PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor range in NorCal?

909 in 916
11-16-2007, 6:06 PM
Hey guys, what outdoor ranges have you been to and how would you rate it? I've been to a few indoor ranges here in Sac/Vacaville area and am contemplating going out to the range in Rancho Cordova this weekend but if there's a better one then I'll make the drive if it's not too far.

Anyone ever been to Cordova Shooting Center in Rancho Cordova? How did you like the facility? How does it stack up against other outdoor ranges you've been to? Since it's outdoors, what kind of targets are you shooting at?

Shane916
11-16-2007, 6:11 PM
Cordova is way run down :)

They only have fixed 100/25 yard for rifles. Handgun is like fixed 15/25 yard.

http://www.cordovashootingcenter.com/

Sac Valley Shooting Center is supposed to a very nice facility. A little farther out from Cordova but I hear it's worth it.

http://www.sacvalley.org/

Pthfndr
11-16-2007, 6:45 PM
Definitely Sac Valley. If nothing else, at least there you won't have to chain your guns to the bench when you go down range to keep them from being stolen.

gwl
11-16-2007, 7:06 PM
Go with Sac Valley. It's a very nice range.

909 in 916
11-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Sac Valley it is. I'd much rather go to a nice range than one that's downtrodden. The drive from my house to Sloughouse isn't much more of a drive than it would have been to Cordova Shooting Center so it's a no brainer.

As for the pistol range, it says 50 yards, does that mean my only target is going to be 50 yds away? If so, that's a deal breaker. My gun is for HD only so I don't see the practicality in practicing shooting at distances I'll likely never encounter in real life considering the overwhelming HD shootings happen well within 15 yds.

Shane916
11-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Good question. I would imagine they have them closer then 50 yards but I have yet to visit their so I am of no help otherwise suggesting calling them :)

(916) 354-9668

909 in 916
11-17-2007, 2:29 PM
Good question. I would imagine they have them closer then 50 yards but I have yet to visit their so I am of no help otherwise suggesting calling them :)

(916) 354-9668Well there's a concept:o

I took your advice and gave them a buzz. My call was answered by a very helpful lady who informed me I can set targets at 7, 15, 25, and 50 yds. It was about 2 when I called and as we were getting off the phone she said "just make sure if you plan on coming out today that you get here soon cause we close at 4 and want to make sure that you have plenty of time to shoot."

I like that place already.

Noypi916
11-17-2007, 10:48 PM
+1 for Sac Valley. Here's a view of the place. :)

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/mantizzzz/EdshootingM4425yds.jpg

909 in 916
11-18-2007, 8:10 AM
+1 for Sac Valley. Here's a view of the place. :)

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/mantizzzz/EdshootingM4425yds.jpgThanks for the picture man, nice looking place. Is the handgun range setup like that as well?

Noypi916
11-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Yes it's almost the same up to 50 yrds.

909 in 916
11-19-2007, 5:45 PM
Yes it's almost the same up to 50 yrds.So it's got the table and what not like pictured? That's pretty sweet. I'm assuming there's a RO who announces when it's safe to go down range to look at/change your target, etc?

Pthfndr
11-19-2007, 8:39 PM
So it's got the table and what not like pictured? That's pretty sweet. I'm assuming there's a RO who announces when it's safe to go down range to look at/change your target, etc?

The concrete benches are only on the rifle side. The pistol range has a long continuous wood bench with each shooting position seperated by a wood partition and wire mesh screen.

Target stands and movable bases are supplied. You get one free target with your range fee.

There is also a .22 rimfire plinking range to the right of the pistol range. There are steel targets to shoot there - it's not a bring your own junk plinking range.

There's also a 300 yard rifle range available to the public. But before you can use it you must prove you can put rounds on paper at 100 yards. Range staff will fill you in on that if you ask.

There is a RO in a booth between the rifle and pistol ranges. Cease fires are called approximately every 15 minutes.

During a cease fire - STAY BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE (except to go down range to to check/replace your target) AND DO NOT APPROACH THE BENCH!

There is NOTHING you can't do with out till the range is declared hot. There's always some idiot who just HAS to go get something off the bench by his gun and gets yelled at.

sargenv
11-19-2007, 9:13 PM
If you don't mind going the other direction, Yolo Sportsmen assn out by the Yolo county airport is also nice. I think the hours there are 9-4 on weekends, and they might also be open mid week. The Sac range and Yolo are the only regulated outdoor ranges I can reccommend within a short drive of Sac/Vacaville.

909 in 916
11-19-2007, 9:16 PM
If you don't mind going the other direction, Yolo Sportsmen assn out by the Yolo county airport is also nice. I think the hours there are 9-4 on weekends, and they might also be open mid week. The Sac range and Yolo are the only regulated outdoor ranges I can reccommend within a short drive of Sac/Vacaville.I don't mind at all, matter of fact I'll probably hit up both places. I'll do a google search and see what I can find about that place. Thanks for the heads up.

**edit**
Ah, it's in Davis, which is about a 15-20 minute drive from my house. And it's only $7 too!

Noypi916
11-19-2007, 9:22 PM
The concrete benches are only on the rifle side. The pistol range has a long continuous wood bench with each shooting position seperated by a wood partition and wire mesh screen.

Target stands and movable bases are supplied. You get one free target with your range fee.

There is also a .22 rimfire plinking range to the right of the pistol range. There are steel targets to shoot there - it's not a bring your own junk plinking range.

There's also a 300 yard rifle range available to the public. But before you can use it you must prove you can put rounds on paper at 100 yards. Range staff will fill you in on that if you ask.

There is a RO in a booth between the rifle and pistol ranges. Cease fires are called approximately every 15 minutes.

During a cease fire - STAY BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE (except to go down range to to check/replace your target) AND DO NOT APPROACH THE BENCH!

There is NOTHING you can't do with out till the range is declared hot. There's always some idiot who just HAS to go get something off the bench by his gun and gets yelled at.

Well said. Getting yelled on the overhead speaker is no fun. Some RO is also walking around to approach you. But they are cool though.

emc002
11-20-2007, 8:37 AM
Sac Valley is great, it's only 40 minutes from my house, but I haven't taken an OLL there yet (I have access to thousands of acres of private property for that), but if I wanted to, anyone have experiences there - positive or negative?

Vepr62
11-20-2007, 9:27 AM
They ARE OLL friendly. But if you shoot rapid fire you'll get yelled at. Guess how I know? And 300 yards has no RO, but people that shoot there adhere to safety regulations and call ceaze/resume fire at everybodies convenience. I try to shoot there late afternoons, with usually 1-2 other shooters, or even by myself.
Vasiliy

sargenv
11-20-2007, 9:35 AM
Well, not actually IN Davis.. but close enough ;) It's entertaining to watch the skydivers pop their chutes to the left of the rifle range and float down to the right of the rifle range. I've heard stories about a helmet dropping out of the sky ahead of the skydiver that had an errant landing ON the range :kest:

jeffrice6
11-20-2007, 3:55 PM
You could always look at Spenceville. Its back behind Camp Far West, outside of Sheridan. Is free and no range nazis, your fellow shooters call it cold/hot. The only rule is you're to shoot paper & clay targets exclusively.

rue
12-06-2007, 7:15 PM
I don't think the Rancho range is that bad. I never had a problem there. I usually piss off the hunters setting up their scopes when I take my SKS there. I see people shooting OLL there so I think that's fine. I've NEVER had any theft problems there. I do see thugs looking people shooting there from time to time and that's annoying. You get the same morons approaching the bench there to during cease fire. The targets are pretty cheap. My only real complaint is they raised the prices twice in the last couple years and I don't think they are taking the extra money and improving the range. It looks pretty beat up.