PDA

View Full Version : SVT40 or Romak3 PSL in 7.62x54r ?

mcubed4130
11-16-2007, 4:08 PM
It's almost that time of year... when I need to deliver the "want" list for the upcoming season of giving. SO...

I'm thinking it's time to add a semi-auto 7.62x54r firearm:

The only 2 that come to mind; that I seem to be able to find for sale is either the SVT40 or Romak3 PSL.

Opinions? I'm a big time WHY guy, so please convince me...

Also I have a TON of 7.62x54r light ball for my Mosin's so either option must be in 7.62 x 54r.

Or am I being silly; and I should look into other 7.62x54r guns?

-M3

NOTE: I am a FFL03 holder; so getting the SVT40 sent to my door with no waiting; no transfer; etc... is good; but I tend to see these guns going for ~$900, whereas I see the PSL going for as low as ~$700; I am aware that I need to have an outside of CA FFL act as an intermediate; then either do the bullet button or the filled stock; so when all is said and done; the price is about equal - obviously the hassle is much lower with the SVT-40; I've already heard people complain about the PSL barrel being too light and overheats quickly; I am also running corrosive ammo though, and hear the PSL is easier to clean (being an overgrown AK47) than the SVT-40 is.

Wyatt
11-16-2007, 4:29 PM
I'd go for the SVT40 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SVT-40 for the historical value.

Full Clip
11-16-2007, 4:37 PM
They will cost about the same... but there are no compliance issues with the SVT-40, and there is, as pointed out, solid historical/collector value.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/981624/finished-full.jpg
That said, I'd like to get a Romak some day...

Ubergeek
11-16-2007, 4:39 PM
I'm paranoid when it comes to corrosive ammo, and would find it an utter pain to clean the gas system every time I shoot corrosive ammo out of a semi gun.

The SVT40 certainly has the advantage of being more historically significant, but repair parts don't seem too plentiful.

Bucc
11-16-2007, 7:19 PM
I like the lines and history of the SVT but the PSL may be cheaper, easier to maintain and easier to get mags for.
There's compliance issues with the PSL.
The SVT was kinda finicky.
Of course you don't need new mags for the SVT being stripper fed but......
Aw hell, get one of each.

mcubed4130
11-16-2007, 7:45 PM
I like the lines and history of the SVT but the PSL may be cheaper, easier to maintain and easier to get mags for.
There's compliance issues with the PSL.
The SVT was kinda finicky.
Of course you don't need new mags for the SVT being stripper fed but......
Aw hell, get one of each.

My thought exactly (buy both), but I'm thinking I'll only get 1 of the 2 - for now; as my wish list goes to my wife; so when all is said and done; it's still coming out of my paycheck :D

I also added a NOTE: to my original post; giving a bit more info on some of my additional thoughts... in short though; I could go either way... Which is why I'm asking here!

-M3

bobfried
11-16-2007, 8:56 PM
As much as I love the SVT for it's historical value, the PSL is by and far a better rifle. The SVT is finicky at best and can be a pain to repair if it does ever go wrong. It will probably go up in value but so will the PSL in the future. You get a reliable RPK action in the PSL versus the rather complex SVT operating system.

The only two reasons an SVT would enter the equation is it's ability to also shoot 7.62x54r and it's historical value. But those are rather fickle reasoning unless you happen to have an 03FFL and collect C&R like me and many other's on this board. If you don't have a collection of Mausers, Enfields, Mosin's and other oddities than an STV will be out of place in your arsenal. Even if you do, I would still lean toward the PSL. I am also contemplating the choice, but it's sure as heck not between a PSL and an SVT, more like a PSL or shell out the dough for a Tiger/SVD.

Rem1492
11-16-2007, 9:16 PM
Got my SVT for $400 a few years ago, I remember a pomona show when my boss bought 2 at $250 each in 96 or 97. Ahh, shoulda woulda coulda. I did however win a Garand at the door raffle for $5. :) I knew a guy importing the first PSL, FPK series direct from Romania unaltered but they were $4000 each. Luckily these days we can have em for $5-7.

The PSL AND SVT are both gas systems, both will have jam and cleaning issues, the PSL is much easier to clean though. Both are equally hard to get spare parts for. I tore off my SVT extractor so I got another one from Numrich for $5. There are spare parts out there but I wouldn't bet on it. Just watch Heavy Ball ammo. stick to light and it will be fine. The PSL can handle heavy ball but was not designed for it so dont shoot too much of it and get a blackjack recoil buffer.

I say get BOTH, which one first? SVT, it will continue to go higher and higher, PSLs average 5-700$ in swings.

The PSL is a good buy because its cool looking, reliable, has lots of scope options and takes 10rd mags which is ok in CA.

Dont you have to fill the hole in the stock though in CA? something really gay like that to make the rifle less lethal. The deer in TX don't seem to notice whether your stock has a hole in it or a pistol grip or what, they just run regardless.
http://photos.imageevent.com/remy1492/salbostg58/stg58/websize/April2004-%20032.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/remy1492/salbostg58/stg58/websize/April2004-%20031.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/remy1492/salbostg58/stg58/websize/Foto-Jul-2005-%20069.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/remy1492/salbostg58/stg58/websize/IMG_6824.JPG

mcubed4130
11-17-2007, 8:10 AM
...The PSL AND SVT are both gas systems, both will have jam and cleaning issues, the PSL is much easier to clean though.

Good to verify; since the PSL is an overgrown AK, I figured it would be easier to clean.

Both are equally hard to get spare parts for. I tore off my SVT extractor so I got another one from Numrich for $5. There are spare parts out there but I wouldn't bet on it. Just watch Heavy Ball ammo. stick to light and it will be fine. The PSL can handle heavy ball but was not designed for it so dont shoot too much of it and get a blackjack recoil buffer.

My stash of 7.62x54r is only light ball, no heavy (I had heard not to use heavy on the PSL). Now I know I won't touch it at all... :)

...Dont you have to fill the hole in the stock though in CA? something really gay like that to make the rifle less lethal. The deer in TX don't seem to notice whether your stock has a hole in it or a pistol grip or what, they just run regardless.

Preaching to the choir here; but yes. Either fill it like this:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=67319

Or add a bullet button:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=69570

-M3

virulosity
11-17-2007, 9:24 AM
I like my PSL but have always wanted an SVT too. Get 'em both!

mcubed4130
11-18-2007, 9:37 PM
As much as I love the SVT for it's historical value, the PSL is by and far a better rifle. The SVT is finicky at best and can be a pain to repair if it does ever go wrong. It will probably go up in value but so will the PSL in the future. You get a reliable RPK action in the PSL versus the rather complex SVT operating system.

Got more details?

From what I've read the SVT is similar gas system wise to the SKS; I also note the use of a fluted chamber for more reliable extraction; yet I see no mention of chrome-lined chamber or bore, anyone know if SVT40's are chrome lined or not? I also saw something about corrosive ammo - doesn't affect chrome-lining? seems kinda like urban legend to me... but... something to think about I suppose... why would salts not affect chrome? hmm...

Conversely; the Romak3 PSL; says it has a chrome-lined barrel (I assume this is chamber and bore), and operates closely to an AK47. Athough I have read the barrel heats up VERY fast and then it becomes inaccurate - anyone know if a heavy barrel is available?

Also the PSL uses the long-stroke gas-system instead of short and I recall seeing some review comments saying the long-stroke system, made targets father than 400+ yards, near impossible to hit due to some type of shake, but other reviews make no mention of the long-stroke system; being inheritantly in-accurate at long range. Thoughts?

Hmm... now that I'm thinking about it... maybe I don't care if the PSL is accurate at long-range distances or not... this probably a 200 yard or less weapon anyway in my mind. (see more below).

The only two reasons an SVT would enter the equation is it's ability to also shoot 7.62x54r and it's historical value. But those are rather fickle reasoning unless you happen to have an 03FFL and collect C&R like me and many other's on this board. If you don't have a collection of Mausers, Enfields, Mosin's and other oddities than an STV will be out of place in your arsenal.

Hmm... well... I have a FFL03... I have Mosins... but since I started on the 7.62x54r cartridge - I figured I should fill out the collection - before moving onto other cartridges such as 8mm or 303. :) But I'll get there...

The other reason I'm pondering the PSL is... I really don't like the short stubby look of the AK47s... :) But the longer lines of the PSL - I dunno - just look mean, nasty, and evil... a good counter-point to the AR, which is black mean, nasty, and evil. :D

Even if you do, I would still lean toward the PSL. I am also contemplating the choice, but it's sure as heck not between a PSL and an SVT, more like a PSL or shell out the dough for a Tiger/SVD.

I will likely get a SVD as well; they are a C&R after all! :D

Anyone have any more PROs and CONs on PSL vs SVT40?

I'm kinda leaning towards a PSL now... :) Get my AK47 on steriods fix.

-M3

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-18-2007, 9:42 PM
My SVT is not chrome-lined and I believe that is the case for all of them. With an SVT-40 you won't have to do funny things to it to make it CA-Legal as you would with the PSL.

Plus cleaning it ain't really that bad once you get the hang of it (it just takes a few minutes longer). If you shoot corrosive ammunition out of anything you need to clean it soon anyways, so what is a couple of minutes? Just be thankful you're not Ivan inside of Stalingrad that became surprised when he was caught with his gas system in pieces!