PDA

View Full Version : SoCalers - Sunday 11/18 Angeles Shooting Range Meet

jandmtv
11-15-2007, 12:19 PM
hi guys/gals

ive been wanting to set up a meet for a while now, so here it is

This sunday at Angeles shooting range 9am at the end of the pistol range (there is a rifle section at the end of the pistol range thats usually people free) we can also goto the rifle section after people show up. but on sundays thats usually pretty packed unless all of you show up at 9am sharp, then we can get some benches next to eachother. ill be bringing my ak and my ar.

pm me with questions

Prc329
11-15-2007, 12:44 PM
9 would be better since that is when they open. Get there at 9 and usually the last 6 or so benches are completely free on the rifle side near the clay throwers.

Have fun, I probably won't be able to make it.

kroniclove
11-15-2007, 1:00 PM
put me in as a maybe. 80% yes/ 20% maybe

jandmtv
11-15-2007, 1:03 PM
hey kronic, hows that ak workin for you.

Black Majik
11-15-2007, 1:43 PM
I'm usually at the pistol side on sundays, so I'll stop by and say hi if I see a buncha OLLs... :cool2:

odesskiy
11-15-2007, 1:48 PM
I'll try to show up. Any of you guys can help me with zeroing in my brand new AR (BUIS and Aimpoint) ?

ar15barrels
11-15-2007, 2:05 PM
Get there at 9 and usually the last 6 or so benches are completely free on the rifle side near the clay throwers.

You actually have a name tag on that last bench don't you Norm? ;)

jandmtv
11-15-2007, 2:17 PM
I'll try to show up. Any of you guys can help me with zeroing in my brand new AR (BUIS and Aimpoint) ?

ill help you. im going to be zeroing in my scope and fine tunning my holosight so ill be bringing some shoot-n-see targets with me from big5. they make zeroing in very easy,

i also have a 5.56/.223 laser bore sighter bullet you can use if u wish, ill have that with me.

DJDace
11-15-2007, 2:21 PM
You actually have a name tag on that last bench don't you Norm? ;)

I watched him chisel his initials into the bench, I swear to God. :)

I may make it out there Sunday. Still fine tuning my shooting grip and stance with my Cattleman and getting comfortable speed loading my Side by Side. I'm usually at the pistol side clay thrower for an hour or so ;)

jandmtv
11-15-2007, 2:22 PM
hahaha, im going to have to see that for myself this weekend.

well i guess he can ask people to leave his seat now, and when they say is your name on it, well you know the rest....

Prc329
11-15-2007, 2:28 PM
Actually it is the second to last bench :) Gives the best view and angle on all steel targets, especially that poor battered pig and its kid. To many 155 scenars hitting it :D

ar15barrels
11-15-2007, 2:35 PM
Actually it is the second to last bench :) Gives the best view and angle on all steel targets, especially that poor battered pig and its kid. To many 155 scenars hitting it :D

I have a bunch of 155 matchkings on that little pig myself. :D

Timberwolf
11-15-2007, 2:39 PM
Not to mention the occassional 175SMK - is the "rock" still up on the hill

Prc329
11-15-2007, 2:40 PM
I think so. Isn't it supposed to be 900+ yards?

Timberwolf
11-15-2007, 2:46 PM
Yeah I think its around 930 something - I have a nice 1/4 moon scar from getting on that thing in prone during one of Bruce's classes and not watching my eye relief angle - by the fifth shot I looked like Rocky did in the first movie.

CSACANNONEER
11-15-2007, 4:06 PM
Those end benches are going to be full if 50s on Sunday! I'll be there with one of my 50s, my 1919, probably a .410 or two and who know what else.

kj
11-15-2007, 9:45 PM
The Golden Bears will also be holding their Highpower match on that end, past the pistol area at the tables closest to the shotgun bay, on Nov 18. Come join in on the fun.

Teletiger7
11-15-2007, 10:05 PM
:)Wow, sounds like there's gonna be alot going on that day.:)

jandmtv
11-15-2007, 10:27 PM
sounds like we should be there at 9am sharp to get good benches.

Teletiger7
11-16-2007, 2:08 AM
SO where are you meeting. Pistol or rifle side? I'll try to make it as well.

jandmtv
11-16-2007, 7:15 AM
i think at the end of the pistol side. but we'll see.

mrsr71
11-16-2007, 7:44 AM
Go on Thursday. It's cheaper and zero crowds :D

tdo315
11-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Sounds like it's going to be crowded on Sunday. I have baby furniture to refinish or I would be all over this. I might hit it on the day after Thanksgiving if I have my OLL build done by then (picking up my lower on Weds).

jester
11-16-2007, 4:51 PM
I'll be there!
I just have to shoot my #5 jungle carbine.I'll be there early and set up around 0830 on rifle side near the throwers(buddy's bring his shottie)

accordingtoome
11-16-2007, 5:08 PM
I would go but im between rifles at the moment. :o

ar15barrels
11-16-2007, 5:23 PM
I would go but im between rifles at the moment. :o

Where's the Howa?

accordingtoome
11-16-2007, 6:59 PM
Where's the Howa?

The Bushnell scope is broken. will only go left or right not up or down.
I was shooting 2 1/2 to 3inch groups at 100 yards. I really enjoy the trigger job you did. i just wish i had taken better care of this rifle.

Randall. can you help me rebuild it? i need a barrel (heavy 24 inch) and a new stock. I have no clue where to even look. :confused:

I do have a complete lower also but no upper at the moment (i had to pay bills)

**EDIT**
I found a cool bell and carlson stock i like. will i be able to use this??
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=857

ar15barrels
11-16-2007, 7:26 PM
can you help me rebuild it? i need a barrel (heavy 24 inch) and a new stock.

I found a cool bell and carlson stock i like. will i be able to use this??
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=857

That stock will do nicely.
Order it up.

Next thing you need is a good scope.
On a budget, look at a Nikon 4.5-14 side focus mil-dot model.
I have an un-used one here I might be tempted to part with...

Get those two things done, then go shooting.
Barrel can come later and I can certainly help with it when you are ready.

Prc329
11-16-2007, 8:22 PM
That stock is the same one Savage shooters usually use if they don't buy a Mac of hs unit. I have had about 3 of them. Loved the stock.

accordingtoome
11-16-2007, 8:53 PM
That stock is the same one Savage shooters usually use if they don't buy a Mac of hs unit. I have had about 3 of them. Loved the stock.
seems really nice. Thanks for the feedback.

Sam Hainn
11-16-2007, 9:33 PM
Geez - the 50-cal shooters always get there early. With that, the noraml Sunday crowd, and all of everyone posting here they'll be there, it's gonna be shoulder to shoulder! No offense everybody, but I hate when the range gets that crowded. :grouphug:

LA needs another outdoor range!!;)

Addax
11-17-2007, 1:59 AM
I would love to join, but I am still recovering from surgery, and my wife won't let me lift or move anything like my rifles and ammo, so it will have to be next time.

Let us know how that Hottie AR shoots.

Regards,
Addax

elsolo
11-17-2007, 9:18 AM
Yep, there should be some .50 cal shooters there, being it's the 3rd Sunday of the month.
I'll be one of them :)

jandmtv
11-17-2007, 9:37 AM
sorry to hear that addax, hope you recover soon. ill post a report of how it went.

50 Shooter
11-17-2007, 8:28 PM
For all you guys showing up at ASR tomorrow, stop by and say hello. If there's going to be a big group of CalGunners there we should have a union meeting to get to know each other.:D

I'll be wearing a black beltfed shooters shoot tomorrow, if it's cold I'll have a black windbreaker on. As a side note, if you set up next to a .50, PLEASE don't leave anything light on the bench. I would hate to see something expensive get blown off and damaged.:eek:

Black Majik
11-17-2007, 8:51 PM
For all you guys showing up at ASR tomorrow, stop by and say hello. If there's going to be a big group of CalGunners there we should have a union meeting to get to know each other.:D

I'll be wearing a black beltfed shooters shoot tomorrow, if it's cold I'll have a black windbreaker on. As a side note, if you set up next to a .50, PLEASE don't leave anything light on the bench. I would hate to see something expensive get blown off and damaged.:eek:

Shawn,

If you're still there by noon we'll come stop by and say hi :D

50 Shooter
11-17-2007, 9:03 PM
Sounds good Richard, haven't seen you guys in awhile.

jandmtv
11-17-2007, 11:18 PM
ill be there 9am sharp. ill have a couple of AKs and my AR and maybe a bolt action and a sks, i might bring out all my toys depending on my mood in the morning. hope to see some of you there

savasyn
11-18-2007, 7:40 PM
Sorry I missed you guys today. I did get to play with guns further south, though, so it wasn't a total waste of a day ;)

How was it at Angeles?

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 7:47 PM
I did get to play with guns further south, though, so it wasn't a total waste of a day ;)

I must have missed your phone call.
I spent the day working in the shop. :(

capo
11-18-2007, 7:57 PM
Doh! Had class at the po-leese academy all day today otherwise I would have been there...

jandmtv
11-18-2007, 8:15 PM
didnt miss much, i didnt see any calgunners there, not like anyone would have had name tags or anything, i was there, got there at 10 (overslept)

i spent the next 30 minuts trying to get a bench, all the 50calers were takin up all the benches. the rifle benches at the end of the pistol lane were closed off due to a match. after i got a bench on the rifle lane, i shot 200 rounds out of my ak, and sks, and 350 rounds out of my ar and i got to sight in my scope. then called it a day at arround 2pm

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 8:22 PM
i didnt see any calgunners there

Further proof to my theory that the majority or people posting on internet forums are not to be believed.

How hard is it to show up at the range on a given weekend after you have posted "I'll be there"?
Obviously, it's pretty hard for the posers...

accordingtoome
11-18-2007, 8:24 PM
the posers...

hahaha.. you said posers

jandmtv
11-18-2007, 8:24 PM
well since angeles shooting range chooses to use toxic ink on their hand stamps that acid couldnt get off, i have my proof that i was there:D

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 8:30 PM
well since angeles shooting range chooses to use toxic ink on their hand stamps that acid couldnt get off, i have my proof that i was there:D

I betcha brake cleaner will take it right off. ;)
Just use hand lotion afterwards.

jandmtv
11-18-2007, 8:35 PM
i have no brake cleaner left after cleaning all the guns i used today.

CSACANNONEER
11-18-2007, 9:02 PM
i didnt see any calgunners there

You saw the guys with 50s didn't you? You could have said "Hi" to us!

jandmtv
11-18-2007, 9:08 PM
i walked by like 5 times. ive never seen any of you b4, so dont know what you look like, i stood there and watched you guys shoot for a bit. but never met most of you b4, i was hoping some of you would recognize my ar and ak from the pics i posted, but no one approched me, i asked 3 other ar shooters if they were cal guns members but they said no. next meet i think should be on a weekday so there wont be alot of people there, ill put up a sign next time that sais CalGuns Meet Here --->

Prc329
11-18-2007, 9:19 PM
It's normally not that bad on sundays but the 50 guys meet there and take over. It can be interesting to see though :)

savasyn
11-18-2007, 9:42 PM
next meet i think should be on a weekday so there wont be alot of people there, ill put up a sign next time that sais CalGuns Meet Here --->

I vote for a weekday, too. Mostly cuz I'm on vacation! Woo hoo!!! :)

jandmtv
11-18-2007, 10:36 PM
i can do just about any day, i can have any day as a day off. so i hope someone can set something up so alot of us can meet and shoot together.

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 10:48 PM
i walked by like 5 times. ive never seen any of you b4, so dont know what you look like

Try this next time...

At the bench where you fill out the waivers, put up a little sign that says
"calguns meet today, please write your screenname on a name tag if you are a calguns member"
Then leave some "hi, my name is..." nametags there for people to put their screenname on and wear.
Then when you see someone with the tag, you will know who they are.
Instant ice breaker.

Personally, I'm easy to spot.
How many other guys at ANY southern california range are 6'3" tall, 300lbs and always wearing an AR15BARRELS.COM shirt?
If anyone sees someone matching that description, come and say hi to me. :)

jandmtv
11-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Randall, send me a pm next time youre at angeles. im down to go any day.

Prc329
11-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Personally, I'm easy to spot.
How many other guys at ANY southern california range are 6'3" tall, 300lbs and always wearing an AR15BARRELS.COM shirt?
If anyone sees someone matching that description, come and say hi to me. :)

I must be blind because I completely missed you once.

isitkool
11-18-2007, 10:57 PM
AR15BARRELS.COM shirt?

I want a shirt

jandmtv
11-18-2007, 10:59 PM
it was kinda funny today, there were like 3 people shooting ARs next to me, and they were taking their guns appart and putting back together more than they were shooting, problem after problem. i shot 350 rounds out of my ar today, with 0 problems, and thats with me forgeting to lube my bcg, it was completley dry, and i completley forgot to oil/greese my new rra trigger group. i wonder why so manny are having problems with their ARs while i have had 0. i had a blast today, cant wait to go back.

oh and the Burris scope i bought from Gunner1 worked out great, infact some of the other ar shooters asked me to check it out and they liked it too. so thanx Gunner1

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I want a shirt

You gotta come over to get one. ;)

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 11:04 PM
it was kinda funny today, there were like 3 people shooting ARs next to me, and they were taking their guns appart and putting back together more than they were shooting, problem after problem. i shot 350 rounds out of my ar today, with 0 problems, and thats with me forgeting to lube my bcg, it was completley dry, and i completley forgot to oil/greese my new rra trigger group. i wonder why so manny are having problems with their ARs while i have had 0.

Those were amatuer builders.
Your upper was blessed by an AR god. ;)
I see things and fix things that many people would not even recognize as part of my normal assembly job.

isitkool
11-18-2007, 11:04 PM

I should've asked when I was there. I'm still thinking about that PRI front site/gas block.

savasyn
11-18-2007, 11:13 PM

I'm SO getting one next time I'm over! Set me an XL aside if I come up on saturday :)

ar15barrels
11-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Set me an XL aside if I come up on saturday :)

Not a problem.
I have a LOT of shirts (like a gross) ;)

kj
11-18-2007, 11:57 PM
didnt miss much, i didnt see any calgunners there, not like anyone would have had name tags or anything, i was there, got there at 10 (overslept)

i spent the next 30 minuts trying to get a bench, all the 50calers were takin up all the benches. the rifle benches at the end of the pistol lane were closed off due to a match. after i got a bench on the rifle lane, i shot 200 rounds out of my ak, and sks, and 350 rounds out of my ar and i got to sight in my scope. then called it a day at arround 2pm

I was there taking part in the highpower match at the end of the pistol lane. 38aht was there also, and probably a couple of other guys that post on Calguns.

I was going to hang around after the match for some much-needed practice, but the rifle benches were packed. Could hear the 50 cal guys though - BOOM! Sounded like fun!

Black Majik
11-19-2007, 12:29 AM
I was there at the pistol side around 1 - closing. Stopped by the rifle side to say hi to Shawn and the other .50 cal shooters. Didn't really see anyone shoot OLLs at the pistol side so my group just stuck with ourselves.

But then again... we're usually there every sunday. :)

kroniclove
11-19-2007, 1:15 AM
sry guys. i couldnt make it today. i was way too tired and decided to sleep in.

keep in touch.

vs

jandmtv
11-19-2007, 1:17 AM
i came by the match a couple of times, you guys were going at it with mr marine wana be drill instructor, lol that guy has a beer belly and he was dressed like a drill instructor. that was funny to me having been in the marines, anyway, i was arround the middle of the rifle range next to as Randall put it a couple of amature ar shooters, shooting my 20" ar on bipods. kinda hard to miss all that .223 brass arround my bench that people were tripping over, lol. hope to catch some of you next time im there.

50 Shooter
11-19-2007, 8:07 AM
If you asked other people if they were Cal Gunners, why didn't you stop by the .50's and ask us? Our bark is worse then our bite.;)

Seriously though, where was everyone? I met two Cal Gunners that set up next to us and talked to Black Majik when he came by but did any other CG'ers come by... NOOOoooo.

jandmtv
11-19-2007, 8:29 AM
well start a thread so members could post their pics so we can all put a face to the names, so when we see eachother at the range we will recognize eachother. after the first 3 people said to me, "what the hell is calguns?" i kinda stopped askin.

ar15barrels
11-19-2007, 9:20 AM
start a thread so members could post their pics so we can all put a face to the names

That would probably not be a popular idea on a gun website. ;)

MrBurns
11-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Naturally, I find this thread NOW. I was up at Angeles on Saturday from about noon until 4:30. It would have been great to meet some of you guys. Here's to better timing next time! :)

Full Clip
11-19-2007, 11:21 AM
With apologies to the board, but this may be useful...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/981624/Cal-Guns-Card.gif

soopafly
11-19-2007, 11:39 AM
just wear a Calguns T-shirt to the range:cool:

DJDace
11-19-2007, 12:09 PM
I didn't show up till about 4:45pm. I met Rust there to have him put a box of match ammo through my Grendel AR :) He seemed to like it, despite that it was getting dark and we were single loading rounds into it.

Some guys next to us on the Pistol/Rifle side had an AK and a few Saiga's. The 308. sounded like a Monster ;) The sparks coming off the steel plate had the range officers a little edgy haha.

ar15barrels
11-19-2007, 1:18 PM

Now print those up on adhesive label stock and leave a pile of them on the sign-up table at Angeles on the weekends.

jandmtv
11-19-2007, 2:25 PM
nice design!

Full Clip
11-19-2007, 2:27 PM
Just print one out, clip it and pin to your shirt! :)

jester
11-19-2007, 8:35 PM
I was there with a friend.
I didn't take my AR this time(I think I'll have Randall take a look @ it) But I set up next to the .50's and met Shawn(50shooter) and CSAcannoneer.There were several other .50's there but didn't meet their owners.
I was shooting my FR8 and my #5 jungle carbine(its 1st time out)
Funny, but using ammo marked 1943 with the enfield, I would pull the trigger, hear the click if the hammer falling, then after an almost imperceptable hesitation, the bang. Made it hard to keep on target.
My friend was shooting his 20" AR(registered) and his DSARMS FAL(also reg.)
and we were shooting clays with his HK super 90 12ga.
Anyway, we got there @ 0830 and left at noon...

I think that name tags are a good idea.
Wheres the link to the CALGUNS shirts?Also a good idea.

ar15barrels
11-19-2007, 10:00 PM
I was shooting my #5 jungle carbine(its 1st time out)
Funny, but using ammo marked 1943 with the enfield, I would pull the trigger, hear the click if the hammer falling, then after an almost imperceptable hesitation, the bang. Made it hard to keep on target.

That's called hangfiring and it is considered UNSAFE.
I would discontinue the use of that particular ammo.
Clean inside the bolt and see if it's packed with cosmoline.
Cosmoline on the striker spring can sometimes cause that if the ammo is not the problem.
Ammo is generally the problem though.

69Mach1
11-19-2007, 11:30 PM

Wow, very cool. Thanks for that.

50 Shooter
11-20-2007, 8:48 AM
Jester,
Good to meet you, anytime you want to come out with us just remember that we're there the 3rd Sun. of the month. Did you and your friend both get to shoot MrKubota's M2?

jester
11-20-2007, 4:09 PM
Hey Shawn, It was good to meet you too!
Its nice to be able to put faces to names/screen names.
We didn't get to shoot any .50's this time, but I can look forward to doing it next time. :)

CSACANNONEER
11-20-2007, 4:32 PM
jester,
It was a pleasure to meet you. I'm sorry that I forgot to offer to let you put a few rounds though my 50 and my 1919. I was also breaking clays (with my 11-47 in .410). Next time, I'll let you shoot that too! BTW, most 50 shooters are happy to devirginize a new shooter. So, if you see someone with a 50, just strike up a conversation and then ask if it would be alright to try their gun. You might want to offer them a few bucks to cover ammo costs (most 50 shooters that I know would not take your money though!) On that note, I need to thank MrKobota for letting me shoot his M2 and all the little goodies that he gave me. THANK YOU MRKOBOTA! It was also great to finally meet 50shooter and mrkobota in person. I'll join you guys every chance I can.

Novadesigns
11-20-2007, 6:02 PM
Ah, too bad I missed all this... I went on Saturday. I'm usually there Sundays but this weekend was different. I'm mostly on the pistol steel line with my Kimber in a boonie hat. Feel free to say hi if you see me. :)

Butthead
11-21-2007, 6:57 AM
Gentlemen,

It was a pleasure meeting all of you and thanks for the good time. It was my first time to the Angeles range and will be back often. It was my first time shooting over 200 yards (I am a new shooter, usually shoot at Lytle Creek) and it will be hard to go back to the local range after having 600yards with targets. Now I have the itch for 1000 yards and beyond (although that little red pig will die again if he comes back - lol - too much fun).

I too am easy to spot at the ranges as I am 6'"5" about 275lbs and always wear a Mad Science T-shirt. Stop by and say hello and try Windrunner if you like.

Gregg, what did your son think of that nickel round?

CSACANNONEER
11-21-2007, 7:21 AM
Gentlemen,

It was a pleasure meeting all of you and thanks for the good time. It was my first time to the Angeles range and will be back often. It was my first time shooting over 200 yards (I am a new shooter, usually shoot at Lytle Creek) and it will be hard to go back to the local range after having 600yards with targets. Now I have the itch for 1000 yards and beyond (although that little red pig will die again if he comes back - lol - too much fun).

I too am easy to spot at the ranges as I am 6'"5" about 275lbs and always wear a Mad Science T-shirt. Stop by and say hello and try Windrunner if you like.

Gregg, what did your son think of that nickel round?

Thanks again for the sample round. He's with his dad for a couple weeks. Maybe we'll just use it for a stocking stuffer. Doesn't every 14 year-old need a few rounds of 50 for Xmas? (If he wants more than a few round, he'll have to load them himself!)

50 Shooter
11-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Butthead,
Good meeting you, I've got you added to my list to let you know when we shoot. Not sure if CSA is on my list but I think he is, if anyone else wants to be added just let me know by PM.

jandmtv
11-24-2007, 9:23 PM
Anyone going to be at Angeles Range tomorrow? ill be there with my AR and AK again, come up and say hi if you see me.

Butthead
11-25-2007, 7:39 AM
I went yesterday. It was warm and windy. De-flowered two more shooters to the wicked ways of the .50 cal. I shot every last AMAX and solid round I had. Nothing but AP rounds left. Gonna need to scope out that spot in the desert you guys go to to shoot that stuff, also have some tannerite I want to try out so it might be a fun day. Any of you have exact directions or gps coordinates to get there? I need to get new supplies in so I can get back out there shooting at the local ranges as well.

Ben how are those new solids you recently picked up? I need to get info from you on how to get a couple of hundred to try out in my rifle. What powder are you using? Is there any ballistic data available for them?

jandmtv
11-25-2007, 4:58 PM
deleted

CSACANNONEER
11-25-2007, 7:19 PM
deleted

jandmtv
11-25-2007, 7:23 PM
deleted

CSACANNONEER
11-25-2007, 7:34 PM
deleted

Butthead
11-25-2007, 9:14 PM
OK OK. Whats with all these deleted messages?

mrkubota
11-25-2007, 9:33 PM
Ben how are those new solids you recently picked up? I need to get info from you on how to get a couple of hundred to try out in my rifle. What powder are you using? Is there any ballistic data available for them?

(sorry for the late reponse, I've been out of town for Thanksgiving in AZ...)

The new Lehigh solids are shooting great for me!
They're lighter by ~100gr than the previous solids, but are more consistent and shoot to 1/2moa from my BFG with the surplus WC868 powder.

Ballistically, they are the same as military M33 ball.

They sell for .95 ea. plus shipping. All taxes included.

//Ben

ar15barrels
11-25-2007, 10:02 PM
deleted.