View Full Version : My first DIY rebarreling job on an AR15

11-14-2007, 9:56 AM
I finally got around to buying a new barrel and the tools to rebarrel one of my AR15 service rifle uppers last Sun/Mon.

The upper in question is a used Compass Lake Engineering that I use for practice at the local range (non-competition use). Frankly, I didn't really need to rebarrel it that badly, but I sort of wanted to try rebarreling an AR since I never did it before. So I figure this would be the perfect opportunity to do so.

So after ordering a new 20" Service Rifle competition barrel with FSB, matched headspaced bolt, new NM gas tube, and some small parts from White Oak Armament (http://www.whiteoakarmament.com), along with the action vise block and the DMPS armorer tool from Brownells, I went to work.

Picture Gallery (http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/v/shooting/firearms/service_rifle_hp_ar15/cle_practice_upper_rebarrel_20071111/) - 41 Photos

It was just slightly more difficult to rebarrel the AR than it is a Savage 10/110 series. It could be done in about 30 minutes, but it took me a few hours because I did a thorough cleaning of the upper receiver after I took the old barrel off and I had to clean some adhesive tape off the float tube.

The action vise block and the armorer tool are well worth the $70 or so bucks combined to be able to do your own AR-15 rebarrel jobs.

11-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the write-up! Let us know how the WOA barrel shoots.

11-14-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm sure it'll shoot great. My current competition upper is a WOA complete upper that I bought last year.

I won't get a chance to break in this barrel until Thanksgiving Day weekend. I have the Twentynine Palms Regional and LEG this Sat and Sun.

11-14-2007, 4:23 PM
I finally got around to buying a new barrel and the tools to rebarrel one of my AR15 service rifle uppers

It's only just begun...

At last count, I have around $800 worth of AR specific tools.
They are certainly not all pictured above.
That picture is quite old now.