foreign cars in Dana Point, one of the guys is very pro AK. I am under the impression that the AR is better, more durable. Is this correct? Any and all information would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Steve

bobfried
11-16-2007, 8:38 PM
It's all relative.

Some say that the AK is flawless out of the box and will function after the cockroaches die out.

Some say that the AR is much more accurate and is a rifleman's choice in ergonomics, handling, speed and redundantly, accuracy.

To quote a firearms historian and than paraphrase him:

"If I were to be stuck on an unknown planet with no hope of help or resupply give me an AK! For the other times when I'm not, give me an AR."

But this is America so we do what we have always done: BUY BOTH!

And this is MY QUOTE, from ME:

Don't be the fool to think he has the best, be the man to have what's best for the situation.

Sam Hainn
11-16-2007, 8:41 PM
The FAL is better. :D

ghost
11-16-2007, 8:45 PM
imo for accuracy the ar hands down,for durability in all conditions the ak.i bet some folks will disagree with me,oh well:D

viras
11-16-2007, 8:45 PM
It's all relative.

Some say that the AK is flawless out of the box and will function after the cockroaches die out.

Some say that the AR is much more accurate and is a rifleman's choice in ergonomics, handling, speed and redundantly, accuracy.

To quote a firearms historian and than paraphrase him:

"If I were to be stuck on an unknown planet with no hope of help or resupply give me an AK! For the other times when I'm not, give me an AR."

But this is America so we do what we have always done: BUY BOTH!

And this is MY QUOTE, from ME:

Don't be the fool to think he has the best, be the man to have what's best for the situation.

:iagree: +1 to what he said. :iagree:

My humble opinion: The AK is more durable and can operate under the worst conditions, but you sacrifice accuracy because of it's design. The AR on the other hand is more accurate and needs more TLC, but you sacrifice durability and functionality in varying conditions.

See this video for further explanation: M16 vs AK47 Muzzle Kickback (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0)

Another video, not as good: Click ME (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqaeX2KigSc&NR=1)

And finally: The # 1 Combat Rifle according to Discovery Channel :gunsmilie: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvrG4T2K4sE)

PistolPete75
11-16-2007, 8:57 PM
accuracy, definitely ar. dependability, definitely ak.

apbrian112
11-16-2007, 9:43 PM
pretty much what all the other guys said... i loved my m16a4, and then my m4, both with m203 launchers attached (plus other cool things) but i also kept a ak47 that i chopped the stock off of to keep as my turret gun on my HMMWV (scout truck/turtle back)... i maintained my m16/4 religiously while in the big sand box and it never failed me.
as far as civilian use, i have 3 ar's and no ak's... don't know why... guess i have a higher regard for ar's than ak's.
shooting is shooting... have fun with it!

God Bless The Mauser
11-16-2007, 9:51 PM
AR is definately more accurate but the AK can be pretty accurate too they just are not known for it like the AR. AK is more dependable, simpler and easier to maintain.

I love my AK. It has never jammed due to the gun but the cheap mag I bought keeps jamming...you get what you pay for I guess... time to get some nice mags for it and then it will probably never jam. I still have to build my M4gery but I know I'll love that just as much as the AK.

MobCounty
11-16-2007, 9:56 PM
Check out the vid on youtube. ar vs. ak.. it will put everything into perspective. Although I could sum it up for ya pretty quickly, AR = Precision ; AK = Raw Firepower.

PolishMike
11-16-2007, 10:02 PM
How much to change two torn CV boots (both on the passenger front axle) on an 06 sti?

Calguns discount? haha

ghost
11-16-2007, 10:05 PM
How much to change two torn CV boots (both on the passenger front axle) on an 06 sti?

Calguns discount? haha

:offtopic: :shrug:

bigthaiboy
11-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Comparing the two is like comparing a BMW to a Willys Jeep. Get you work mate to take you out shooting and try his AK, you might just like it. It's a bigger round so expect slightly more recoil than a .223, but it's still tame by .308 standards.

I think that they are different enough to justify buying both.

11-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Just as others have said, they are two different guns. Solution is to buy both and have fun shooting them.

Prc329
11-16-2007, 10:34 PM
The AR on the other hand is more accurate and needs more CLP, but you sacrifice durability and functionality in varying conditions.

There I fixed it for ya.

Keep a bottle of clp near buy and the AR will run flawless. Normally from my personal experience. Any problem, lube the bolt carrier. I never really had any issues but this helped with the one issue I had.

AR will be more accurate and the AK will probably be more durable. If SHFT happens to be honest I would reach for my M14 then my AR. I'll add an AK so if I was to get stuck in Afghanistan or get shipped back to Africa I could scavenge for ammo.

hoozaru
11-16-2007, 10:35 PM
it doesn't matter. A serious gun lover should get both and shoot the crap out of them, then form ur own opinion in years to come.

davedog665
11-16-2007, 10:37 PM
under the impression that the AR is better

well then get the ar

Both will do the job. no need to get down to brass tacks if its for fun there both fun if its for shtf ne thing that goes bang will b good.

savasyn
11-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Get two of each!!

Whaaat? Doesn't everyone do that?

Oh wait, I have three ARs... :cool2:

jandmtv
11-17-2007, 12:26 AM
i have 1 of each, and love them both for different reasons. but if my life were on the line, i would grab the ak in a heartbeat over the ar, because i know, no matter what when i pull that trigger, it will go bang. but for target shooting and hunting, ar hands down, you got to love the precision of ar, im a surgeon with mine.

Addax
11-17-2007, 1:02 AM
The FAL is better. :D

Gotta Love the FAL rifle. :D

Addax
11-17-2007, 1:06 AM
Between the AR and AK variants, my overall favorite rifle to shoot is the AK74 (just the standard 74 model).

It has good performance, it is accurate (maybe not as accurate as the AR), but enough to get the job done IMHO.

If you shoot both, you will see it will boil down to preference.

C.G.
11-17-2007, 1:19 AM
AK = the part of the world that lost. Enough said.

bigthaiboy
11-17-2007, 1:36 AM
Between the AR and AK variants, my overall favorite rifle to shoot is the AK74 (just the standard 74 model).

It has good performance, it is accurate (maybe not as accurate as the AR), but enough to get the job done IMHO.

If you shoot both, you will see it will boil down to preference.

I would build a 74 in a heartbeat, if the darn parts kits were not so pricey.

Addax
11-17-2007, 2:08 AM
I would build a 74 in a heartbeat, if the darn parts kits were not so pricey.

Yeah, I know...

I recently picked up a new kit from Ohio Rapid Fire with the wood furniture for over $350 shipped...

Then you have to get the receiver, all the 922r compliance parts, have it put together (or do it yourself), refinish the rifle etc.

Rob454
11-17-2007, 6:01 AM
imo for accuracy the ar hands down,for durability in all conditions the ak.i bet some folks will disagree with me,oh well:D

I agree.

762cavalier
11-17-2007, 6:13 AM
comparing apples to oranges.

Oswald2001
11-17-2007, 6:39 AM
Get an AK74 first. They have...by far...the lowest overall cost.

Especially when you take into account several thousand rounds of ammo.

The cost savings of 5.45 vs. 5.56 will PAY FOR A 'FREE' AK74 after only a few thousand rounds.

Shoot 8K-10K rounds of 5.45 and keep reading and watching. You will soon find what platform you prefer and what works best for you.

In a situation where it counts, if you can't hit the target with an AK74, you will probably not be able to hit it with any rifle.

If you are looking for real precision shots...get a bolt action .308 and handload.

tiger222
11-17-2007, 7:37 AM
I would get the "in between" model ~ the SIG556. It allows for AK reliability and AR precision. There was some dust test conducted in europe and only two rifles passed, the AK and SIG 55X.

Plus the 556 uses Stanag M16/AR15 magazine, has a wonderful trigger and is fun to shoot. Never was a big AK fan, and I love AR's, but the 556 is something special and very underated imho.

Next to HK's the Sig platform is my favorite.

In a supported situation, my fav is the HK 33 platform.

TopGun2000
11-17-2007, 8:03 AM
I would get the "in between" model ~ the SIG556. It allows for AK reliability and AR precision. There was some dust test conducted in europe and only two rifles passed, the AK and SIG 55X.

Plus the 556 uses Stanag M16/AR15 magazine, has a wonderful trigger and is fun to shoot. Never was a big AK fan, and I love AR's, but the 556 is something special and very underated imho.

Next to HK's the Sig platform is my favorite.

In a supported situation, my fav is the HK 33 platform.

+1 on .223 w/ AK platform.

a story about Saiga 223 accuracy :

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=16826&hl=

Our department recently approved our Officers to carry .223 patrol rifles in their vehicles instead of or along with the shotgun. I was able to get the Saiga approved due to the price of most AR-15's. I bought mine and fumbled my way through the conversion process and ended up with what I thought was a decent rifle. I torture tested the rifle over several months. It is my experience as the armorer for my department that Officers tend to treat their weapons like a lawn mower. Use the heck out of it and throw it back in the shed. I fired over 3 cases of ammunition through it without so much as oiling it just kept on shooting. Every now and then I would stick my finger in there and wipe off the feed ramp but that is hardly what I call a good cleaning.
Back to my point. Last month we had our patrol rifle qualification. The qualification course starts at the 100 yd line then the shooter has to run through a move and shoot course. There are several different barracades to shoot from and several targets. The course is a 30 round course with 2 required magazine changes. Two runs through the course required for qualification. I qualified with my SWAT M-16 (10" barrel) equipped with a C-More A-Tac sight. I then qualified with my Bushmaster modular carbine also equiped with a C-More A-Tac. I did very well with both. I had no misses and my times were among the fastest in the department. I then pulled out my used and abused Saiga with no optics out of my trunk. A sling is required due to a required transistion to handgun at the end so I took some webbing material (old belt and duct tape) and made an improvised sling. I then ran the course with the Saiga. I not only hit the targets every time but my groups were just as tight as they were with the two previous rifles. I also beat my previous times by about 6 to 10 seconds.
I saw the other Officers that were qualifying with their purchased Saigas and was impressed by their scores so that prompted me to try mine. My poor little abused green monster has earned a place in my cruiser. I challenge anyone to shoot 3 cases of ammunition through an AR-15 without cleaning it. I still love my Eugene Stoner creations but for the price (mine was $250.00 when I bought it, then another $150 in the parts to convert it) and simplicity the Saiga is hard to beat.

Diablo
11-17-2007, 8:16 AM
AK = the part of the world that lost. Enough said.

Well said...:D

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu10.htm

http://www.ak-47.us/AK-47vsM-16.php

Ak47owner
11-17-2007, 2:39 PM
test it for yourself throw some sand in to your ar a see if it will fire and rechamber a round i guarente that it wont now do the same with a ak it will ive tryed this test BUT AR hands down for accuracy, reliablity not even close of that of the akm47

Prc329
11-17-2007, 4:12 PM
One thing people keep forgetting is none of us will probably ever use our weapons in Iraq so reliability in extreme conditions is a moot point. I have never seen a sand storm at Angeles shooting range.

We buy these guns because they are cool and fun to shoot, not because we are defending our war lord.

ar15barrels
11-17-2007, 4:41 PM
One thing people keep forgetting is none of us will probably ever use our weapons in Iraq so reliability in extreme conditions is a moot point. I have never seen a sand storm at Angeles shooting range.

We buy these guns because they are cool and fun to shoot, not because we are defending our war lord.

Shhhh, don't piss in the mall ninja's wheaties...