PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in 100% STEN receivers?

wilit
11-15-2007, 8:31 PM
These would be 100% serialized tubes for $100 or $145 welded to a trigger housing and mag well. The manufacturer appears to be a Class III dealer, and is awaiting ATF approval on these Semi-Auto receivers.

FYI, the STEN is NOT an AW by named list nor by SB23 characteristics so long as you use a T-stock with the hole welded up. Indianapolis Ordnance (http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/sten-mk3.htm) has 16" barrels for $100 and SA bolt kits for $220.

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention, you need to supply the trigger housing and mag well. Hence in my later post you'll notice I included the cost of a complete parts kit in the total for building a complete rifle. Also, like I mentioned earlier, he's still waiting for ATF approval, so it may be a while before they can be ordered.

EDIT #2: Make sure you don't fall into federal SBR constructive possession issues by making sure you have a 16" barrel prior to obtaining a receiver. This can be accomplished by one of 3 methods. The easiest is to buy a 16" barrel from Indianapolis Ordnance (www.indianapolisordnance.com). The cheapest is to weld an extension onto the 10" barrel you get in the parts kit. The last method is to buy an 18" Uzi MINI CARBINE barrel. An A or B model will require much more machine work to get it to work. The Mini Uzi barrel would be a last resort method IMO.

List of those interested:
1. Wilit
2. Stormfeather
3. Lon Moer
4. Michael303
5. Richard
6. Hitman
7. 1064Chubbs
8. IH8CALAWS
9. Tweak338
10. 5968
11. Eckerph
12. Submaniac
13. Robitrocks
14. Mike Searson
15. Savageevo
16. LTMike70
17. DJMan
18. TheMan
19. Kmullen
20. The Finger
21. Diablo
22. Hoop
23. Fast318
24. tlillard23
25. cseabass
26. AfricanHunter
27. JesseXXX
28. Magdump
29. Redhorse

bwiese
11-15-2007, 9:00 PM
Make sure it fires from a closed bolt, and is a different diameter than orig gun/doesn't accept orig open-bolt parts.

Quite a few people have gotten into BATF trouble with tube 9mm gun kits. Make sure the letter the guy has/supplies with kit actually describes what you're receiving.

Stormfeather
11-15-2007, 9:01 PM
Definitely interested!

wilit
11-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Make sure it fires from a closed bolt, and is a different diameter than orig gun/doesn't accept orig open-bolt parts.

Quite a few people have gotten into BATF trouble with tube 9mm gun kits. Make sure the letter the guy has/supplies with kit actually describes what you're receiving.

Yes, these will be the reduced diameter tubes with the cocking channel offset 15 degrees as per BATF requirements. And so long as you use the Indianapolis Ordnance bolt (or the SAS3 bolt) you will have a closed bolt rifle.

RECCE556
11-16-2007, 3:44 AM
The Skeleton style stocks should be good to go, right? Also, on the T-Stock, you really think they could say that that's a "thumbhole". It's very small and not really usable (I've tried). Hmmm, maybe now all those Sten mags I bought in '97 can be put to good use (originally bought them to do a 9mm AR but I ended up getting real Colt 9mm SMG mags in '99...at $60 ea...OUCH.)

Also, I know some people are into "pretty" guns (they cry every time they get a scuff on their POS $400 Model1Sales AR15)...know that the Stens (especially the MKIII's) are CRUDE guns...crude in every sense of the word. Here's a few photos of a demilled/dummy Sten MKIII...oh, and this is the skeleton stock I'm talking about...(also note that a Semi-Auto Sten would need to have a 16" barrel or a 16" barrel extension welded to the original short barrel...a fake suppressor might not look too bad on it...)

Fun gun to shoot though...especially in full auto (Vegas baby!)...

http://www.militaryantiquesmuseum.com/img/Product18263.jpg
http://www.militaryantiquesmuseum.com/img/Product18265.jpg
http://www.militaryantiquesmuseum.com/img/Product18266.jpg
http://www.militaryantiquesmuseum.com/img/Product18264.jpg

Lon Moer
11-16-2007, 6:34 AM
I'm definitely on the interested list.
My Dad is always talking about wishing he had a Sten, it would be kinda cool to build him one.:)

Michael303
11-16-2007, 6:51 AM
I would be interested in one. I’ve always wanted a weapon with a side-feeding magazine. As Bill suggested, I would defiantly need a copy of ATF letter that I can keep with it in case of any questions.

Richard
11-16-2007, 7:02 AM
Count me in for a serialized semi receiver.

bwiese
11-16-2007, 7:03 AM
I would have the skeleton stock filled in or use some kinda solid stock. You don't wanna do 'thumbhole' battles.

Hitman
11-16-2007, 8:12 AM
I'm IN! I want one!
Just PM me when this group buy is ready to roll...I have funds ready!

1064chubbs
11-16-2007, 9:07 AM
if this really goes through count me in.

IH8CALAWS
11-16-2007, 12:11 PM
I would go for one.

Gunaria
11-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Who would DROS this? From their website IO.

http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/images/mk3a-big.jpg

Probably would have to add a 10/32 mag for Cali. If you didn't already have some proir to 2000. I had to type it, because there is always a smart Alec around.:p

tlillard23
11-16-2007, 12:44 PM
so, how much are we talking for a built item?
how hard it it to build?
any gun is cool....

RECCE556
11-16-2007, 3:01 PM
Who would DROS this? From their website IO.

http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/images/mk3a-big.jpg

METROSHOT would DROS this. However, I don't think that IO sells that complete. Ohhh..what's nice is that after the build, Metroshot can Duracoat it too.

Well, looks like I'll need to upgrade my safe...again.

Patriot
11-16-2007, 3:11 PM
Do a lot of people here have preban Sten mags? For those that don't, what options are there?

Tweak338
11-16-2007, 3:40 PM
Add me to the list.
having a sten would be sweet.

Do a lot of people here have preban Sten mags? For those that don't, what options are there?

There is a guy on Arfcom selling 10rnd sten mags.

11-16-2007, 5:21 PM
I think that I would be up for a group buy.

Richard
11-16-2007, 5:47 PM

I have some and some were used for my 9mm ar conversion.

metalhead357
11-16-2007, 10:20 PM
There's some out there that bought mags for dam near everything they could get thier hands on...even for guns never-ever thought would be making it back into cali;)

eckerph
11-16-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm interested.

submaniac
11-16-2007, 11:26 PM
I would buy too. Sten kits ain't that bad in terms of price, the problem is that there weren't alot of "receiver options". Actually, if the manufacture is going to happen, best bet would be to buy your kits now. And KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! :)

bigthaiboy
11-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Which parts kit would you need to use for this new 100% receiver, the Mk2 or MK3? Or does it not matter?

robitrocks
11-17-2007, 9:55 AM
I'm interested, but I'd probably go with a solid wood stock.

Mike Searson
11-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Hell, count me in!

wilit
11-17-2007, 3:14 PM
Wow, a lot more interest than I anticipated. Great.

On a side note, I could've sworn someone on the list had a letter from the CA DOJ regarding the non-AW status of a STEN. Anyone have one?

wilit
11-17-2007, 3:41 PM
Which parts kit would you need to use for this new 100% receiver, the Mk2 or MK3? Or does it not matter?

These will be Mk 3's. Mk 2's have a slightly different trigger housing and mag well.

Paul
11-17-2007, 3:42 PM
Sweet.

wilit
11-17-2007, 3:53 PM
so, how much are we talking for a built item?
how hard it it to build?
any gun is cool....

I believe the guy I'm talking to is only interested in building the receivers, no finished rifles.

The receiver is the hard part. Like building an AR, once you have a finished receiver it's just a matter of piecing it all together.

Here's my rundown on total costs:

Reciever: $145
Parts Kit: $100
Full 16" Barrel: $100
Semi-Auto bolt: $220
Total: $565

You could probably do it cheaper if you just welded a sleeve onto the factory barrel to meet the 16" length. You might be able to save some money buy just buying the parts you need from www.aa-ok.com instead of the entire parts kit, but I don't know that you'd save that much money.

savageevo
11-17-2007, 4:05 PM
Im in, why don't you start the list and if the there is a big enough buy in I hope he could give us a break on all the parts.

CaptMike
11-17-2007, 8:35 PM
Im in, I have 6 32 round mags sitting in my attic that I bought along time ago. I was planning on building one but all of the receiver requirements has kept me from doing it. This is an oportunity I cant pass up. thanks guys

wilit
11-17-2007, 8:47 PM
Just an FYI for those without pre-ban magazines. I have a box of Indian single stack 20 round mags sitting at my Dad's place in AZ. I plan on converting them to 10 rounders. So I may have a few extras for sale.

DJMAN
11-17-2007, 9:07 PM
Im in. Now I can use all those mags I've had for years.:D

TheMan
11-17-2007, 11:19 PM
I am definitely interested.

Hitman
11-18-2007, 1:38 AM
Im in. Now I can use all those mags I've had for years.:D

Same here... I was contemplating making a sten mag fed AR conversion years ago but went with the Colt setup instead. Now I can finally take all my Sten mags out of storage as I found another use for them if this goes thru.:D

thefinger
11-18-2007, 4:50 PM
Add me to the list of those who are INTERESTED !!! :D

keep us updated, I'm actually pretty excited about this:p

Also, if I bought a mkIII parts kit, would my parts all work on this new receiver?

wilit
11-19-2007, 5:32 PM
Add me to the list of those who are INTERESTED !!! :D

keep us updated, I'm actually pretty excited about this:p

Also, if I bought a mkIII parts kit, would my parts all work on this new receiver?

Yes. You will need to supply your own trigger housing and mag well if you're looking to get a fully welded ready to assemble receiver for $145. If you'd like to weld yourself, the $100 receiver tube would be what you'd want to order.

The only part that will NOT work is the bolt. You will need to purchase a separate semi-auto bolt from either http://www.semiautosten.com/kits/kits.html or from http://www.indianapolisordnance.com/sten-mk3.htm or if you're good enough make your own semi-auto bolt. But from what I understand, that is very difficult.

Diablo
11-19-2007, 5:49 PM
Count me in for at least the receiver.

Hoop
11-19-2007, 6:12 PM
I would like to be on the list as well, provided they come with (ATF?) letters stating their legality.

thefinger
11-19-2007, 9:03 PM
wilit, what exactly is your relationship with the manufacturer? Also, I'm not familiar with ATF approval procedures.... is the ATF approval pretty much a sure-deal? or is this the type of thing that gets caught up in red tape forever?

wilit
11-19-2007, 9:15 PM
wilit, what exactly is your relationship with the manufacturer? Also, I'm not familiar with ATF approval procedures.... is the ATF approval pretty much a sure-deal? or is this the type of thing that gets caught up in red tape forever?

The manufacturer is a fellow member of the Yahoo Groups STEN GUN group. He posted up asking if there would be any interest in the receivers and was "shot down" so to speak. I started this thread to see if there would be any interest on his behalf. Just trying to drum up business for someone willing to make a 100% receiver for a rifle I've always wanted but don't have the time to build from scratch.

The ATF approvals, from what I've heard, generally get processed pretty quick (quicker than inquiries to the CA DOJ). From what I understand, if the design is similar to one that has already been approved, then there shouldn't be a whole lot of back and forth with the ATF to come to approve a design.

NORCALWRECKCHASER
11-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I have a few bud's with old parts kits laying around. I'll ask them.

RECCE556
11-20-2007, 2:04 AM
FYI, before anyone decides to purchase one of Indianapolis Ordnance's kits, here's some things you might want to know outside of demilling your own parts kits:

1) If you buy the optional 16" barrel, you need to resize the ID of the barrel trunnion from your parts kit.
2) The breech trunnion does NOT fit into the body and the OD needs to be sized down
3) The "Hammer" is NOT heat treated and you must do that before putting it together.
4) The extractor pin hole is VERY undersized. Don't even attempt to install it. You have to size down the OD of the pin from your parts kit.
5) There is quite a bit of welding and aligning that needs to be done.
6) You need to finish the cutouts (and uncut outlines) on the receiver since it's a 80% tube
7) You can use screws but the kit comes with friction rivets.

Basically, this isn't a "AR" build. It requires you to own (or have access) to a welder, a mill or drill press and some other tools...and the skills to use 'em. Just though people might want to know before investing $400+ into a kit they may never end up building.

wilit
11-20-2007, 5:45 PM
6) You need to finish the cutouts (and uncut outlines) on the receiver since it's a 80% tube

These receivers are 100% fully welded, cut, and serialized receivers from a manufacturer that is NOT Indianapolis Ordnance. These are not questionable 80% tubes. I posted the Indy website as a source for the remaining parts people would need.

Also, there is a manufacturer out there that sells heat treated hammers. I'll have to look it up. They supposedly work much better than the SAS3 hammers.

And YES, these are not AR's. They are very crude rifles designed to be manufactured quickly and cheaply. These receivers will be of better quality than the original rolled sheet metal tubes, however, if anyone is thinking they're buying a top shelf precision rifle, you are not. STENS were never designed to be precision rifles, nor will they ever be.

RECCE556
11-22-2007, 1:31 AM
I only brought that up in case people were looking to build one of the Indianapolis Ordnance 80% kits. I wasn't referencing the 100% receivers you're looking to have made. The 100% receiver will definitely save the buyer a few steps but a lot of the build info is still pertinent for any Sten build.

The IO tube is actually pretty good but there are some serious fit issues with their kit. According to IO, the SAS3 setup can potentially be made into a closed-bolt, slam-fire Sten (which is like bad...) IO states that it's not possible to do that with their kit and IO also has a letter from the BATFE that proves the legality of their kit. I believe that SAS3 just comes with a generic Catco letter (Catco was a builder of Semi-Auto Stens back in the days for those of you who don't know).

If you have a machining capabilities, I think it would be nice to offer a full, well fitting build kit then people can use just the trigger housing, internals, lower and some of the small parts from their demilled Sten kits. Or at least a set of trunnions made to fit properly in the 100% tube.

Stens are definitely NOT "nice" or precision guns. They were designed as SMG's but I have to say, shooting a Sten (even a semi-auto one) quite fun and it's a lot cheaper than shooting 5.56! Plus you can have removable mags...

wilit
11-22-2007, 12:14 PM
After reading some of Bweise's posts about 80% receivers and the trouble Halo Mfg. has gotten into with their 80% 1919A4 RSP's, I think I'm going to stay far away from the 80% issue. Either start with a 0% kit like an AK flat or blank tube or buy a 100% receiver.

Also, I forgot to remind people. Like Reese556 mentioned, if you use the barrel bushings out of the STEN parts kit, yes they will need to be turned down to the correct diameter to fit inside the new receiver. HOWEVER, if you go with the SAS3 kit, it comes with correct diameter bushings. No lathe required. Along with that, yes they need to be fitted into the receiver, either drilled and tapped for screws or "riveted". I think I'm either going to go with screws or with U-drives.

Also another thing to remember people... CONSTRUCTIVE POSSESSION. Yes, CA does not have issues but the Feds do. Please make sure you have a 16" barrel PRIOR to taking possession of a receiver. If you have a receiver and a 10" barrel, you've got SBR constructive possession issues. Also, the FA bolt you get in the parts kit is of no value other than for the extractor and spring. Remove those and get rid of the bolt. No need to have it laying around.

RECCE556
11-22-2007, 9:49 PM
I think with the bolt, you're safe so long as you don't have a tube that fits the original FA bolt but as Wilit mentioned, the bolts are pretty much useless after you strip the extractor, extractor pin and spring (the IO kit requires you to use your original extractor pin...but like I said before, their bolt is drilled UNDERSIZED so you have to either lathe down your pin or drill out the IO Bolt's extractor hole).

Also, if you have the barrel extension (that comes with the IO and the SAS3 kit), then having a short barrel shouldn't be a problem as the whole point of having the barrel extension is to extend the barrel.

Of course, the BATFE and the CA DOJ like to make stuff up as they go along with complete disregard for the actual laws so YMMV....

saki302
11-22-2007, 10:28 PM
The SAS3 firing as a closed bolt slam-fire is a myth. There are no feed lips on the bolt so if the firign pin portrudes, it will jam HARD when the bolt closes (seen it happen on a buddy's build w/ disconnector failure).

It will fire out of battery, however. If the IO kit cannot fire OOB, that would be the preferred kit IMO.

-Dave

RECCE556
11-23-2007, 8:36 AM
It has nothing to do with the firing pin protruding. It has to do with the weight of the hammer if the sear (it's not a "disconnector" on a Sten) and FPS is faulty.

cseabass
11-23-2007, 8:49 AM
throw my name on he list and PM me with details... i was gonna order the plans for the semi auto from shotgun news... but... if i can get it already done... im down.

AfricanHunter
11-23-2007, 6:55 PM
Put me on the list.

AJAX22
11-23-2007, 7:06 PM
I'm interested, but don't put me on the list just yet. I've got a few projects that I've got to finish up first before I take on anything else (including a homebuilt pinned mag closed bolt STEN pistol)

When this gets a definite date of when stuff is going to happen I'll see If I'm in a position to get onboard with y'all. Being a student I have to plan out my projects a long time in advance.

JesseXXX
11-24-2007, 9:43 AM
Interested...

wilit
11-24-2007, 10:28 AM
AJAX22, if you're interested, the manufacturer even mentioned making a single shot pistol with no mag well. :D

saki302
11-29-2007, 11:12 PM
This is an old post, but if the sear fails, the weight of the hammer is irrelevant unless the FP spring is too strong (strong enought o hold it back until the bolt slams into battery, which in my experience, it is not).

If the hammer rests in full forward position, the FP tip will portrude from the bolt face causing a hard jam upon feeding- no way around it unless you have feed lips on the bolt, which is specifically why SAS and the other kit mill them off.
I've seen this feed failure firsthand.

Now if the sear worked well enough to hold the hammer back until the case slid into firing position, then fell off, you've got problems- either uncontrolled FA fire, or a kaboom (seen two out of battery firings firsthand too- loud, shocking, but no damage to the rifle).

-Dave

magdump
12-06-2007, 8:47 PM
Hi, a new guy here. I joined as soon as I read about the possibility of a 100% Sten tube. I've been trying to find the best way to make a semi Sten and happened on this site and thread. Count me in for one.

magdump
01-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Now that Christmas is over I'll be looking for more things to do. Is there any more information on these Sten receivers? I'm still very interested but I don't see my name on the big list. Please don't forget me if this becomes a group buy or not.

wilit
01-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Update: Still trying to track down the CA DOJ letter for us Cali folks. As for you Magdump, since you're in TN, you should be okay. I don't believe the manufacturer has gotten a response from the ATF yet regarding his tube design. I'll check back in with him to see where he's at.

Iknownot
01-05-2008, 3:22 PM
Just for clarification, the sten is not considered a CA AW because of the stock/grip design?

wilit
01-05-2008, 3:37 PM
Just for clarification, the sten is not considered a CA AW because of the stock/grip design?

Correct, no evil features. It has a regular rifle style stock which doesn't allow a pistol style grasp.

Iknownot
01-05-2008, 3:43 PM
So, if someone were interested, what amount of work would it take to get a sten together and working?

I've read this thread, but it some what unclear based on what a couple of people have posted.

Is it a matter of buying the receiver, the correct length barrel and parts and bolting it together?

Or, would there be more technical skills (machining/welding/etc) needed to get the sten together, based on the receiver that will be offered?

If it a matter of bolting together, what is a conservative estimate of the amount of time someone would spend getting the gun together?

Very curious.

wilit
01-05-2008, 3:48 PM
So, if someone were interested, what amount of work would it take to get a sten together and working?

I've read this thread, but it some what unclear based on what a couple of people have posted.

Is it a matter of buying the receiver, the correct length barrel and parts and bolting it together?

Or, would there be more technical skills (machining/welding/etc) needed to get the sten together, based on the receiver that will be offered?

If it a matter of bolting together, what is a conservative estimate of the amount of time someone would spend getting the gun together?

Very curious.

These don't just slap together like an AK. While they are loose tolerance rifles, they do require a LOT of tweaking to get to work correctly and reliably. I would suggest this be a project you tackle after building several rifles (start with an AR, build an AK or FAl) then think about the STEN. Here's a thread on building a Mk II. Slightly different than a Mk III, but still the same amount of work required. http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3524&PN=1

Iknownot
01-05-2008, 4:21 PM
Okay, thanks for the better idea of what is involved.

But to clarify, the receivers that are part of your deal have the mag well and trigger assembly welded on already, yes?

So a person buying one would have to deal with the internal parts (bolt, trigger parts, etc) and getting them installed and working properly, as well as installing things like the stock and barrel and such? Still a lot of work, but less than in that link you posted?

wilit
01-05-2008, 5:34 PM
Okay, thanks for the better idea of what is involved.

But to clarify, the receivers that are part of your deal have the mag well and trigger assembly welded on already, yes?

So a person buying one would have to deal with the internal parts (bolt, trigger parts, etc) and getting them installed and working properly, as well as installing things like the stock and barrel and such? Still a lot of work, but less than in that link you posted?

Depends. You can either buy just the tube for $100 or supply the mag well and trigger housing and they'll be welded on to the tube for $45 more for a total of $145. It would be up to you to get the barrel and trunions installed and headspaced properly as well as finding a semi-auto bolt and tweaking that to run properly. Once the receiver is all welded up, that's the easy part. The hard part is tuning it to run right.

GuyW
01-11-2008, 4:05 PM
...I have a box of Indian single stack 20 round mags....

Indian mags are 19 rounders (converted from 32s by added copper rods along one wall) - supposedly less inclined to feeding stoppages, especially from dirt/grit in the mags...

Cali-V
04-06-2008, 12:20 PM
wilit
Any news one the 100% receivers... I'm interested...
Can you PM me a source for more info regarding converting my FA bolt to Semi.
Thanks

wilit
04-06-2008, 12:26 PM
The manufacturer is still waiting for approval from the BATF on his design. Not sure what the hold up is other than waiting for a government agency to make a decision.

Cali-V. Unless you own a machine shop, or have access to one, I would advise against trying to modify a FA bolt to work in a SA firearm. Just buy either the SAS3 bolt or Indianapolis Ordnance bolt kits. Both come with BATF approval letters which will help keep you out of trouble.

Cali-V
04-06-2008, 1:13 PM
I do have access to a well equipped shop, and I own a small lath and CNC mill... but do I really want to start another project, probably not... If I made the modifications it would be because I simply nothing better to do...

I think I was just looking for info for future reference and to better understand the differences between the two modes...

Thanks for the good advice, I'll keep my eye on this thread for movement...

indianapolisordnance
10-13-2009, 3:13 AM
Hi Guys,

Some of you have had concerns about our semi auto STEN build kits. We have been producing the bolts for several years and every time we make more they get a little better in quality and function. We did have a small batch a few years ago that had the holes for the extractor pin a little small. That has been fixed. The hammers are very easy to harden with a propane torch. These kit do work very well as I and others have fired thousands of rounds through them. Typically, the time to put one together which includes finishing the reciever, assembling the internal parts, demilling the old parts, and assembly is about 6 hours depending on individual experience. When you weld on the tubes, you need to use a MIG or TIG welder on low heat. Otherwise you can warp the tube if you get it too hot. We have helped many men who have never built a gun succesfully put them together. You do not need to be a gunsmith to build them, just have some basic mechanical sense.

tommyid1
10-13-2009, 6:44 AM
So judging from the necropost these recievers are available now?

wilit
10-13-2009, 11:46 AM
So judging from the necropost these recievers are available now?

Negative. The guy I was working with never came through. I don't know if he gave up or just didn't want to do business with CA, but I haven't seen anything produced by him, so I assume he just gave up.

As for Indianpolis Ordnance's post, I'm planning on purchasing my STEN items from him. I was on the STEN Yahoo Groups list for a while and had a few bad experiences with the builder of the SAS3 kit. I haven't found many people who have gotten the SAS3 kit to work without some major tweaking. I haven't found many people who have used the IO kit, but the ones I have said it worked straight out of the bag.

Grendl
04-26-2010, 1:27 PM
Hey Indy, I have a MKII kit. If I buy your tube MK2SAT, and kit MK2SAK, and 16" barrel MK2B16, is there a discount since I'm not going to get the extension, and how much welding is involved? I've done very little welding with propane/MAPP and don't have access to practice or a TIG/MIG rig.

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

Some of you have had concerns about our semi auto STEN build kits. We have been producing the bolts for several years and every time we make more they get a little better in quality and function. We did have a small batch a few years ago that had the holes for the extractor pin a little small. That has been fixed. The hammers are very easy to harden with a propane torch. These kit do work very well as I and others have fired thousands of rounds through them. Typically, the time to put one together which includes finishing the reciever, assembling the internal parts, demilling the old parts, and assembly is about 6 hours depending on individual experience. When you weld on the tubes, you need to use a MIG or TIG welder on low heat. Otherwise you can warp the tube if you get it too hot. We have helped many men who have never built a gun succesfully put them together. You do not need to be a gunsmith to build them, just have some basic mechanical sense.

djleisure
04-26-2010, 1:55 PM
Hey Indy, I have a MKII kit. If I buy your tube MK2SAT, and kit MK2SAK, and 16" barrel MK2B16, is there a discount since I'm not going to get the extension, and how much welding is involved? I've done very little welding with propane/MAPP and don't have access to practice or a TIG/MIG rig.

Thanks!
You happen to catch how old this thread is? You may want to to PM that guy, because I doubt he's keeping an eye on this thread any longer... ;)

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/land-forces/15209d1247204376-indian-army-vs-american-army-holy_necroposting_batman.jpg

Z ME FLY
04-26-2010, 2:43 PM
You happen to catch how old this thread is? You may want to to PM that guy, because I doubt he's keeping an eye on this thread any longer... ;)

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/land-forces/15209d1247204376-indian-army-vs-american-army-holy_necroposting_batman.jpg

LOL especially after you read the last two posts...

Negative. The guy I was working with never came through. I don't know if he gave up or just didn't want to do business with CA, but I haven't seen anything produced by him, so I assume he just gave up.

As for Indianpolis Ordnance's post, I'm planning on purchasing my STEN items from him. I was on the STEN Yahoo Groups list for a while and had a few bad experiences with the builder of the SAS3 kit. I haven't found many people who have gotten the SAS3 kit to work without some major tweaking. I haven't found many people who have used the IO kit, but the ones I have said it worked straight out of the bag.

Thanks!

Grendl
04-26-2010, 3:34 PM
Shucks, I didn't think 6 months was that bad considering the dearth of more recent posts on semi-auto stens :)

wilit
04-26-2010, 5:35 PM
Yep, dude never came through. I assume he just gave up. I did approach Wiselite Arms about building 100% STEN receivers since they're currently building Sterlings. Their response was, "sorry, we don't do business with California at all." and "we've submitted plans to the BATF, but at this point, there's not enough money in making them." Sorry guys, I tried.

REDHORSE
04-26-2010, 11:32 PM
I finished my IO Sten Mk III build. I'm very happy with the results.

pKBZ3sSvY3E

O5S75cUL5fI

Q
04-27-2010, 12:51 AM
Nice work on the sten. :thumbsup:
I want a MK2 but no funds to spare..

straykiller
04-27-2010, 3:27 AM
Very very interested, gotta go find me a parts kit

Grendl
04-27-2010, 8:24 AM
I've got a MKII kit and sent an email to IA to discuss what I need. I'd like to do a longer receiver with vent holes (something to hold onto, looks suppressed with a leather wrap:), but also utilize my MKII rotating magwell.

Sorry I missed your build party Red Lion :)

pitfighter
10-11-2010, 10:51 AM
I am interested in buying one of the CA legal Stens, if any of you whizz kids are interested in selling - drop me a PM, I'm in San fernando Valley.

JJ

wilit
10-11-2010, 6:06 PM
I am interested in buying one of the CA legal Stens, if any of you whizz kids are interested in selling - drop me a PM, I'm in San fernando Valley.

JJ

You should read the entire thread. This never materialized because the manufacturer never produced anything.