PDA

View Full Version : Procedures for giving a family member a shotgun

1919A4
11-14-2007, 9:29 PM
I want to give my brother in law a shotgun as a gift. I still have to have him dros it right. I forgot to add. He also lives in California.

bwiese
11-14-2007, 9:31 PM
Ah just saw the updated post.

If it's just "any ol' family member", yes. Brother-in-law doesn't count, you gotta run it thru an FFL>

[If it's your grandparent/parent/child/grandchild who also resides in CA, just hand it over - as these specified interfamiliar transfers are exempt. ]

The shotgun, of course, cannot be an AW.

hitman13
11-14-2007, 9:31 PM
dependson who it is.

straight up / down bloodline = no paperwork / no dros

brother / sister = yes
*however if you give it to your dad and he gives it to your brother because he doesnt like it then no, since that would be straight up, then straight down your bloodline*

1919A4
11-14-2007, 9:46 PM
Cool, Thanks for the replies Gents.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Here are the only two legal paperless "brother-in-law" scenarios I can think of...

You give it to your dad.
He gives it to your sister.
She gives it to her husband (your brother-in-law).

or

You give it to your wife.
She gives it to her dad.
He gives it to his son (your brother-in-law).

As mentioned above, all parties involved would have to be California residents for these to be legal paperless transfers.

1919A4
11-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Your saying this would actually work? And is Legal??
You give it to your wife.
She gives it to her dad.
He gives it to his son (your brother-in-law).

I have two of the same shotguns. I purchased one for myself and one for the wife. Although they are both in my name she could actually take the one when we go to visit and give it to her dad. He will look at it and go, na. I dont like it. Here you go son. While we are on our visit there will be no shops open for a dros. There is only one shop in the whole town and they are closed for the holidays. So if we can legally go this route and be legal that would be great. Must be 100% legal though.

opinions please.
Would it be better to just have Irvington send to the FFL in the town where he lives.

hitman13
11-16-2007, 11:37 AM
yes, it would be multiple inter family transfers, perfectly legal

jandmtv
11-16-2007, 11:38 AM
is it legal for a husband to give his wife a handgun without dros?

hitman13
11-16-2007, 11:38 AM
oh yeah my opinion: do it

hitman13
11-16-2007, 11:40 AM
is it legal for a husband to give his wife a handgun without dros?
she has to have a HSC and they have toprint a form off the internet, fill it out and send it in with i think 19 dollars, no FFL or waiting periods though.

IIRC it is legal for her to possess her husbands handgun regardless.

some counties let you put your spouse's handguns on your CCW

jandmtv
11-16-2007, 11:41 AM
ok thanx

1919A4
11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Cool, Thanks for the info

lrdchivalry
02-02-2008, 8:56 PM
Ah just saw the updated post.

If it's just "any ol' family member", yes. Brother-in-law doesn't count, you gotta run it thru an FFL>

[If it's your grandparent/parent/child/grandchild who also resides in CA, just hand it over - as these specified interfamiliar transfers are exempt. ]

The shotgun, of course, cannot be an AW.

Good to hear because I gave my father two of my handguns and then started to worry about needing to do a PPT. My dad did mention a form and the $19 dollars.