PDA

View Full Version : Big brother(ish)?

Rob454
11-15-2007, 1:21 PM
Onstar will be able to stop your car if chased by cops

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_e_ZeYy3qjs

Patriot
11-15-2007, 1:30 PM
Don't like it. Any entity implementing this system ought to be liable for damages incurred by its use (just as criminals should be liable for damage they cause in a normal pursuit).

The simple solution is not to make the cops chase you in the first place :p

bwiese
11-15-2007, 1:59 PM
Guess I'll have to go back to hacking ECUs again.

I can't see why anyone buys OnStar anyway.

AKman
11-15-2007, 2:03 PM

More money than common sense?

edwardm
11-15-2007, 2:11 PM
SPST switch for the antenna, perhaps? Or a proper antenna switch if so inclined. :)

762cavalier
11-15-2007, 3:16 PM
I agree. That is some scary stuff. And if onstar can shut your car off if will only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to hack the system for less than honest purposes.:eek:

rkt88edmo
11-15-2007, 3:40 PM
I agree. That is some scary stuff. And if onstar can shut your car off if will only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to hack the system for less than honest purposes.:eek:

I think the people at greatest risk for something like that would be executives whose families might be targetted for kidnapping, and who likely have OnStar enabled vehicles.

I saw this on TV and the system even announces to the occupants that the car is being slowed down by LEA - you would think that if it was a high speed chase that it would be better if OnStar did not announce what was happening to the vehicle.

trashman
11-15-2007, 4:55 PM
More money than common sense?

Meh. Same reason as folks who buy AAA so they never have to learn to change a tire on their own. Or who refuse to look up directions to where they're going (and then call while they're on the road and ask for verbal directions). Or that think cars magically maintain themselves.

Wow - just realized Onstar hit a nerve. I am sounding more like an 85-year old techno Luddite all the time (while I'm ranting....damn newfangled plastic guns!).

--Neill

N6ATF
11-15-2007, 6:07 PM
Seat-based Taser.

Wyatt
11-15-2007, 6:10 PM
One fuse. That's all it takes to disable On-Star. No worries.

StukaJr
11-15-2007, 6:35 PM
I guess my first thought is "And why would I have On-Star installed in the vehicle?"... I mean, it's a consumer driven business - unless this "life saving technology" gets tacked on as Microstamping and passed as a mandate for every vehicle produced after 2020...

M. Sage
11-15-2007, 7:06 PM

I just had a fun thought. With the way that all new cars are running CAN systems, everything is integrated right? Look at the new technologies that are coming out along side that:

Electronic brakes. You ain't pushing (much) fluid in a Prius.

Electronic steering assist. A lot of other cars have that. Most of them, it's done with an electronically controlled motor turning a pinion gear on the steering shaft with a sensor or two (steering angle and/or strain gauge) to help it decide how fast to turn said motor, so it's seamless.

Electronic throttle. This one's pretty industry-wide now, AFAIK.

It's only a matter of time before they can not only disable a car by remote control, but DRIVE the damn thing that way, if they want. Some cars (namely the Prius) already have most or all of the pieces in place, all it's going to take is the right software in the car.

metalhead357
11-15-2007, 7:17 PM

Amen........ too stooopid to read a map and too forgetful and leaving keys inside. And oh wow...... roadside reads of how much oil I have:rolleyes: Wife wanted one and she got a big FAT NO.....one of the very few times she's ever heard me say THAT to her LOL!

newtothis
11-15-2007, 7:23 PM
Definitely Big Brotherish. Will use Patriot Act or some such to justify on all cars (with trucks going first) someday. Will autos go the way of handguns? Will pre-lock, pre-Onstar, be more desirable?

metalhead357
11-15-2007, 7:28 PM
Will pre-lock, pre-Onstar, be more desirable?

its just a snip or two and yank from outta the car and you're back to freedom. That is until Onstar finances a law to make it illegal to remove Onstar:cool:

M. Sage
11-15-2007, 7:32 PM
Hmm, watching this video, it's idiotic. It shouldn't just "reduce power," but induce a full-ABS stop.

I'm sure that all they have to do to make it "tamper-resistant" is to require a remote release on the accelerator before the vehicle could be driven again.

metalhead357
11-15-2007, 7:41 PM
...that it would be better if OnStar did not announce what was happening to the vehicle.

LOL! Anyone else remember the Eddie Murphey bit * Hey Man! Sumbuddi Stole ya' battree... I says we go Ges the Mo**** Fo******"

Ahhh the memories:D

Satex
11-15-2007, 8:03 PM
Don't know why people are getting upset over it just now. Onstar has been able to unlock your doors and get a GPS fix on you since day one of their operation.

metalhead357
11-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Don't know why people are getting upset over it just now. Onstar has been able to unlock your doors and get a GPS fix on you since day one of their operation.

tellin me where I am and unlocking m' door for me is ENTIRELY different than preventin' me from goin where I wanna go ((and arguably IF I was a BG...it'd be AWAY from d' cops!!!)).

I just wanna know. If they can stop me on a dime, can they take out the hassle of me needing to run to the gas station and fill er' up? For god's sake...at least come up with sunnin' TRULY usefull;)

scottj
11-16-2007, 1:54 PM
I work at UCB and we have heavy trucks and buses here that we control the brakes and throttle over the vehicle CAN bus. Until more cars than the Lexus that autoparks have steering actuators, you won't have to worry about being driven to the police station.

Scott

Soundman
11-16-2007, 5:49 PM
Here's something stupid most people don't know about the door unlock feature of On-Star. If the car is parked for 48 hours or more they will not open your door for any reason. I was working at an auto show when someone accidentally locked the keys inside a Hummer in the middle of the week. They called On-Star and they said No, it's been in one spot too long and claimed it was an "anti-theft" measure. So we had to break the window of the Hummer to get the keys.

Addax
11-16-2007, 6:12 PM
Well, in the next 5 years, virtually all auto mfg's will offer either Onstar (or a renamed version of it) or their own type of OnStar.

In the next 10 years, Onstar will be as standard a feature as anti lock brakes are standard on virtually all new cars being sold today.

Not only that, but the future OnStar type systems will be connected to the "Black Box" in your car, so it can pull up a report on your driving habits and activities, and this info. can also be used in auto accident cases etc.

In the future, there will be no antenna on the top of your car, your car will be the antenna probably using the glass and running the antenna wire in the glass of the car windshield and rear glass or using the roof of the car as an antenna so you cannot just cut a wire.....

The only way to cut off the system will be to remove the fuse, but the auto mfg's can easily connect the Onstar system to another critical system on the fuse panel so by removing the fuse, maybe your AC will not work as well...

I used to work for Ford Motor Company as a field service and claims rep, and you can only imagine the things their engineers would come up..

Big Brother's Watching!

Oingo Boingo 1984....

metalhead357
11-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Addax...I hear ya'...but until the unit is actually part of the motor itself....whatever is put in there with the motor----> CAN be taken out or bypassed....Sure it'll take some time and probably a few bucks; But I'll be dammed if anyone needs to know my driving habits and how I SPEED UP before running over fuzzy critters:p (That lil' smilie means JOKING....)

Satex
11-17-2007, 12:25 AM
tellin me where I am and unlocking m' door for me is ENTIRELY different than preventin' me from goin where I wanna go ((and arguably IF I was a BG...it'd be AWAY from d' cops!!!)).

Is it really?
Let's see, they know where you are, and they can lock you inside your can under orders from specific officials. So is that really different from stopping you while you are driving?

metalhead357
11-17-2007, 6:09 PM
Is it really?
Let's see, they know where you are, and they can lock you inside your can under orders from specific officials. So is that really different from stopping you while you are driving?

Yep. Bringing in a 3rd party to the event...a NON SWORN 3rd party; betcha wont ever see any legislation protecting Onstar from assuming ALL the liability if summin' goes wrong....the cops will be protected; Onstar wont.