PDA

View Full Version : AR in 7.62x39

DeadAhead
11-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Does anyone have one? How do they shoot? What's the consensus?

hitman13
11-16-2007, 10:41 AM
also, can you just use a regular OLL and a 7.62 upper

DeadAhead
11-16-2007, 11:18 AM
also, can you just use a regular OLL and a 7.62 upper

You can use an OLL but I think it has to say "multical" on it.

1064chubbs
11-16-2007, 11:24 AM
You can use any OLL to build a 7.62AR the multical is just for looks mostly. and 7.62 is a very dirty round so they tend to jam if not constantly cleaned

jandmtv
11-16-2007, 11:36 AM
i really wanted a 7.62x39 ar, but i was told by alot of people that the current mags for that round arent too reliable, im still waiting for c products to come out with their new 7.62x39 AR mag and get some feedback from some members so i can buy a upper in that caliber.

Prince50
11-16-2007, 3:55 PM
Here is a post I posted awhile back regarding AR-15s in 7.62 and the magazine issues. Search is your friend.

ARs in 7.62 are great! Very accurate, fun to shoot and darn cool looking with the right mag. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Colt PB reg'd Lightweight sporter in 7.62x39mm. Any lower will work with a 7.62x39mm upper.

Fantastic rifle, never a FTF ever, with any ammo, and the correct USA banana mags.

Wolf does a little gas cutting on the bolt face, cuz the case does not expand around the primer like brass does, but after many thousands of rounds bump firing and single shot, it is still really minor gas cutting.

Mags are an issue. I have the 2 colt mags that came with the rifle...(I guess these are the super rare ones) that will hold 5 rounds without issues. 10 with some issues. Mag related FTF, not rifle issues. Rounds stay compressed in the magazine, and do not travel up enough to get stripped and chambered.

USA made 30 round mags in 2 types. When the world was perfect, and there was no looming fed ban, they made a 30 rounder with their own feed tower, folower, and body. These work great! I have 5 of them and would not sell them for $500 each!

Then as the ban approached, USA started to cut bodies off standard AK mags and weld them to their feed tower, with their standard folower. This did not work well. FTF all the time. The follower does not work in the AK body and thus the mag will not feed correctly till the follower is in the feed tower only. It makes the 30 rounder a 5 rounder.

I have several of these "Franken Mags" awaiting body replacement. as they are darn near useless as is. If I lived in a free state, I would stomp them flat, just for fun. But I need to keep them should I ever get a real USA 30 rounder to "FIX" these ones with.

Standard .223 mags will work as 7-10 rounders with slight mods to the feed lips.

Buy one, and tinker....You will love it.

Darin

Full Clip
11-16-2007, 4:22 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/981624/DSCN0041sm.jpg
My x39 AR: Colt Sporter upper, Stag lower. I went with a BB setup as I just have 10-round mags for it. I have a pair of the USAs, which feed great. I also just use brass-cased ammo with it, at least thus far. I only have about 200 rounds through it. (Picked up some Prvi Partisan from AIM Surplus a while back. Good stuff; copper jacket. I think it was $5.95 a box. Saving the brass...)

DeadAhead
11-16-2007, 10:54 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/981624/DSCN0041sm.jpg

Nice rifle. When funds clear up I would like to invest in one. I also have heard that mags are the main issue they do not feed properly. I did not know C Products are going to make them, interesting.