PDA

View Full Version : Old fab10, new upper - fit issues?

eagle6
11-14-2007, 12:22 AM
I have come across an older Fab10 lower and plan to build on it. I have not worked with one of these before and heard there might be fit problems with some uppers. I will probabaly get an LMT/Bravo/CMMG upper. Anyone know if there have been any issues regarding fit between these and the Fab10? How about other uppers?

NORCALWRECKCHASER
11-14-2007, 12:35 AM
My buddy has a Fab 10 with a Bushmaster 16" upper it seems to work just fine. can you be more specific as to "fit problems"

C.G.
11-14-2007, 12:45 AM
My FAB-10 lower (which now sports .338 LM bolt action upper), was fine on upper to lower fit. It was out of spec on the buffer retaining pin, however.

tenpercentfirearms
11-14-2007, 5:45 AM
I have never heard of any issues. Just try it and if you run into problems, let us know. I use FAB-10s as my display guns and they have Stags, CMMGs, and RRAs uppers on them without any problems.

maxicon
11-14-2007, 9:19 AM
I have 2 Fab 10 lowers. One had a manufacturing mistake - the hole for the takedown pin retaining pin wasn't drilled - that that doesn't affect function or fit, just lets the takedown pin come all the way out when you pull it.

The other one had the pivot pin hole drilled slightly off axis, and that caused the upper to rub on one side as it closed. The extra pressure made it almost impossible to pull the takedown pin once it was closed. I opened up the holes a wee bit and it works fine now. Another calgunner told me he had a Fab 10 with the same problem.

After the repair, I've put a DPMS, CMMG, and 2 J&T uppers on both of mine with no problems. That said, maybe I've just had bad luck, but there's no way I'd buy another Fab 10 unless it was well under $100...

NRAhighpowershooter
11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
I have one of the earliest FAB-10's (number 007X) and it works perfectly on all 6 of my different uppers. from my 11.5 (5.5FS) up to my 26" spacegun upper.....

CSACANNONEER
11-14-2007, 3:31 PM
My Fab10 (#LG005X) works with everything from my BM 14.5" upper to my ALS 50BMG upper.

eagle6
11-14-2007, 8:17 PM
I appreciate all the comments. I had come across comments that fit around the curve at the base of butt stock attachment area was a problem and that as some manufacturers of uppers do not meet milspec that other alignment issues were also a problem e.g. such as pin hole alignment as mentioned. It sounds like issues are quite minor.

Thanks all!

mxpatriot51
11-14-2007, 9:23 PM
I have never heard of any issues. Just try it and if you run into problems, let us know. I use FAB-10s as my display guns and they have Stags, CMMGs, and RRAs uppers on them without any problems.

Tenpercent, how come you use FAB lowers instead of OLL's?

C.G.
11-14-2007, 9:34 PM

It is for the children!:D

tenpercentfirearms
11-14-2007, 9:38 PM

The DOJ has used baseless claims to take some of my products before. I reduce my risk by displaying the complete Stag rifles I am selling as FAB-10s and then completing the Stags in a compliant manner after the customer decides how they want me to modify it. I also don't trust them as far as the MMG or U15 go so I put those on FAB10s as well.

At home I have no problems keeping all of these products on OLLs. #1 they are not going to come to my home and take anything unless they are dead sure it is illegal and I would be happy to take them up on that court case (my DA won't so I am not worried about it). #2 I have a registered .50 BMG so I am looking for them to give me a reason to take it some AW charges to court so we can find out if my theory on 12280(o) and 12285(a)(1) and (2) are correct.

I don't mind having a Bullet Button build at the shop because they DOJ can't unscrew an Allen screw like they can on a Prince50 and claim I had an assault weapon. And if they want to take a Bullet Button build, I wouldn't mind taking them to court on that and bringing up my Superior Lowers while I am at it.

Dealers should definitely have a different outlook on risk than you common guys. You are the small fish and we are the big fish. Hopefully under the Brown Administration all of this is moot and he keeps his underlings under control.